Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to choose Hull or Essex for my insurance uni for modern languages.
    For some reason I seem to be leaning towards Hull but I've been to neither and I doubt I will before results.
    Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Essex - Red brick, more prestigious and the Uni itself is decent. Hull's alright tbh, but I personally wouldn't choose it if I had to choose between the two, that's just based on the Uni in general (my mother went to Essex Uni)

ReputationRep:
    Essex isn't a redbrick university! It was one of the new 1960s universities. Hull is generally considered to be a redbrick, albeit not one of the original few.

"The University of Essex is a British campus university located near the town of Colchester, England. Established in 1963 and receiving its Royal Charter in 1965, the University has established itself as a centre of excellence for humanities and social sciences, and is highly rated in the United Kingdom and the world for the fields of sociology, philosophy, politics, history, linguistics and economics."

If you think there is a chance that you may not get the grades for your firm, you really need to visit both to decide which you prefer as they are very different types of universities.

ReputationRep:
    Essex is the better university in ranks and in town and in looks

been to both to look around and you would rather be in colchester my room mate does spanish at essex and is loveing it.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I see from the university tables, Essex is higher than Hull but not by any significant margin, in fact in both of the Times' tables it is only one place higher which doesn't really make any difference at all.

I have friends at Hull and they all love it, in fact, 2 of my friends there do languages. The campus is very nice apparently. My grandparents live in Hull and the city isn't as bad as people say. It has good shopping and plenty to do, and is much larger than Colchester is.

Your best bet would be to visit them and see which one you like the most. I'd rather go for Hull though I think.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.