Turn on thread page Beta

Train tickets are so expensive!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devan5)
    Basically, I want to get to Leeds from London for an open day. Bought a 16-25 railcard and was justy checking prices for the 10th feb on national rail and a return costs me £50 plus.

Both my parents work, so they're not an option... any ideas how to get cheaper train tickets???
    give us some details! what time do you want to get there etc etc

ReputationRep:
    try splitting your journey up. like if your train goes through birmingham buy london to birmingham then birmingham to Leeds. You can split the journey up as many times as you want. You can stay on the same train you just have tickets for different legs of the journey, its perfectly acceptable by the train companies and can save you ALOT! Also go off peak, a ticket from where I live to london at peak times costs about £60, travelling off peak and booking in advance I can go for £3

ReputationRep:
    I travel by train a lot but always try and book as far in advance as I can, and also split my tickets on pretty much every journey that I do. Find out where the stops are on your train and buy a ticket from London to there, and then there to Leeds.

As people have said, also try National Express coaches and Megabus. It'll take a bit longer to get there, but could be a lot cheaper. When I don't have much money left I get the coach up to my bf's from London to Darlington and it's usually only £6-7 and that's further away than Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devan5)
    Basically, I want to get to Leeds from London for an open day. Bought a 16-25 railcard and was justy checking prices for the 10th feb on national rail and a return costs me £50 plus.

Both my parents work, so they're not an option... any ideas how to get cheaper train tickets???

Trying to get there for 10.00 -10-30
    Hey, try east midlands london to sheffield, they have cheaper routes.

You are taking the direct train, the proper fancy one.

I mean go if you want a direct train

but its cheaper if you go london-sheffield-leeds

ReputationRep:
    ... Just plan in advance.
    I've got tickets home (York to Oxford) for £9.50 before, with a YPR.
    It's do-able, you just need to book more than a month in advance.

Apart from that, look for different options - the train tickets that my boyfriend bought from Edinburgh to York last week were £25 for that trip, or £10 for Edinburgh to Birmingham, and it stops off in York (so I'm hoping he's going to hop off there!). Try breaking up your journey, too.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    buy two singles - often works out cheaper esp for leeds to london. and go off peak times, obviously

ReputationRep:
    It's a joke, but I find by booking tickets a month or more in advance, I can get them for a fraction of the cost. Ie - one way travel on the day £41, advance single £9.55. Trouble is advance singles are non transferable/refundable :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    It's a joke, but I find by booking tickets a month or more in advance, I can get them for a fraction of the cost. Ie - one way travel on the day £41, advance single £9.55. Trouble is advance singles are non transferable/refundable :fuhrer:
    if you don't use them you can claim the money back of National Rail. I think they take an admin fee, so in some cases, it isn't worth asking for your money back.

ReputationRep:
    I got a £12.55 single from Bath to sheffield by booking very early. www.eastcoast.co.uk is a very good easy site with no booking fee-much recommended!

You can book any train on there but try checking the network site for offers!

ReputationRep:
    eeriikaa how have you set up your online portfolio coz i have to do one for Manchester Met and i just wondered how other people set theres out too, i have to use 'blogger' for mine :confused: xxx
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What you need to do is check at different times of the week and day, prices can be as little as half price if you do. Ive found there usually cheapest at like 2am in the morning or exactly a week and a day before you leave. Also dont go to the national rail website, go to National express.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    if you don't use them you can claim the money back of National Rail. I think they take an admin fee, so in some cases, it isn't worth asking for your money back.
    Advance singles are not refundable. They can generally be changed in advance for a £10 administrative fee, but you won't get a refund.

ReputationRep:
    book it advance next time.. costs me 6.25 one way to get from london to leeds that way.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I remember only 2 years ago wanting last minute tickets to Scarborough from Warrington, got them for like £10 last minute but if I booked about 1-2 weeks in advance was £5 single with railcard, same for Warrington to Carlisle could get tickets for £4.95-£8.95 booking like 8 days in advance, now I try Carlisle to Warrington and you are lucky if you get one ticket for £4.95 which gets you in just before midnight to Warrington and only about 3 days a week and the actual advance fare is the same or like £1 cheaper for buying both ways than getting a return that you get a month to use the return portion in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmargh)
    eeriikaa how have you set up your online portfolio coz i have to do one for Manchester Met and i just wondered how other people set theres out too, i have to use 'blogger' for mine :confused: xxx
    Going off the topic of the thread, love.. aha. I'll PM you :]

ReputationRep:
    Yep, definitely try www.eastcoast.co.uk it's where I always buy my tickets from. No booking fee, plus I just love the layout, can compare times and prices so much easier than on most other train sites.

ReputationRep:
    Returns are almost always more expensive than singles. Try buying two singles (one for the outward journey, one for coming back) and that should make it less expensive.

It also depends on the company. The 16-25 railcard seems to work better with First Great Western than Cross Country or London Midlands, as the latter companies don't accept it on some routes.

ReputationRep:
    Book them further in advance off thetrainline - it's a lot cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    megatrain.com

ReputationRep:
    I hate the fact that to get a train ticket at a reasonable price I have to plan when I want to go home three months in advance...I don't want to do that! I mostly have to settle with paying for either an £86 or £145 on-the-day return ticket (London to Leeds) due to work commitments and the fact I want to travel when I want.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.