When did you start programming? Watch

mig213
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Just a question to anyone and everyone: at what age did you start programming (even simple stuff) and at what age did you deem yourself experienced in at least one language (and how much of that language did you know, briefly)?

The reason I'm asking is just out of pure curiosity!
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i started... err this time last yearish.

and i've never classed myself as experienced. yeh with time i could probably write you a program to do what you wanted. but it would take a very long time, with me looking up lots of stuff etc.

no way can i remember all the random functions, or even methods for doing some stuff.
darkraver
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I started around age 10/age 11. Literally typing on download.com (my favourite website back then) 'How to create programs', after a while I found out about VB (can't remember if it was 5 or 6) and somehow managed to download a copy on a 56K. But all I did was make fancy GUI's, since I knew little about actual programming, apart from MsgBox function.

I think it wasn't until when I was 12 I started making games using 'RPG Maker 2000' where I learned about programming logics (if statements and simple variable stuff). Eventually I learned HTML and PHP and slowly started to grasp programming concepts. Also did basic Delphi/Pascal , Java, C++ and LUA in between.

The main programming languages I use now are PHP, JavaScript and Java. PHP is a bit like cheating, if you can access the documentation, you can program just about about anything. I don't consider myself experienced in any one language, but I do think I'm experienced with understanding the logics of programming in general, which I think is more important than fully understanding a language.

Although I'm hoping to learn C and IA-32 assembly very soon, when I sort my university crap.
Magma828
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was first introduced to an actual programming language (Java) when I was 12, but I'm a slow learner and only now at the age of 17 would I consider myself as even slightly experienced in the language. There's just so much to programming!

I started learning PHP and MySQL at the age of 15ish and that took me around 6 months to fully master as it's a really simple language and I enjoy web development much more than standard software.
QuantBrain
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I started summer last year. I'm 17 now. I'm hell of a lot more experienced now though - self taught
username356677
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I tought myself HTML when I was 14, simples. Started to learn Java last year, still learning now
/^We(stie|z+[e|a]r)$/
Report 8 years ago
I was force fed HTML at school when I was 11, and I started to like it. About three years later, I learned a scripting language for a game, which led me onto PHP and mySQL, etc. I've been scripting PHP for about three years now (I'm 17).
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was doing some BASIC using QBASIC on an old 386 when I was around 6, maybe 7. Got pretty good at it back then, though I've forgotten most of it now!
Baron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I didn't do any real programming until I was 18 and started uni. We did a lot of Java at uni and Java is what I've mostly been using since leaving uni - so I feel really comfortable with it now, but am always learning stuff (more so with regards to general programming practices/patterns and supporting frameworks, rather than the core language itself)
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I started programming lessons when I was 10 or 11 I think.

I don't really know what it means to be experienced in a language. It's also hard to know what counts as experience of a particular language or just general programming experience.
Chrosson
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1) Dunno
2) HTML isn't programming (it's just like latex - words with some formatting)
3) Learning to program isn't as important as knowing how to program imho.
/^We(stie|z+[e|a]r)$/
Report 8 years ago
2) HTML isn't programming (it's just like latex - words with some formatting)
Or if you want to be really pedantic, it's a markup language.

3) Learning to program isn't as important as knowing how to program imho.
Yeah, I suppose, for example knowing how to implement a language rather than having a knowledge of a language.
Chrosson
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by /^We(stie|z+[e|a]r)$/)
Or if you want to be really pedantic, it's a markup language.
I don't . However, you are correct, I just couldn't think of the words.

Yeah, I suppose, for example knowing how to implement a language rather than having a knowledge of a language.
Exactly. This is why learning to program in java or C is (initially) a bad idea - there's a library for almost anything, and you start learning the list of useful ones.
What you should be doing is learning about complexity because otherwise any code you write involving repeated processing will be *****.
Dayum
Report 8 years ago
I started at around 11-12, my first app was a "who wants to be a millionaire" quiz written in QBasic :P

GOTO statements FTW!
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dayum)
GOTO statements FTW!
Whatever you do, never say that in a job interview:p:
StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Started: Summer 2009
Language: Java
gastrogeek
Report 8 years ago
Started when I was around 13/14
Language: Basic/Assembler
When I got 'experienced': Around 2002
Language: C/C++
Chrosson
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gastrogeek)
Started when I was around 13/14
Language: Basic/Assembler
When I got 'experienced': Around 2002
Language: C/C++
Sorry? You learned basic at the same time as assembler? Talk about a range of languages!

Or are you talking about this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Bas...embly_language ?
Dayum
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Whatever you do, never say that in a job interview:p:
Hehe, don't worry I don't!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.75%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.68%

Watched Threads