Turn on thread page Beta

One day at a time (The slimming world diet)- my blog watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    lol it's very very very hard to eat healthily in nursing!
    Erm why? And you can't be serious about having sausages, fried eggs and bacon for breakfast... what the **** do you eat when you're not on a diet?

ReputationRep:
    You know, it's far easier just to do it yourself and just cut down on food altogether.

Me = no breakfast, no snacks, no lunch, big dinner, half a chocolate bar, no fizzy drinks (maybe one can of coke, this is the hardest part tbh).
    I'm not really tempted by food, if I'm hungry or not I won't eat unless my head wants to. Does that make sense? Yday all I had was half a pret sandwich (at 9am), then 3 slices of bread and 3 slices of bacon at 10pm. Just water in between. Today I'll probably have a big dinner though so it balances, sorta.

Works well enough for me. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    the problem is sub

you like to go on about SW as if it's the worlds most amazing 'scientifically' grounded, 'system'

stop praising SW so much and we'll stop *****ing about it's many many flaws

Its not amazing, it has flaws, it can be confusing at times, and a lot of people do do it wrong and it doesn't work. However, it works for me, i enjoy it and it's something i'd suggest to anyone who's got a high BMI and looking for a way to loose weight appropiately and to keep it off. Everyones approach to weight loss, a healthy lifestyle is different according to their needs. Someone may find xenical works for them, whilst one may find a VLCD works..others may also just find they just need a calorie controlled diet and counting works. Either way, its a personal aspect, and this blog is here to log my food and excercise plan. You've already been reported for inappropiate comments, if you have nothing nice to say or constructive, say nothing at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    You know, it's far easier just to do it yourself and just cut down on food altogether.

Me = no breakfast, no snacks, no lunch, big dinner, half a chocolate bar, no fizzy drinks (maybe one can of coke).

Works well enough for me.

aw man, do you not feel like dying after?

I used to always skip breakfast, but now i work long shifts and on my feet if i don't eat, usually after 4 hours i feel faint, get headaches etc. At uni if i'm just doing lectures i do tend to eat a lot less, but also do less excercise- so i'm hoping to up my excercise at the moment whilst i'm not shift working

ReputationRep:
    aw man, do you not feel like dying after?

I used to always skip breakfast, but now i work long shifts and on my feet if i don't eat, usually after 4 hours i feel faint, get headaches etc. At uni if i'm just doing lectures i do tend to eat a lot less, but also do less excercise- so i'm hoping to up my excercise at the moment whilst i'm not shift working

Hm, no not really. I just feel a bit hungry, but no big deal. I'm really hungry right now, haven't eaten since last night, but I still won't eat anything until around 6PM tonight.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, no not really. I just feel a bit hungry, but no big deal. I'm really hungry right now, haven't eaten since last night, but I still won't eat anything until around 6PM tonight.

Blimey, i couldn't do that, but what works for you! Are you loosing weight or maintaining?

ReputationRep:
    What are you trying to achieve? Is it some sort of sponsored pre 6pm fasting thing?

ReputationRep:
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Darcie*)
    Why?
    (Original post by AdaD)
    What are you trying to achieve? Is it some sort of sponsored pre 6pm fasting thing?

I only eat one meal a day, so my calorie count never really goes above 800/900.

Plus I'm going out with my dad tonight, who always tries to feed me up, so I balance it by not eating anything before/no coke.

ReputationRep:

Plus I'm going out with my dad tonight, who always tries to feed me up, so I balance it by not eating anything before/no coke.
    What's the aim, anorexia?

It may make a tiny bit of sense if you weren't hungry, but you are. Bizarre.

ReputationRep:

Sounds insane but each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdaD)
    What's the aim, anorexia?

It may make a tiny bit of sense if you weren't hungry, but you are. Bizarre.
    Well they probably have like 200/300 calories a day, so no, not really.

And I'm hungry, big deal, I'm not about to pass out.

