Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

For a while now I have played with the idea to join the TA. I am a full time student, and wondered if this would affect my studies?

Also, what is the cut off point before you say "naaa, this aint for me". Because I know there is a cut off point in the Regular Army. I know I should make a final decision before I sign up, but I would like that fall back just in case.

Anybody else joined the TA whilst studying at Uni/College? What was your experience like? Would you recommend it?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered the Univeristy Officer Training Corps?

ReputationRep:
    UOTC fits around your studies and is designed for like minded people with an interest in the Army. The T.A will require more commitment and may not fit around your studies, but whatever suits you best My friend and I are going for UOTC over RMR, because of other commitments like girlfriends, family and MMA

ReputationRep:
    I researched and cant find where they do one in the Poole/Bournemouth area. That appealed to me more than the TA at first.

ReputationRep:
    How much commitment do you need for UOTC?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    http://www.exeteruotc.org.uk/?p=about

That should give you a bit of an idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    http://www.exeteruotc.org.uk/?p=about

That should give you a bit of an idea.
    OK, what gives? You just went and did something for someone off your own back with no coercion or benefit to yourself OR indeed flinging google-it-yer-*******-self abuse.

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH PROSTACKER?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sucramdoow)
    How much commitment do you need for UOTC?
    RMR requires a good level of fitness and I would say maybe a little bit more commitment than the T.A *awaits **** storm* The physical standards they require you to be at are huge and they expect you to fit it around your studies.

The guys at AFCO said after we cancelled our PJFT that the UOTC would give us just as much help with training towards a career as a RM/Army Officer. They also said make sure that we didn't always treat it as a drinking club as so many do.
    UOTC commitment isn't massive, with weekends away once a month and one-two nights attending your local unit.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Less than 10 posts and evidently a bit bone but can string a sentence together - benefit of the doubt. I was waiting for one of the almighty OTC or Terrified Army warriors to come along and do their bit. I didn't think it was that helpful either.

ReputationRep:
    Fear Nothing - Cheers for that. I think that is the same commitment you put in for the TA. The only one I can find closest to Poole/Bournemouth is Southampton. Unless they provide transportation, then that could be a possibility.

ProStacker - Thanks for the site. It pretty much repeats what is on the army.mod site.

I'm just worried it might interfere with my studies. I know it is not much commitment, but I would not mind knowing if any student here joined the TA/UOTC and had trouble keeping up with Uni work.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    The TA really does not require more commitment than the UOTC, its one night a week and one to two weekends a month. If you want to do a tour after uni and before going to sandhurst/Lympstone, join the TA. Lots of students join the TA over the UOTC for this reason, the TA is also paid whereas the UOTC is not. Its your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ub2008)
    The TA really does not require more commitment than the UOTC, its one night a week and one to two weekends a month. If you want to do a tour after uni and before going to sandhurst/Lympstone, join the TA. Lots of students join the TA over the UOTC for this reason, the TA is also paid whereas the UOTC is not. Its your choice.
    You absolutely sure about that?

O.P no worries

ReputationRep:
    Yes, UOTCs are completely voluntary. Id suggest to you that you may need to do TA or RMR through uni instead unless youve got a bit of money saved up, itd be difficult to comibne UOTC and a paid part time job. The TA or RMR will give you a better idea of what the forces are actually like, and you will have the opportunity to deploy after you commplete your degree if you wish.

ReputationRep:
    ub2008, please can you ping me a source for cancellation of all UOTC pay in the future? (I.e. a decision for pay past April 2010.) I can't find one, and I'm interested in this, because it has the potential to affect me as well - I see the website still promises pay, but it may be out of date.

ReputationRep:
    Theo1977, Fear Nothing:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6999920.ece

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that just proposed, though? That was my reading of it ...

ReputationRep:
    “Very few private companies spend this kind of money on graduate recruitment. It is an expensive luxury a modern army can do without.” Cheeky gits. Ahh well I guess it will be UAC for me. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Southampton UOTC covers Bournemouth and regularly takes students from there. They don't (or at least didn't two years ago) provide transport, but do pay travel claims. There is a regular train service and the OTC building in Southampton is walking distance from the main station. It's always likely that at least one of the other students from Bournemouth will have a car which you can share.

As I understand it there has been no formal announcement on resuming pay or otherwise for the OTC in the next financial year yet,( ie post 1 Apr 10) but the presumption is funding wil be resumed. Many senior officers are on record ( one on the 6 O clock news tonight) as saying that they understand the serious long term affect cutting OTC funding will have on regular and TA officer recruiting.

However there will be presure on all TA (inc OTC) pay next year and expect it to be concentated more effectively than maybe it has in the past.

You are too late to join the OTC now until Oct this year, and OTC's normally give priority to first years. However if you have a good case for joining then apply, there are often exceptions.

If you want to join the TA then go for it. Plenty of students do it and manage to fit it in around their degrees. However as above, all TA pay will be under pressure going forward and expect them to be picky who they recruit if the don't see you as a long term TA member. It simply isn't worth a TA unit paying you to train for a year so you can leave at the end of university. If however you are serious about staying on in the TA or joining the regular Army then you have a good chance.

You can resign from the TA at any time. Basically you just hand your kit in and leave. As a student in full time edcation you cant be mobilised.

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt TA pay will be cut, they need bods in afghan and they know that there will be a mass exodus if TA soldiers are expected to train voluntarily and then mobilise, all whilst putting their careers at risk. The TA are cheap labour, the government know that they are valubable defence assets. I think TA and OTC pay will go back to pre october levels, (i.e. the UOTC will proably be paid for training).

Bournemouth is covered by Southampton OTC.
    The OTC is not currently being paid unless you are a bursar (have completed AOSB and signed up for after uni) - but they've said we will get paid again in April.
    I can recommend the OTC for sport and social side as well - always lots on.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.