Turn on thread page Beta

New job - advice on faking confidence please! watch

Well a lifetimes worth of bullying has left me incapable of functioning socially. In fact I have all the symptoms of social anxiety disorder - though that's a self diagnosis.

I've never had a proper job before, but I've just managed to get one in a shop, starting in a few weeks.

I'm scared I'm going to get fired immediately because I scowl all the time, look at the ground, mumble, stand around looking akward and self concious etc. I really can't help it, and I'm not bad tempered...

I know that I should just bite it back, force a smile and confidence but how the hell can I do that?

Seriously, any advice, I'm desperate.

ReputationRep:
    Starting a first time job can be nervous, but you'll be fine. It's nothing difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Practise with yourself in your bedroom. Act out the role play with a customer coming in, you doing the selling, etc.
    Just.. 'force' it.. then slowly slowly it will become more and more normal.

Go on.. just take a deep breath and go for it.

Don't know what else to say tbh ..

ReputationRep:
    It's completly different when you're a staff member, cause you're doing your job and it just comes out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    It's completly different when you're a staff member, cause you're doing your job and it just comes out.
    this. you'll be surprised how easily it comes.
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    Just think this is your job and you want to keep it. Be friendly, smile... do whatever the other employees are doing. If you feel yourself getting overly-anxious, calm yourself down and don't let it get to you.

Ok, I will practice in front of the mirror. EEk! Thanks for the replies guys!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.