ReputationRep:
    good luck OP! Slimming World Rules btw I started last December and I lost over 2 stone and it really does work

ReputationRep:
    lol it's very very very hard to eat healthily in nursing! It's not rubbish, its not a fad diet, and it is promoting healthy eating and excercise, but just as calorie counting works for some- or a gastric band may work for others, slimming world works for me. I did say I don't want any negative comments about my diet, any questions or suggestions are welcome, but not this. It's inappropiate and not fair

Err not really the shifts that I do in a care home are very similar to nursing shifts and I have actually lost weight! Because I don't have time to snack and only have a half an hour lunch break, I just eat food that I have brought with me - a lot of fruit! So I get my 5 a day. I find it easier because I can only eat whatever food I bring with me so it keeps me healthier! and I do so much walking up and down corridors that it keeps me fit!

Whatever works for you I suppose but things like that can make you end up yo-yo dieting. Where as if you do more of a lifestyle change eat healthly aswel as eating what you want and do regular exercise, you are more likely to keep your weight constant & stick to it for longer.

ReputationRep:
    This is how yesterday went

Breakfast: Mushy peas, scrambled egg and onion, quorn sausages, 1 pork sausage and 2 slices of lean bacon
    Lunch: Pork and apple salad, I wasn't a huge fan of it, but it did fill me up. I enjoyed the rice more than anything
    Dinner: Tuna stirfry, again not a massssive fan, but it was all gone!
    Dessert: Highlight of my day! Was lovely, made a vanilla mousse with sweetner, quark, white options hot chocolate satchet, vanilla essence and mixed in some chopped strawberries, was loveeely!

Total syns had: 13/15 (i had a special k bar at uni library after gym)

Excercise#
    It went quite well yesterday, i did a 30minute power walk at a steady incline on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the cross trainer and 20 minutes of toning, ie ab crunches, weights etc.

Meal plan for the 3/2/10

Breakfast: Special k cereal (30g) with skimmed milk bananas and strawberries and a muller light yogurt
    Lunch: Mushy pea curry sauce and syn free chips
    Dinner: Diet coke chicken with salad

Healthy B choice = Special K cereal
    Healthy A choice = Skimmed milk
    Free food = mushy peas, potatoe, rice, chicken, diet coke and muller light yogurt
    Superfree foods: bananas, strawberries, onion, chopped tomatoes, pepper, lettuce, cucumber, carrot

Excercise plan: I'm hoping to go to the gym again, do 10 minutes on the cross trainer, 10 minutes on the bike and another 30 minutes on the treadmill like yesterday, maybe see how i feel but take it within my limits, and as part of my toning i'm planning to go to a body balance class

So far i've had breakfast, am really full already so am going to start making my lunch and warm it later. Am feeling very tired and lazy today though!

ReputationRep:
    Me = no breakfast, no snacks, no lunch, big dinner, half a chocolate bar, no fizzy drinks (maybe one can of coke, this is the hardest part tbh).
    I'm not really tempted by food, if I'm hungry or not I won't eat unless my head wants to. Does that make sense? Yday all I had was half a pret sandwich (at 9am), then 3 slices of bread and 3 slices of bacon at 10pm. Just water in between. Today I'll probably have a big dinner though so it balances, sorta.

Works well enough for me. :dontknow:
    Even slimming world is better than this Please eat properly. It's not healthy at all and you need to be careful as this may lead to anorexia! You can also end up getting a lot of deficiencies eating this way and not getting enough fruit and veg is not very good either. Do you get at least 5-a-day?

Doesn't matter if you don't feel hungry you still should try and eat at least 3 meals a day with snacks (fruit etc ) in between! Or if you find it hard try and eat 6 small meals a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)

Whatever works for you I suppose but things like that can make you end up yo-yo dieting. Where as if you do more of a lifestyle change eat healthly aswel as eating what you want and do regular exercise, you are more likely to keep your weight constant & stick to it for longer.

do you know enough about slimming world to make this judgment?

It's not a yo-yo diet, and it's not necessarily about the food, but also making the right choices and excercise. I really reccomend you do some research into commercial slimming groups such as weight watchers, slimming world as there is a heavy amount of research of them being benefical to those who're overweight and obese and are also within the NICE guidelines for weight and obesity management and to top it off for those with a BMI over 30, it's on a referral scheme from a practice nurse, same goes for weight watchers. Purely because it's not a crash, or fad diet.

