Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

i'm losing weight but i still look the same watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i've been losing weight consistently throughout the past six months but i don't look any different. i still have a 38" waist, i still have moobs and i still pack so much fat in my abdomen and pec region compared to my legs and arms.

i tend to do 30 mins of HIIT cardio on the treadmill (interval training, running continuously then walking etc) and 20 mins on the crossbow strider thing. i do my fair bit of free weights now too...though i barely manage to do 10 reps of 6kg consecutively. i do other things like shoulder press etc.

my diet has improved. i've cut out all the fizzy drinks and orange juice. i drink a lot of water. i'm eating fruit and special K cereal. i'm eating good veg. i'm still eating chicken, pasta, rice - could this be my problem?

i feel like i'm losing weight for nothing. it's worthless if my image isn't changing. what else can i do? i really want to look and feel good by the summer!!

ReputationRep:
    To you it seems as though you haven't changed. But I bet if you got a picture of you 6 months ago and now they'd look completely different.

Try more cardio though and try and cut most sugars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryhonesty)
    i've been losing weight consistently throughout the past six months but i don't look any different. i still have a 38" waist, i still have moobs and i still pack so much fat in my abdomen and pec region compared to my legs and arms.

i tend to do 30 mins of HIIT cardio on the treadmill (interval training, running continuously then walking etc) and 20 mins on the crossbow strider thing. i do my fair bit of free weights now too...though i barely manage to do 10 reps of 6kg consecutively. i do other things like shoulder press etc.

my diet has improved. i've cut out all the fizzy drinks and orange juice. i drink a lot of water. i'm eating fruit and special K cereal. i'm eating good veg. i'm still eating chicken, pasta, rice - could this be my problem?

i feel like i'm losing weight for nothing. it's worthless if my image isn't changing. what else can i do? i really want to look and feel good by the summer!!
    If you´re doing 50 mins HIIT you´re doing it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    ^^30

Even thats doing it wrong though, should be ideally 12-15 mins, 20 max if your really fit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -MaNi-)
    ^^30

Even thats doing it wrong though, should be ideally 12-15 mins, 20 max if your really fit
    30 + 20 = 50

You can thank me for the maths lesson later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    30 + 20 = 50

You can thanks me for the maths lesson later.
    lol my bad i didnt see the extra exercise

ReputationRep:
    As someone else said you can't possibly do 30 minutes of HIIT. Up the intensity and do 15 minutes instead.

And wtf is 10 reps of 6 kg? Do real exercises.

lemmings are hiding under your belly and increasing in numbers, replacing the bulk as you lose it.

ReputationRep:
    86.7 now.

still look and feel the same.

ReputationRep:
    86.7 now.

still look and feel the same.
    Do a proper weights routine for a start, incorporating the big compounds.

There's plenty of sticky's in this forum if you want ideas for a routine. Starting Strength is good.

How tall are you?

I was in a similar position ~95kg, now I'm 76kg and I still look in the mirror and think I look exactly the same, but I get compliments from other people all the time on how much weight I've lost and what not. It's hard to see your own progress, which is why you keep track of it with what you can lift, bf%, weight, etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    Do a proper weights routine for a start, incorporating the big compounds.

There's plenty of sticky's in this forum if you want ideas for a routine. Starting Strength is good.

How tall are you?

I was in a similar position ~95kg, now I'm 76kg and I still look in the mirror and think I look exactly the same, but I get compliments from other people all the time on how much weight I've lost and what not. It's hard to see your own progress, which is why you keep track of it with what you can lift, bf%, weight, etc..
    well done on the weight loss! how long did it take for you to drop all that? were you consistently dropping weight or did it go up and down a lot as you progressed?

my flatmate has a really fancy pair of scales.

my weight is 86.7 kg, my visceral fat is 10% and my body fat is something like 30.1% IIRC.3

i've got a set of dumbell free weights in my room. i do 10 reps of 5kg in my room. i've started it this week. i basically take a break from work, do 10, carry on with work, break and do another 10 etc. i tend to just flex my biceps with the free weights, keeping my elbows tucked in, keeping it smooth and controlled and keeping my back straight. i can feel my biceps tense when i tense my arm. you can't see it but i can feel it lol...

i just really want to be able to be the way i was years ago. i have some stretch marks around my belly button so i get well embarassed to take my top off. is it possible for me to get fit and look good by this summer or is that too ambitious??

