Turn on thread page Beta

Whether/How to tell a girl how I feel? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for posting this anon, but it's quite embarrasing - I'm nearly 22 and am struggling with how/whether to ask a girl out.

Firstly me, as I said I'm currently 21 and have only had one previous relationship - which was 3 years ago now. I'm naturally very shy and whilst I'm getting better I still struggle with face to face interaction. My last relationship just kind of happened - it was somebody who I'd really liked at school and when I moved back into the area she tracked me down and we just kind of embraced - there was no asking involved on either side.

I've been workig for my current employer for 2 years now, and the lady in question has been there for about 6 months. I've always had a very good raport with her, as she's a fellow "geek" so we have quite a lot of common interests and can have a laugh with each other.

If I'm honest, I've been very attracted to her since her first day - and this hasn't escaped the attention of my other co-workers - however I've remained entirely professional and just kept things friendly, although mainly because I have been to shy to take the next step.

Last week she asked me to go out for a meal with her and "some of the guys", however it ended up being just the 2 of us as the others didn't show up, and we had a really nice evening together - just enjoying the food and each other's company. The conversation flowed very freely (without drink) and I felt really relaxed in her company - however I just couldn't work up the courage to say how I feel or ask whether she has the same feelings.

As a side note, I now know that the other guys from work had already told her in advance that they wouldn't be coming, so it was only ever going to be the two of us.

I just don't know how to work up the courage to take the next step, and how best to approach it when I do!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I don't know whether it has any relevance or not, but she's 4 years older than me too.

ReputationRep:
    go for it, i mean it sounds like you get on really well and if she's organised that evening to be just the 2 of you then there must be something there for her too..
    dont just leave it.. you will always wonder what could have happened if you do.

ReputationRep:
    dood, I'd bust in your jugular just so you get the testosterone rush to ask her out

ReputationRep:
    When you are on your death bed, in however many years time you wont regret it.

Anon Fail

EDITh, ok. you meant the 'new account' type of anon.

ReputationRep:
    As soon as you ask yourself the question "should i?" the answer is always yes!

But how to tell her is totally down to you. In my opinion it's a bad idea to go in there with a plan or a set way to go about it, just go with what feels right... :yep:

Quit over thinking it and go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, clearly she likes you at the very least platonically, go for it and you won't regret it

MAybe like " oh, that was fun last time we were out, you want to do that again some time?"

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like she must have some idea that you like her. Unless she's stupid, which in that case, don't date her.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, such a positive response, thanks!

Nothing for it but to jump right in then I suppose. I might mention another local restaurant which I like, and suggest that we try it out, as we had such a great time the other night - or something along those lines. Whatever "feels" right at the time I guess.

ReputationRep:
    As you were all so supportive, I thought I should give you a quick update.

We're going out on Friday night to the local steakhouse

ReputationRep:
    :five: awesome, nice one.

Hope it goes well for you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.