Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Thought it would be good to share our experiences with various student accommodation (and private accommodation) as I'm sure I won't be the only one looking for something next year.


    Blenheim (UPP halls) overpriced, bit of a trek, bit crap.

    Megaclose flat - ended up leaving it because it was such a crap flat. The place was kinda falling apart (all the things you don't notice when you view it) and the maintenance were awful. We wrote letters of complaint and had to get Unipol involved, but I ended up leaving the place for my own sanity.

    Trinity Square - pricey but worth it. En suite, tv in the kitchen, own lockable cupboard in kitchen, little things like that which make it nice. Big fridge/freezer. Bedrooms overlooking the courtyard are pretty noisy and some neighbours are noisy but you can get that anywhere I suppose.

    I'm now looking with Oakletts but I'm a bit wary about going with another student company again.

    Any horror stories or good recommendations?

    I'm with Oak Letts now, they seem ok so far. When we needed a plumber they sent one out same day. I live in the Royal Victoria Court which is really good, and the furniture actually seems to be good quality too - something I think is rare with student flats/houses! Only problem is the walls are pretty thin so if people are playing loud music in other flats you can hear it. But I think that's what happens with most student places really.

    I lived in Blenheim for my first year, didn't really mind the walk too much but it was way overpriced.

    Last year I lived in the Royal Albert Mill which is owned by Kexgill which was good value for money (£65 a week all inclusive) but the beds were really bad quality and it felt a bit too much like halls and not very homely.

    I heard Oak letts weren't so great. Apparently a lot of their houses are not accredited by Unipol? When we were looking for a house last year we wondered why they werent accredited as they only get checked to make sure they are a certain standard.
    By the way I'm just going by what I've heard There are loads of independent landlords though. Just gotta find them!
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2010
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.