Turn on thread page Beta

Is changing the UK voting system a good idea? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you like to see the FPTP system changed in General Elections?
    Yes
    56.86%
    No
    43.14%

ReputationRep:
    We see a Labour plan to give the people of the UK a referendum over changing the voting system in which we elect our MPs and ultimately our PM.

The most likely system is yet to be set out, but the vote will go to the Commons next week. We have to hope this isn't a three line whip otherwise we may be seeing the slow deterioration of the First Past the Post system that has worked for many years.

We could end up with a form of proportional representation that always leads to a minority goverenment and coalitions left right and centre. possibly an extremist uprsising aswell.

Is it a good idea or not? Vote, yes or no and comment why, with the system you wish to see. let's see what turn out we get.

No, its not a good idea.

Labour are manipulative little ******* and the fact that they have plans to change the voting system just as they are on their way out should set alarm bells ringing.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely its a good idea, I don't want PR though, AV and AV + are not PR. But both would be far more democratic and also encourage more inter-party debate which I think is good for politics.

ReputationRep:
    Would changing the system lead closer to needing a codified constitution though? It seems that really, we don't need messy, non constitutional politics when it comes to forming a government.

ReputationRep:
    They are changing it to AV...
    Not exactly a good system...
    My personal preference is AMS because you vote for a candidate and a party.

Labour have had thirteen years to change the electoral system. Now it is their reserve policy to "ensure they win". Its ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    We need a change desperately. People are disaffected with mainstream politics and the best way to solve this would be a change in the voting system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    No, its not a good idea.

Labour are manipulative little ******* and the fact that they have plans to change the voting system just as they are on their way out should set alarm bells ringing.
    Labour may be doing for the wrong reasons but the Conservative equally are only opposed to reforming the voting system because is doesnt benefit them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNV)
    Labour may be doing for the wrong reasons but the Conservative equally are only opposed to reforming the voting system because is doesnt benefit them.
    Actually, AMS benefits the Conservatives the most out of any electoral system.
    Labour benefits hugely from FPTP.

Lib Dems and smaller parties will benefit from any proportional representation.

My personal favourite is AMS though. It allows you to vote for a candidate and a party. Which means I could vote Lib Dem candidate but Conservative Government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Actually, AMS benefits the Conservatives the most out of any electoral system.
    Labour benefits hugely from FPTP.

Lib Dems and smaller parties will benefit from any proportional representation.

My personal favourite is AMS though. It allows you to vote for a candidate and a party. Which means I could vote Lib Dem candidate but Conservative Government.
    Thats not true because if we had AMS UKIP suport would grow resulting in the Conservatives core support being split.

ReputationRep:
    It is a good idea and the idea of a written constitution . But why are Labour doing it now? Just so they can swing voters to vote for them! Then if they do get re-elected..this whole agenda will be swept to the side again.

Trying last minute tactics to save the sinking ship.

ReputationRep:
    British proportional representation FTW!

I do find the transparency of Labour's motivation entertaining, however this would be a Good Thing, no matter which party institutes it.

To clarify - whatever changes labour make will come in AFTER the election, whatever changes they make wont effect the outcome on May 6th.

Everyones saying its just to get labour to do better, do you all mean that the people will be so happy about this reform they'll swing to labour? Maybe some will, but I doubt that would have that much impact.

Also AV which is the proposed system ensures strong governments, and a local politician who represents you in exactly the same way as FPTP, so those criticisms of reform don't work.

I don't personally see how anyone can prefer FPTP to AV, and I'd welcome this change. I'm suprised that opposing AV is winning this poll so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Everyones saying its just to get labour to do better, do you all mean that the people will be so happy about this reform they'll swing to labour? Maybe some will, but I doubt that would have that much impact.
    Support for STV/AV has traditionally been a LibDem favourite. By advocating AV, Labour are hoping that in a hung parliament they'd be able to use it as a sop to get a Lib-Lab coalition going. I don't honestly expect that something as esoteric as changing voting methods will win many actual votes.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I would like to see AMS implimented in its place, so yes.

ReputationRep:
    I would stay with FPTP.

ReputationRep:
    NO wait to you introduce one of the other methods and ukip and bnp start to gain more votes as under fptp they dont have a chance

this system has it flaws but it keeps out the extremes

(Original post by kidrock22)
    NO wait to you introduce one of the other methods and ukip and bnp start to gain more votes as under fptp they dont have a chance

People have the right to vote for whoever they support, if enough people decide that's the BNP or UKIP then so be it, it's then right that the BNP and UKIP represent them. Do you disagree with UKIP being able to represent us in the European parliament because they're too extreme? I voted for them there, by the way.

Even with AV I don't see much danger of the country becoming BNP. Perhaps in some tory areas UKIP would do quite well. The most significant thing would be how lib dems do though, they'd have the most to gain from this. The greens would also do better too.

How are UKIP too extreme to deserve representation by the way? Who are you to decide who people should be allowed to be represented by?

ReputationRep:

You might as well not let them stand at all. It would be more honest.

ReputationRep:

Yes, but it also keeps everyone else out, from the Lib Dems down. I'm sick of the choice of government being a choice between Lab and Con. Even worse, here in Cardiff Central it's pretty much a Lib Dem safe seat, so I won't get a say in the government at all. PR allows all votes to be represented equally, and so even if the BNP and UKIP pick up seats, so will parties like the Libertarian Alliance and the Pirate Party. Abandoning FPTP can only enhance our democracy.

ReputationRep:
    In one word - no.

It would be done on a partisan basis - for Labour would only implement it in order to scoop up Lib-Dem 2nd preferences. In other words, it would cripple the Conservatives(in England and Wales) and the SNP (in Scotland).

The current system, though unfair, allows the rapid expulsion of unpopular governments. This system would allow Labour to hold onto power. That is not a price worth paying for a more fair system.

Oh, and Gordon Brown's 'pledge' to do this is a farce. He will say it this year, and if a miracle occurs and he wins the next election, he will shelve it quicker than his 'prudence' and magical powers to abolish boom and bust.

Two words to describe Brown. Opportunistic and Useless.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.