Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How bad is it if I go just a tad bit over 1 page in my CV? At the moment my sections are: Education, Work experience, Other Experience (eg. volunteering), Languages and interests, and I will be about 5 lines over.. I know that more than one page is supposed to be for professionals, people who have been working for a long time, or crazy ass post-grads, but I'm seriously wondering what I shall remove...

Help?

ReputationRep:
    If you go over a bit you might as well go to town and make it a full two sides. Its not too bad but one side preferred.

Its impossible to know what you should do without seeing it.

ReputationRep:
    at Uni here we are told CVs should be two pages long, so I think 2 pages is fine, hasn't done me any harm anyway.

ReputationRep:
    While I seemed to have more success with a one-page CV than a 2 page CV, if you're going to use 2 pages, use the full side. It's not the worst thing in the world.

Saying that, see if you can merge some sections. Other skills/languages, volunteering and work experience may be able to be put under a general "experience" heading.

Also, personal tip, use the header and footer sections if it's only just going over, and save it as a PDF file. Nobody's the wiser.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly you should stick up to one page. However, if you do have loads of experience worth mentioning - it is better to go to the second page than not to mention it/try to pack it on one side. Nevertheless, do it ONLY if you really feel that the information can improve significantly your CV and ONLY if you can fill with the content (the quality one!) an entire page.

wadex3 also gave you a good tip regarding PDF - it really works.

eh? i always thought a 2 page CV was the norm. thats what all the examples in our careers centre are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    eh? i always thought a 2 page CV was the norm. thats what all the examples in our careers centre are.
    Nobody fully reads a CV so it might as well be as short/impactful as possible.

The stock ones often have secondary education as a fifth of a page whereas it should be three lines max.

They often have address and references which again aren't needed on a CV.

ReputationRep:
    Make it two pages, if its going to be two pages of quality - Nonsensical waffle will piss off potential employers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvilSheep)
    How bad is it if I go just a tad bit over 1 page in my CV? At the moment my sections are: Education, Work experience, Other Experience (eg. volunteering), Languages and interests, and I will be about 5 lines over.. I know that more than one page is supposed to be for professionals, people who have been working for a long time, or crazy ass post-grads, but I'm seriously wondering what I shall remove...

Help?
    Since last friday I had the impression a 2 page CV was sufficient however a major employer lectured us last friday and told us 1 page should be enough... unless you have done super things which are going to be useful to the business add it in otherwise anything that is not going to impress like he gave an example I only want to see your maths sciense english grades not really bothered about the others I only want to see others if youve got all A* or something exceptional which makes you stand out from the rest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by analk)
    Since last friday I had the impression a 2 page CV was sufficient however a major employer lectured us last friday and told us 1 page should be enough... unless you have done super things which are going to be useful to the business add it in otherwise anything that is not going to impress like he gave an example I only want to see your maths sciense english grades not really bothered about the others I only want to see others if youve got all A* or something exceptional which makes you stand out from the rest
    It depends, if you have all A*s (I'm guessing you mean for GCSEs) then there is no point listing them. 10 A* GCSEs will do. MY education is formatted like this:

St Peters School - Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire
    GCSEs (June 02): 3 A*s, 5As and 2 Bs
    'A' Levels (June 04): English B, Geography B, Mathematics A, Physics B

Even without the A Levels (not what I actually did btw) people can guess my maths/english GCSEs are fine.

If someone is more on the B-D range for GCSEs then yes they need to specify.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    It depends, if you have all A*s (I'm guessing you mean for GCSEs) then there is no point listing them. 10 A* GCSEs will do. MY education is formatted like this:

St Peters School - Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire
    GCSEs (June 02): 3 A*s, 5As and 2 Bs
    'A' Levels (June 04): English B, Geography B, Mathematics A, Physics B

Even without the A Levels (not what I actually did btw) people can guess my maths/english GCSEs are fine.

If someone is more on the B-D range for GCSEs then yes they need to specify.
    yep exactly anything less than a B is not really necessary... but im talking about big industries.

ReputationRep:
    my CV is just over a page.

I would have put languages under "Other skills" with computer knowledge etc etc and so forth.

If the things on your CV are all very relevant and useful then it is worth including them.

ReputationRep:
    1 page

ReputationRep:
    One page.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.