ReputationRep:
    do you know enough about slimming world to make this judgment?
    It's not a yo-yo diet, and it's not necessarily about the food, but also making the right choices and excercise. I really reccomend you do some research into commercial slimming groups such as weight watchers, slimming world as there is a heavy amount of research of them being benefical to those who're overweight and obese and are also within the NICE guidelines for weight and obesity management and to top it off for those with a BMI over 30, it's on a referral scheme from a practice nurse, same goes for weight watchers. Purely because it's not a crash, or fad diet.

Sounds very similar to weight watchers. It sounds ok for short term - If you're obese then I suppose it would help you lose a lot of weight! but you can't carry this on for the rest of your life? For the long-run healthy eating and exercise is the best plan! Otherwise it will become a yo-yo diet. Where you lose lots then have trouble maintaining it.
    I know a few people who do weight watchers & slimming world and they have lost a few stone - put it back on - lost it... over years. So yes it is a quick fix and helps you lose weight but just wait until you get down to the weight you want - maintaining it is the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Sounds very similar to weight watchers. It sounds ok for short term - If you're obese then I suppose it would help you lose a lot of weight! but you can't carry this on for the rest of your life? For the long-run healthy eating and exercise is the best plan! Otherwise it will become a yo-yo diet. Where you lose lots then have trouble maintaining it.
    I know a few people who do weight watchers & slimming world and they have lost a few stone - put it back on - lost it... over years. So yes it is a quick fix and helps you lose weight but just wait until you get down to the weight you want - maintaining it is the hardest.

Which is why slimming world has its own section for those who reach target, and also why when you do you can go to classes for free to ensure you maintain? Plus the diet doesn't promote a 'quick fix' but a slow and healthy weight loss of 1-2lbs a week, if people put on weight after they stop doing it thats not slimming worlds fault but the people themselves for not acsessing he resources available to them. A yo-yo diet is one which encourages fast weight loss, unhealthily, but more weight is put on after, if you use all the resources available to you, and stick to the diet and be sensible when target is reached theres no reason why it should be a problem.

It IS a healthy eating plan, with a structure, group support and acssess to help for those who need it. Many people who are overweight or obese know how to eat healthily as the information is thrown at them, but whether they stick to it, or have a structure is a different matter. Plus it also promotes excercise, you have a goal depending on what your inital activity level is, and you keep a log etc. I really suggest, especially if you're going into nursing next month, look into research behind community and PCT initatives into tackling the obesity problem. When giving out health advice, to a 27yr old woman who has just had a baby but also struggling to loose weight, just saying 'eat healthy and excercise reguarly' won't help. I've suggested slimming world to a lot of patients when having discussions to them about their diet and weight, my last ward even had slimming world leaflets to give out at preasessment if weight needed to be lost

ReputationRep:
    Recipes

Thought i'd post some recipes on here from what i've had today- they're new to me, but als VERY yummy and low fat!

1. Curry sauce (any curry sauce, can be used with chicken, meat, veg..whatever!)

Ingredients: Mushy peas
    Quark
    Low fat yogurt
    Chopped tomato
    Chopped onion
    Mild/medium curry powder
    Garlic

Throw the mushy peas and quark in a pan and mix up to produce a creamy pea-slush, and then add the tomatos and chopped onion and leave to simmer on a low heat for around 10 minutes, then add the low fat yogurt, garlic and mushy peas and leave to simmer for another 10 minutes, and voila!

2. Meatballs

Ingredients: Lean mince
    Chopped tomato
    Chopped onion
    Grated carrot
    Grated celery
    Garlic & Ginger
    1 egg
    Parsley

Throw all the ingredients together, no measurements depending on how much you want to make. And mix up with your hands (make sure they're clean) until the mixture is sticky and you can make one BIG meatball with it, then seperate and make small balls with the mixture and place on a plate with clingfilm, and stick in the fridge for 10 minutes. After, place on baking sheet on an oven tray, and oven bake for around 20 minutes, until the meatballs are brown and not pink on the inside, serve with a tomato based pasta sauce and spaghetti

3. Syn free chips

1. Chop a potato into chip like shapes
    2. Place in a pot of boiling water, for around 5-10minutes until they look fluffy
    3. Drain the water, and shake the potato to 'fluff it up' a bit
    4. Place on a baking sheet on an oven tray and spray some fry light over, cook for 5-10 minutes until brown. If you want you can add spices, salt etc- they go great with the curry sauce!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.