Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,
    i am going to ring my gp in the morning, but until then i wonder if you can help.
    today i woke up with eczema around my eyes, it looks a little like i have been crying or been punched!
    it's not been too bad all day, but now it is starting to sting and make my eyes quite tired and sore. is there anything i can do to relieve this until tomorrow.
    moisturiser doesn't seem to be working, and obviously i don't want to put hydracortizone (sp) on my eyes!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    you can put it around your eyes, its not that strong.
    theres not really much you can do im afraid. see your doc as you said :o:

ReputationRep:
    Try E45, your doc will probebly give you diprobase which does the job for me.

If it's stinging take a long shower, then put loads of moisturiser on afterwards and keep applying every few hours. What are you using btw? Some stuff can irritate it further.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, I remember having eczema around my eyes and all over my neck - horrible I looked like a baby rat.

No type of skin cream seemed to work for me (thankfully it only stayed there about 8 weeks) and it only inflamed it more. So I'd be cautious with the creams that your doctor might prescribe for you - though of course if they work then great! If it doesn't work, might I suggest Chinese herbal doctors? Expensive (well for us proletariats :o: ) but worth it!

E45 is also supposed to be great. Hope it gets better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skittlesftw)
    hi guys,
    i am going to ring my gp in the morning, but until then i wonder if you can help.
    today i woke up with eczema around my eyes, it looks a little like i have been crying or been punched!
    it's not been too bad all day, but now it is starting to sting and make my eyes quite tired and sore. is there anything i can do to relieve this until tomorrow.
    moisturiser doesn't seem to be working, and obviously i don't want to put hydracortizone (sp) on my eyes!
    thanks

creams like E45

use the hydrocortizone too, it shud help

and maybe use some vaseline to trap the moisture in ur eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakuj0)
    Oh god, I remember having eczema around my eyes and all over my neck - horrible I looked like a baby rat.
    you made me giggle then, thanks!
    i used E45 once when i was younger, but it made it 10 times worse! i'm a bit scared to use it again. usually i get hydrocortizone, but i have never had it round my eyes, and the tube i have says 'DON'T USE ON EYES OR FACE' (the capital letters and everything!)
    thanks for your advice though. i wonder what caused it!

ReputationRep:
    I've had this recently. I bought a very weak hydrocortizone that I bought on the advice of my pharmacist for £5. That + diprobase sorted it. I wouldn't bother with E45. It's aqueous and pretty rubbish at sorting out eczema once it's bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skittlesftw)
    you made me giggle then, thanks!
    i used E45 once when i was younger, but it made it 10 times worse! i'm a bit scared to use it again. usually i get hydrocortizone, but i have never had it round my eyes, and the tube i have says 'DON'T USE ON EYES OR FACE' (the capital letters and everything!)
    thanks for your advice though. i wonder what caused it!
    Oh I see I haven't personally tried E45 so yeah..

Oh and I'd advise against using vaseline. Someone told me that it traps dust into your skin really easilyand could just irritate your skin further... I don't know to what extent that is true but the thought of vaseline on such sore and broken skin made me avoid it!

ReputationRep:
    My doc prescribed me hydrocortizone for use on my face but warned me to use it sparingly. It should be fine as long as you don't over do it.

Ask you doc for Dipobase tomorrow, I've had eczema a few times and it's always sorted it out.

ReputationRep:
    Don't touch your eyes too much, reduce your sugar intake and stress.

Whenever your eyes feel itchy, wash them out with cold water, and obviously do not rub ur eyes.

I'd the best cream is E45 that is on the market

ReputationRep:
    My sister gets this really badly, as well as patches on her arms, and the steriod creams she gets do help a little bit but you're not meant to use them for too long since they thin the skin. She has found that cutting out fragranced products helps quite a lot. I also get horrific dermatitis on my hands when I use fragranced stuff so I would try cutting out as many perfumed products as you can and see if that helps at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.