Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I was absolutely delighted to receive an offer to study law at Durham recently. However, I have read some absolutely awful things about the law department and now I'm completely confused. I've heard the teachers don't care about you, that the law environment is cold and unpleasant and that students get zero support? this does not seem to match Durham's wonderful reputation. I am an international student and I don't want to be making a huge mistake about my choices and find myself stuck in this miserable course. Is Durham the place to study law?

ps: also have offers from bristol, exeter and nottingham, how does Durham compare?

some honest feedback would really help me I am in desperate need of some advice!:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e.gret)
    Hi! I was absolutely delighted to receive an offer to study law at Durham recently. However, I have read some absolutely awful things about the law department and now I'm completely confused. I've heard the teachers don't care about you, that the law environment is cold and unpleasant and that students get zero support? this does not seem to match Durham's wonderful reputation. I am an international student and I don't want to be making a huge mistake about my choices and find myself stuck in this miserable course. Is Durham the place to study law?

ps: also have offers from bristol, exeter and nottingham, how does Durham compare?

some honest feedback would really help me I am in desperate need of some advice!:o:
    What makes you think Durham itself is a wonderful place? I think otherwise...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    What makes you think Durham itself is a wonderful place? I think otherwise...
    Saaaaaaaaaame, it's bent.

ReputationRep:
    Durham is a brilliant place and I really enjoy the law course. It's well taught and they give you a lot of resources to work with. Not much more I can say. Most of the lectures are engaging and the tutorials are well run.

ReputationRep:

Tufts (I think) basically thinks everything you've said.

ReputationRep:
    What you'd rather prefer Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Law at Durham this year and have had zero problems with teaching quality, the department or tutorials. Durham is an awesome place, the nightlife is hilarious as long as you appreciate its really who youre with that makes a night rather than where you go. Dont be intimidated law here is really not that bad

ReputationRep:
    i'm glad I have heard some positive remarks. Durham seems like a beautiful place and I'll give it some more thought, although i'm not too thrilled about van mildert college..doesn't have that cozy feel:P..is that silly to say

ReputationRep:
    TBH I don't think any college feels cozy until you are there, experiencing it. I know people say "Oh huzzah, I'm going to Castle yah, it's going to be so magical" but all the architecture in the world won't be so specific to how you enjoy your time in your College.

Also, I think it's perfectly natural to have reservations about all aspects of university applications - whether that's the institution, the course, the college, the night life....etc.

ReputationRep:
    Van Mildert will be a lot more cosy than universities that don't have colleges at all.

ReputationRep:
    Of course some people will have an issue with the law dept but I think that has go to do more with them than with the dept itself! I'm studying Law at Durham now and whilst it is quite difficult (as a law degree should be IMO) the lecturers are experts in their field and happy to help plus we are all now designated an Academic Advisor who you meet with at least once a term or more if you need to! Mildert's only problem is that it is a good 20-30 minute walk from your lectures and tutorials so prepare to wake up way in advance for 9 a.m lectures etc. Good luck and feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

ReputationRep:
    i'm glad I have heard some positive remarks. Durham seems like a beautiful place and I'll give it some more thought, although i'm not too thrilled about van mildert college..doesn't have that cozy feel:P..is that silly to say
    EXTREMELY silly. Mildert's wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stacy_T)
    TBH I don't think any college feels cozy until you are there, experiencing it. I know people say "Oh huzzah, I'm going to Castle yah, it's going to be so magical" but all the architecture in the world won't be so specific to how you enjoy your time in your College.

Also, I think it's perfectly natural to have reservations about all aspects of university applications - whether that's the institution, the course, the college, the night life....etc.
    Fantastic post.

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer for Law at Van Mildert too.

Don't know what I'm gonna do. That doesn't help you. I just wanted you to know someone else is worried about Durham law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiranM)
    I've got an offer for Law at Van Mildert too.

Don't know what I'm gonna do. That doesn't help you. I just wanted you to know someone else is worried about Durham law.
    Why are you worried?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Why are you worried?

Well I just don't wanna make the wrong decision. I'm sitting on an offer from Nottingham as well which is ranked better that Durham for law. I like both universities from different reasons, so actually coming down in favor of one has me worried. The 'what ifs' of the situation scare me!

ReputationRep:
    Well I just don't wanna make the wrong decision. I'm sitting on an offer from Nottingham as well which is ranked better that Durham for law. I like both universities from different reasons, so actually coming down in favor of one has me worried. The 'what ifs' of the situation scare me!
    How do you mean 'ranked'? You really shouldn't hold much faith in rankings. By far the better approach would be to visit both places and see which one you think you'd be happier at and look at the course content and see which degree you'd prefer to study.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about Nottingham, but Durham seems to have law firms outside the lecture theatres at least twice a week giving out free things and leaflets about their companies! (Top law firms, not random ones!)

The law society's great too, they take students to lots of open days in London and the North East, and the Law School & Society are forever having sponsored bar crawls/drinks with firms/Law School dinners, etc.

League tables really aren't everything - within a group of 5 or 10 ascending unis in the list there's probably little difference, and do you honestly believe that having a better research score translates into better teaching? Or that your satisfaction will be exactly the same as the average graduate from that course? No. Obviously they're good at pointing out the differences between the top and the bottom of the table, but have a look at the top law firms' milkround lists and Durham'll be on there for sure. Durham's particularly renowned for its law school, so providing you get a 2:1 and take part in Durham life (societies, sports, etc.) fully, you should have great chances for internship and graduate applications.

ReputationRep:
    Anything less than about a 5 place separation is totally irrelevant. Nottingham and Durham are equally prestigious in the real world so choose whichever place you like more, they are extraordinarily different cities.

ReputationRep:
    By all means give the matter careful consideration but don't lose sight of the fact that you're choosing between two options that are both excellent - neither choice is going to ruin your life, so try not to worry too much. Easier said than done, I know - good luck.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.