Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New job - advice on faking confidence please! watch

Well a lifetimes worth of bullying has left me incapable of functioning socially. In fact I have all the symptoms of social anxiety disorder - though that's a self diagnosis.

I've never had a proper job before, but I've just managed to get one in a shop, starting in a few weeks.

I'm scared I'm going to get fired immediately because I scowl all the time, look at the ground, mumble, stand around looking akward and self concious etc. I really can't help it, and I'm not bad tempered...

I know that I should just bite it back, force a smile and confidence but how the hell can I do that?

Seriously, any advice, I'm desperate.

ReputationRep:
    Starting a first time job can be nervous, but you'll be fine. It's nothing difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Practise with yourself in your bedroom. Act out the role play with a customer coming in, you doing the selling, etc.
    Just.. 'force' it.. then slowly slowly it will become more and more normal.

Go on.. just take a deep breath and go for it.

Don't know what else to say tbh ..

ReputationRep:
    It's completly different when you're a staff member, cause you're doing your job and it just comes out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    It's completly different when you're a staff member, cause you're doing your job and it just comes out.
    this. you'll be surprised how easily it comes.
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    Just think this is your job and you want to keep it. Be friendly, smile... do whatever the other employees are doing. If you feel yourself getting overly-anxious, calm yourself down and don't let it get to you.

Ok, I will practice in front of the mirror. EEk! Thanks for the replies guys!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.