Turn on thread page Beta

Is changing the UK voting system a good idea? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you like to see the FPTP system changed in General Elections?
    Yes
    56.86%
    No
    43.14%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    That's a fatuous distinction to make given that larger parties are currently over-represented. Not only that, but imagine that a PR system was put in place. How many Labour and Tory supporters would change party knowing that their vote could result in a representative in Parliament? I think both Labour and Conservative parties would see a drop in their representation in Parliament as parties like UKIP (who would pick up Tories) and the Green Party (would would pick up lefties) made gains. This isn't a simple question of small parties gaining at expense of the large parties, but of small parties getting the representation that they deserve.
    Sorry, you have misunderstood or I have failed to explain correctly.
    I don't dispute that the smaller parties will receive representation that they deserve, I am merely stating that it will damage larger parties and benefit smaller ones - which is obviously the case.

I am not sure about the Greens though -_-
    They may pick up left wing votes, but not all left wingers are eco-freako's.

Labour would certainly lose a number to the BNP.
    Though I entirely agree that the Conservative vote would get hurt by UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Sorry, you have misunderstood or I have failed to explain correctly.
    I don't dispute that the smaller parties will receive representation that they deserve, I am merely stating that it will damage larger parties and benefit smaller ones - which is obviously the case.
    Ok
    I am not sure about the Greens though -_-
    They may pick up left wing votes, but not all left wingers are eco-freako's.

Labour would certainly lose a number to the BNP.
    Though I entirely agree that the Conservative vote would get hurt by UKIP.
    ^They were just two quick examples, I know they're a bit general. In Europe the Green Party got an MEP, didn't they? And the Greens have members in the London Assembly too, so they would definitely gain some representation on a national level, whereas under the current system they have virtually no chance of picking up a seat. How is that fair?

Our FPTP system needs reform, it's just a shame Blair didn't do it following the Jenkins report. It is quite cynical that Brown has seized on the idea now, I don't even know why because 90% of the general public don't even know that other electoral systems exist, and are hardly likely to vote for Labour on the strength of their appetite for electoral reform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    ^They were just two quick examples, I know they're a bit general. In Europe the Green Party got an MEP, didn't they? And the Greens have members in the London Assembly too, so they would definitely gain some representation on a national level, whereas under the current system they have virtually no chance of picking up a seat. How is that fair?
    I believe the Greens have two MEP's actually.
    I am just somewhat sceptical as to how well they will do - I may be proved wrong though

Our FPTP system needs reform, it's just a shame Blair didn't do it following the Jenkins report. It is quite cynical that Brown has seized on the idea now, I don't even know why because 90% of the general public don't even know that other electoral systems exist, and are hardly likely to vote for Labour on the strength of their appetite for electoral reform.
    [New] Labour is a disgrace in my view.

Labour has been in power for over a decade and our economy is on the brink of ruin - They should leave and they should leave now.

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesn't matter anyway, it will not pass the Lords. Brown knew this when he took the issue to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    No, it doesn't matter anyway, it will not pass the Lords. Brown knew this when he took the issue to vote.
    If you are correct Joluk, it adds another reason to the list of why the Lords should be kept

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, the voting system is fundamentally un-representative under FPTP, AV is not the best however, AV+ or STV is much better. But it's better than what we have, it's a start.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.