Turn on thread page Beta

when should i start revising for my AS exams? watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Depends on how many you've got. I had 9 to do in the summer so I started revising early March and it paid off. Regardless of how many you've got, if they start in May I wouldn't be any later starting than mid-April. You need to do as many past papers as possible.

ReputationRep:
    hhmmm

ReputationRep:
    Seriosuly start as early as possible. start with the notes don't pressure yourself so much. its earlly stages but begin with notes, then a month before exams you;ve got good notes infront of you. and alot of time read over things.

I plan to begin during the halfterm which starts for me next wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    Now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by casiogeek)
    yeah im doing biology, english literature (dont have a clue why), geography and maths! i had a biology and maths exam in january and only did about 3 weeks of revision, but i learnt everything i needed to know
    I'd start Geography soon. I did more work for Geography than I did for all my other AS levels combined, even though it was the least important. There's just so ******* much of it, so many facts and case studies to learn. So I'd just start soon, nothing too heavy though, you don't want to burn out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for Easter holidays, I don't see any point starting now when I haven't even finished the syllabus for 3 of my subjects

ReputationRep:
    i think it's a good idea to recap on things in half term. then in the easter holidays basically revise your socks off, i know it's in the holidays, but it's a small price to pay for potentially good grades. Besides study leave is pretty soon after easter holidays for most schools, so that will take some pressure off when it comes to studying in your study leave period.

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing reasonable amounts throughout the year; e.g. making notes on a unit after I finish it, as well as at any opportune moments, such as the Christmas holidays. But I tend to work better when I can just spend a whole day concentrating on revision, so I'll probably do a fair whack over February half term, but not much either side.

ReputationRep:
    Just revise things constantly so you don't forget stuff. Start now but build up.

Best way to revise is by going through stuff so it goes into your long term memory...also doing ALL the past papers really helps

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna start a little bit over half term then properly start revision over easter. I've so much homework/coursework going on now anyway plus after my January modules i think you need to take a break to relax a little before you burn out.

ReputationRep:
    TBH don't start now or if you do just keep going through the first few parts of the module. By the time of the exams, if you start right now you'll forget everything trust me!

ReputationRep:
    Start now! but take it easy you could revise each AS unit every 2 days or so of the week, so that you've enough time
    to do A2 stuff(more important than AS). Or you could do a morning session maybe say every wed/thurs on AS overview basically
    looking back over what you've learned over the AS year sort of reminder to help you plan your revision effectively. And Good luck I'm in the same boat as you:p:

Set out your plan of action on a big A3 sheet and stick it to the wall in your room

ReputationRep:
    The more you go over stuff now, the less you have to cram nearer the time and you're less likely to forget things you do earlier on

ReputationRep:
    You would certainly not be unwise to start now, considering the level of content in the exams.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your own ability.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly more than a month in advance. The weeks fly by >_>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    Not the day before

I'd work out how much you need to do and try and spread it out a bit. I know some people in subjects like maths are starting to do 1/2 past papers a week, it means they won't have to cram and it builds it up steadily. I was going to start Feb half term but I'll probably start March in reality, as I know I won't focus this far in advanced :o: Just do whatever feels best for you, although cramming rarely works.
    theres only one problem with that. if ur doing a new spec, there arent many past papers to do lol

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you look over notes for 20 minutes every evening. Repition is the best way of holding onto information.
    No need to properly start revision until easter probably, and even then, not overly intense.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'd suggest just making sure you understand what you're doing as you're going along, and try to learn it whilst you are studying. so revision really is just recall + a reminder rather than from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    When it suits you.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.