Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my first year of college doing my AS levels; Maths, Economics, Business and English Language

Was just wondering if it's possible to get any work experience at this stage (such as shadowing someone at my local bank) or something like that. Anything that would boost my chances of getting into a top Uni (besides good grades).

Much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Drop a CV to Killik & Co. It's unpaid, but they do give you real responsibility (within limit) and you can learn a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Are they American-only based or UK (any offices close to Portsmouth?)

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you do some research yourself?

ReputationRep:
    my advice. ask around family and find extended contacts/family friends. you should be able to come across someone who is your dad's best friend at schools ex girlfriends brother. Or something like that. I did a couple of weeks in a midcap M&A boutique when i was 16 because my mum's bestfriend from schools husband is a partner.

Id say that is the best chance you have of getting anything in your AS Level year. I do know that a couple of banks offer some kind of work exp in, but i dont know of the procedures. Citi are one.

ReputationRep:
    this is getting silly. there have been loads of threads on this issue. Please do some research on here. its really getting annoying seeing multiple threads on this. what happen to common sense?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair there is information on work experience for IB on here, but the vast majority is for A2 students (I understand it's hard to come by this early into my A Levels along with my age). Just trying to get ahead of the game

ReputationRep:
    I cold called Banks and Fund managers every summer between the ages of 15 and 20 and managed to land some kind of work experience every holiday. Think small boutiques and mid sized IM/AM firms since they're usually more likely to accommodate work experience kids (less red tape and all that).

we need a sticky here.

'ATTENTION: PRE-UNIVERSITY WORK EXPERIENCE THREADS'

and whoever clicks on it get redirected to the search function.

honest suggestion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrontRunner)
    Are they American-only based or UK (any offices close to Portsmouth?)
    some firm do insight programs suitable for students finishing A-Levels, I think JP Morgan do, and there must be others. Just check out the career sections on their websites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by II ANALYST)
    I cold called Banks and Fund managers every summer between the ages of 15 and 20 and managed to land some kind of work experience every holiday. Think small boutiques and mid sized IM/AM firms since they're usually more likely to accommodate work experience kids (less red tape and all that).
    Please,Please...
    Can you give me there names and if you can remember their numbers if you can't then I will try and look for their numbers on the internet.

If you could remember the intreship you did between 16-18 that would be a good list, to list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjon123)
    Please,Please...
    Can you give me there names and if you can remember their numbers if you can't then I will try and look for their numbers on the internet.

If you could remember the intreship you did between 16-18 that would be a good list, to list.
    Why don't you come up with your own list? From the looks of it, his list might be pretty outdated at this point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Why don't you come up with your own list? From the looks of it, his list might be pretty outdated at this point...
    Yeah, but am sure his list might not be outdated. Anyway I have come up with a list, here it is:

The BrokerageCity LINK
    WF & Deutsche Bank
    JP Morgan
    Talent.Uncut
    Killik & Co

I am looking to expand it, so if you can help add some to my list.

ReputationRep:
    Costa
    Starbucks
    Pret
    Nero (may be beyond your reach, but worth a shot)

Making coffee is an integral part of being an analyst, and is good experience to have on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    Costa
    Starbucks
    Pret
    Nero (may be beyond your reach, but worth a shot)

Making coffee is an integral part of being an analyst, and is good experience to have on your CV.
    Heard one guy become a waiter for his summer intership to show he can multitask in a busy environment while dealing with annoying clients and doing grunt work. He didn’t get the job!:eek: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Heard one guy become a waiter for his summer intership to show he can multitask in a busy environment while dealing with annoying clients and doing grunt work. He didn’t get the job!:eek: :p:
    You joke, but in a grad interview I had a few months ago, my interviewer actually said: "I don't care about your internships, they fill a gap on the CV but don't tell me what you can actually contribute, interns add no value. Tell me about this job as a waiter you had through uni."

ReputationRep:
    You joke, but in a grad interview I had a few months ago, my interviewer actually said: "I don't care about your internships, they fill a gap on the CV but don't tell me what you can actually contribute, interns add no value. Tell me about this job as a waiter you had through uni."
    Yeah, I head they find your summer holidays more interesting then your internship. Like one guy connected with the interviewer and many other analyst just because he learnt MMA in some camp in Thailand. Obliviously he had the average requirements but he said that really helped him secure the job.

On another note, have you seen the mergers and inquisitions site? The more recent article was talking about Dubai. http://www.mergersandinquisitions.co...banking-dubai/ I am quite tempted to apply. You get a $30,000 housing allowance on top of your salary, which is the same as the London office, plus you can switch to New York or London for some banks. Damn that’s a good offer. Also, seeing as most of them are Muslims you get a less face time in the summer and Dubai is no Saudi Arabia less strict with a decent sized British/Australian/American population and you get your own “Philippines or “Ethiopian” servant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    One of my MDs said one of the things he liked most about my CV was that I'd worked as punt chauffeur and BSed the transferable skills really well. He said it's nice to have some interesting and entertaining to discuss, rather than seeing carbon copy after carbon copy.

Do something unique and fun. **** work experience in a bank.
    What's bsed if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing you studided at cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    What's bsed if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing you studided at cambridge?
    Bull Sh---ted

ReputationRep:
    Bull Sh---ted
    Lol

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.