Turn on thread page Beta

What aspects should I look out for when reading gothic novels ? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing coursework in AS English and it's based on gothic.. what should I look out for in the novels ?

ReputationRep:
    Gothic literature is broadly literature which deals with supernatural or just plain scary events, intended to induce fear and suspense in the reader. As suggested in the name 'Gothic', which means 'medieval' in this sense, Gothic fiction tends to be about the dark and mysterious past encroaching on the present. This manifests itself in stories set in crumbling castles, etc.

I'm sure if you search for 'Gothic literature' you'll find some information on the internet. Wikipedia has quite a good article on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_one)
    I'm doing coursework in AS English and it's based on gothic.. what should I look out for in the novels ?
    I am studying 'The Gothic' as a genre currently and there are lots of elements:
    female desire, post structuralism such as subversion, gothic setting, the supernatural, the uncanny, liminal spaces. Feel free to ask anymore help if you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph0708)
    I am studying 'The Gothic' as a genre currently and there are lots of elements:
    female desire, post structuralism such as subversion, gothic setting, the supernatural, the uncanny, liminal spaces. Feel free to ask anymore help if you want
    Hey, thanks what texts are you studying ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_one)
    Hey, thanks what texts are you studying ?
    No worries!
    Bram Stoker's 'Dracula'
    'The Bloody Chamber' by Angela Carter (sort of feminist gothic, very good)
    'Paradise Lost' John Milton

and you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph0708)
    No worries!
    Bram Stoker's 'Dracula'
    'The Bloody Chamber' by Angela Carter (sort of feminist gothic, very good)
    'Paradise Lost' John Milton

and you?
    Also dracula and the bloody chamber
    I am not too keen on the bloody chamber itself though.. probably because i am not familiar with the fairytale that carter based it on :/
    How do you find studying gothic ?

ReputationRep:
    Dracula: Blood, the 'other', fear of invasion, transformation, sexuality, pursued protagonist.
    The Bloody Chamber: Blood (obviously!), sexuality, female protagonist.
    I've not studied Milton so I can't help you there, sorry

ReputationRep:
    i did my entire essay on the gothic literature. i used dracula and the haunting of hill house bny shirley jackson.so you cld look at these:
    the setting,atmosphere,language,dict ion,characters and their development through the novel, supernatural, psychological effect of the the elements on the characters, literary devices like imageries, themes, etc., females, males, the main conflicting issue of the novel. for example in dracula its science v/s the traditions of the Carpethians, maddness, the architecture, the tone, the myths,tales or the historical basis of the novel, and what ever you think that is striking abount the novel.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.