Turn on thread page Beta

LSE or Imperial MSc Finance? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've recently been accepted for both LSE MSc Finance and Imperial College MSc Finance (and also risk management and financial engineering - they let me have my second choice as an option too o.0).

Does anyone have opinions on which course is superior? I'm split between the two at the moment. Also still waiting on Cambridge MPhil Finance which is my number 1 choice (but a long shot).

I couldn't have LBS as an option as I only have internship experience in finance and they seemed to want people with full work experience.

ReputationRep:
    What do you plan on doing after the Msc?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully get a job in an IB in the trading side rather than the M&A side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makaveli121)
    I've recently been accepted for both LSE MSc Finance and Imperial College MSc Finance (and also risk management and financial engineering - they let me have my second choice as an option too o.0).

Does anyone have opinions on which course is superior? I'm split between the two at the moment. Also still waiting on Cambridge MPhil Finance which is my number 1 choice (but a long shot).

I couldn't have LBS as an option as I only have internship experience in finance and they seemed to want people with full work experience.
    Imperial, the uni with more kudos. LSE has slipped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by licensedX)
    Imperial, the uni with more kudos. LSE has slipped.
    lol, the LSE has not slipped, and I would say the LSE has more kudos even though I am an Imperial offer holder.

Makaveli I guess LSE is better then seeing as you want to go into IB and LSE produce IB'ers by the bucket load.

I also think the course at the LSE is better, but I am not sure how much better.

edit: I actually think it is A LOT better...LSE is the place for any postgrad degree.

ReputationRep:

just out of curiousity, did you take the GMAT??

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I took the GRE (and got a pretty average 770 quant, 560 verb, 4.0 awa)

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I took the GRE (and got a pretty average 770 quant, 560 verb, 4.0 awa)
    do you mind PMing your stats to me?....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mlsbbe)
    If I am not mistaken, I think you are the person who performed a detailed analysis of 'probability of acceptance to Mphil Finance' in last year's thread. Some thing like if 'X people applying from top 5 unis nad Y% have a first... ...'. You applying this year too?

ReputationRep:
    I got into Imperial Msc. Finance too. Just wondering how their career placement is? They play up the fact that they are in Kensington and near the hedge funds etc. But not sure how much of a difference that makes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mlsbbe)
    What is your undergraduate degree in? And what was your percentage?

I took the GRE recently too Q780 V540 AWA4

My undergraduate degree is in Commerce (India). Generally the course has a mixture of all subjects like finance, accounting, marketing etc. So I think the background might be a problem.

I have applied for the two year Eco course and two year Ecotrics course. Are my GRE scores sufficient?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henrykravis)
    If I am not mistaken, I think you are the person who performed a detailed analysis of 'probability of acceptance to Mphil Finance' in last year's thread. Some thing like if 'X people applying from top 5 unis nad Y% have a first... ...'. You applying this year too?
    Yes, I did that..but I hope it wasn't taken too seriously..ha ha....=)

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    LSE all the way. Imperial isn't really that good for any subject related to business or management. It's business school is just another business school in the UK.

ReputationRep:

Heyy,

I am in a similar situation to you in that I also have been accepted for LSE MSc Finance and Imperial MSc Finance.. except that I am still doing my undergrad and wheras Imperial gave me a conditional offer of '2.1', LSE want me to get a first (which is just not going to happen).

My best advice to you is to get as much information about what the courses teach, and what would interest you most. For example, I know that Imperial offer an optional module on programming in C++ (something that interests me), wheras LSE has less options on financial modeling and engineering. Look at the brochures, contact some alumni, and if you're still confused email/call the departments to find out more specific information about what the course entails.

Of course as one person pointed out above, it also really depends on what you want to do after. There certianly is vibe going around that if your CV says 'LSE MSc', you are automatically more suitable for IB opportunities than the guy with 'Imperial MSc' - but I don't know whether this is a truth or something conjured up from forum discussions like this. Even if this is the case, it would probably only be true for the top-of-the-top IB departments - and you have to ask yourself the question of whether you really want to do that as a career choice.

So when you ask which course is 'superior', it really matters on what your definition of superior is. In terms of graduate opportunities, i'm sure you could get statistics that show that LSE is slightly better at getting graduates into job city jobs. But if you're asking about which course is more challenging/academically rigorous/enjoyable - i would not be so quick to put LSE ahead of Imperial. It is a matter of personal preferences.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial Job stat info: Class of 2007/08 for Msc finance, only 57% had job offer upon graduation.

Warwick: Msc finance 2007/08: 90% had a job 3 month after graduation.

Unfortunately do not have the statistic for job offers upon graduation in Warwick. working on it.

ReputationRep:
    ^ that's kind of expected because Warwick is amazing for finance, and the related subjects.

I would expect that the remaining 10% went on to do further studies or venture into business of their own.

ReputationRep:
    Having worked in IB for a number of years, alongside quants (though not a quant myself), I can tell you that neither course would have an advantage over the other. What matters most is how well you network among the finance academics (many finance faculty work as consultants in IB) and how well you perform at interview. I would recommend the course which interests you the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)
    ^ that's kind of expected because Warwick is amazing for finance, and the related subjects.

I would expect that the remaining 10% went on to do further studies or venture into business of their own.
    i was accepted to the Warwick MSc Finance, but after seeing the campus/area I am going to stick with something in London. it is also a 12 month programme which includes a dissertation which means you would have to complete your dissertation while working as an analyst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)

Keep up the good work! I can tell you that you are held in high esteem (and discussed) by the Warwick students/grads on TSR! We don't need tp participate in Warwick vs XYZ discussions as you represent us adequately! (Serious!)

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.