The Student Room Group

Twenties outfit for an hourglass? Help!

I'm really stuck - I need an outfit for a twenties-themed party, and I've been looking online for ideas. In the 1920s everything seems to have been designed for a straight-up-and-down figure, with a boyish silhouette (no breasts or hips and no waist). Unfortunately I'm pretty much the exact opposite, as I have a (very) hourglass figure. I have no idea how to dress flapper-style without looking as if I'm wearing a tent (i.e. brick shape on legs!) :eek3: Does anyone have any ideas? I thought perhaps I might be able to get away with a drop-waisted dress - does anyone have any helpful suggestions? Thank you!
Reply 1
I think you could definitely get away with a drop-waist dress, especially if it were sleeveless.

Otherwise, perhaps try to interpret the style without using the shapes? As in, try to find a fringe or drop waist dress that actually fits a curvy body and wear a feathered headband with it? I think as long as you get the overall feel right (focusing on accessories can help with this), it won't matter much that you're not actually wearing a "real" flapper dress. "Boyish figure" clothes do tend to look like horrible sacks on us hourglassy girls.
Reply 2
Heranje
I think you could definitely get away with a drop-waist dress, especially if it were sleeveless.

Otherwise, perhaps try to interpret the style without using the shapes? As in, try to find a fringe or drop waist dress that actually fits a curvy body and wear a feathered headband with it? I think as long as you get the overall feel right (focusing on accessories can help with this), it won't matter much that you're not actually wearing a "real" flapper dress. "Boyish figure" clothes do tend to look like horrible sacks on us hourglassy girls.

I like the feathered headband idea, thanks. :smile: Guess I could use a boa or something as well. I'm still looking for a dress - I haven't been able to find a nice drop-waist one yet. :frown: Has anyone else seen anything good?
Reply 3
I went to a 1920s party last week and posted this exact question a month ago, aha.
I ended up buying a dress from H&M.. it comes in a nude-peachy colour and the sort of lavender-blue one I got.. not a fringed flapper dress as I found they were awkward, but still tiered, and I wore it with a peacock feather headband from UO.
I know the twenties were very much for the boyish figure, which didn't really help me as my waist to hip ratio is a joke (seriously.. 34-29-38, lmao), but the dress kept the feel of the theme without me looking too terrible, I think.
If I can find a decent pic from the night I'll show you, but otherwise I think a drop waisted dress would also work well :smile:
Could you try belting in a flapper dress? I don't know if it would work but might look better on you?
There's a dress on boohoo that has an element of flappery but perfect for hourglass figure.. http://www.boohoo.com/FashionClothing/index.php?id=AZZ89646&code=AZZ89646-105-18&size=10&color=BLACK

although its been on there a long time so they only have it in 8,10,12
Reply 6
Here's mine, not sure if it's what you're looking for but, yeah..

Spoiler

Yay for MS Paint skills! No one needs to see my drunken face, lol.. but that's the H&M one in a small.
Reply 7
tropical-twist3
There's a dress on boohoo that has an element of flappery but perfect for hourglass figure.. http://www.boohoo.com/FashionClothing/index.php?id=AZZ89646&code=AZZ89646-105-18&size=10&color=BLACK

Such a pretty dress! I would buy it if I had monies :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks everybody for the replies, do keep them coming if you have any more brainwaves! :smile:

eeriikaa
I went to a 1920s party last week and posted this exact question a month ago, aha.
I ended up buying a dress from H&M.. it comes in a nude-peachy colour and the sort of lavender-blue one I got.. not a fringed flapper dress as I found they were awkward, but still tiered, and I wore it with a peacock feather headband from UO.
I know the twenties were very much for the boyish figure, which didn't really help me as my waist to hip ratio is a joke (seriously.. 34-29-38, lmao), but the dress kept the feel of the theme without me looking too terrible, I think.
If I can find a decent pic from the night I'll show you, but otherwise I think a drop waisted dress would also work well :smile:

Haha, glad it's not just me who has this problem! I will have a look in H&M and also Zara at the weekend - I always forget about them because they don't have UK websites. I don't think I'd look great in the dress you wore, but I do remember seeing imitation vintage dresses in H&M before, so clearly worth a look. Love your cigarette holder btw! :biggrin:

tropical-twist3

That dress is so pretty! I do wish it came in other colours - I have so many LBDs now that I shouldn't really buy any more if I can help it. If I can't find anything as good in a non-black colour on the high street, I probably will get that one though, it's a much better compromise than anything I've found so far, and cheaper as well. Thank you!
Reply 9
Any opinions on this? (Black again...I know...)

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/second-hand-clothes/383672

And to the people suggesting belting flapper dresses - trouble is, I think the point of a flapper dress is specifically to disguise your waist, so I don't think the look will work with a belt. If I'm going down that road, it's probably better just to wear a normal cocktail or prom dress and accessorise with feathered headdress and a cigarette holder like eeriikaa's, and a beaded or fringed clutch.
Reply 10
That's a great dress! Looks like it'd work great on a curvy bod too. :biggrin: I say go for it.
Reply 11
I made my own headress (i think that's the one in profile pic) easy to do if you have the materials. Dress wise i would go for something figure hunting but simple (just one colour) and then use 1920's accessories rather than the dress itself. Oh and maybe a fur shrug or bolero. Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 12
Just for the record, the cigarette holder wasn't mine, lol.. my friend used it when she went to a fancy dress party dressed as Cruella De Vil before, but they're easy to get off ebay or a fancy dress shop.

Don't forget about the 1920s makeup, too! Dark smokey eyes and cupid's bow lips :]

Latest