ReputationRep:
    well done on the weight loss! how long did it take for you to drop all that? were you consistently dropping weight or did it go up and down a lot as you progressed?

my flatmate has a really fancy pair of scales.

my weight is 86.7 kg, my visceral fat is 10% and my body fat is something like 30.1% IIRC.3

i've got a set of dumbell free weights in my room. i do 10 reps of 5kg in my room. i've started it this week. i basically take a break from work, do 10, carry on with work, break and do another 10 etc. i tend to just flex my biceps with the free weights, keeping my elbows tucked in, keeping it smooth and controlled and keeping my back straight. i can feel my biceps tense when i tense my arm. you can't see it but i can feel it lol...

i just really want to be able to be the way i was years ago. i have some stretch marks around my belly button so i get well embarassed to take my top off. is it possible for me to get fit and look good by this summer or is that too ambitious??
    Join the gym.

ReputationRep:
    I'd guess you're a fairly similar height to me then? (Based on the bf%, etc)

Is there no way you can join a gym? 5kg dumbbells aren't really going to allow you to do very much. At the very minimum you'll need a bench, barbell and squat rack so that you can bench/deadlift/squat. (the 3 main big compound exercises)..

Well I started losing weight last March, I hit my lowest weight in mid November.. I had lots of problems along the way though, had to have an operation done on my back which kept me out the gym a long time, had few problems with uni, a levels etc.. So it wasn't quite as quick as I would've liked originally, but I just kept at it and it slowly came off.. 1-2lbs a week or so on average.

ReputationRep:
    Me too! In fact I was thinking about this today. I've almost lost 2 stone and I can't tell the difference.

I'm a lass though.

ReputationRep:
    I was the same last year... but then I started doing weights inbetween the cardio (i do body pump at my gym and my bf helps me through some stuff in the weights room and then I started to notice a difference Also you probably do look different... as the personal trainers at the gym tell me... you get used to what you look at in the mirror, each day, so you feel like youve lost weight one day and then lost nothing for another 3... but its partly because youve got used to your new weight that you see! Get a tape measure... and do mesaurements of waist, hips etc and see if you actually have lost something Or like me... have a pair of jeans you want to fit into to see if your loosing weight lol... i have a pair of diesel jeans i love but they are waist 30 and recently ive been 32'... but in the last 2 weeks ive cut the sugar and hit the gym and Im back into them.... even tho I dont feel like i look much different!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the motivation!

i'm already joined with two gyms. the one at my uni and the one back home. i have weeks where i would go three times a week and weeks when i'd barely go once. i'm going to keep trying.

ReputationRep:
    If you've lost the weight then you will look different regardless of whether you think so or not, as somebody said if you had a picture of before and now you'd soon notice.

2 Gyms sounds good, just get into a proper routine then and stick to it, because from your last post it seems as though your slacking sometimes. Once you get into the routine, it's easy to stick to it and hopefully you'll start to enjoy it especially when you visbly notice the progress.

ReputationRep:
    Had the same type of problem. thought I looked the same until I compared pics... and now got some new pics from the 1st of Jan, compaing every quarter. Already noticed difference (although Im going the opposite way, trying to pack on some weight!)

Get tape measure and record, thats the only way you can really know. unless you want to measure bf% all the time which is a pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gar)
    Had the same type of problem. thought I looked the same until I compared pics... and now got some new pics from the 1st of Jan, compaing every quarter. Already noticed difference (although Im going the opposite way, trying to pack on some weight!)

Get tape measure and record, thats the only way you can really know. unless you want to measure bf% all the time which is a pain.
    i've started taking photos now. i'll take photos at the end of each month from now on.

i've measured my waist and torso and kept a log of it. i've noticed my tummy being more firmer. i've still got a bit of a belly though.

my flatmate has a really cool set of scales that calculates muscle mass % (mine is 33.1%) and visceral fat (mine is 9%) and body fat percentage (32%). by keeping a log from now on, hopefully i'll be able to realise that i am changing.

i weighed myself today and i weigh 86kg on the dot. i've lost over one stone now.

i'm going to the gym three times this upcoming week and i am going to keep up my diet since it's working. i just hope i start feeling good about the way i look soon because every time i look at myself in the mirror i get frustrated that i'm going to the gym and i'm dieting well and it just feels pointless when i look exactly the same from what i can see.

i'm going to keep at it because sooner or later, if i keep losing weight i'll eventually get to a good figure. i'm impressed with how i've managed to drop the kilos. i'd love to get to 78 by the end of this year. in a matter of six months, i've lost over 7kg so i think i can do it!!

13.5 stones, height = 1.77m and my bmi is 27.5

i've still got a long way to go..

ReputationRep:
    weighed myself today and i weigh 83.7kg!!!!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.