Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really stuck - I need an outfit for a twenties-themed party, and I've been looking online for ideas. In the 1920s everything seems to have been designed for a straight-up-and-down figure, with a boyish silhouette (no breasts or hips and no waist). Unfortunately I'm pretty much the exact opposite, as I have a (very) hourglass figure. I have no idea how to dress flapper-style without looking as if I'm wearing a tent (i.e. brick shape on legs!) :eek3: Does anyone have any ideas? I thought perhaps I might be able to get away with a drop-waisted dress - does anyone have any helpful suggestions? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I think you could definitely get away with a drop-waist dress, especially if it were sleeveless.

Otherwise, perhaps try to interpret the style without using the shapes? As in, try to find a fringe or drop waist dress that actually fits a curvy body and wear a feathered headband with it? I think as long as you get the overall feel right (focusing on accessories can help with this), it won't matter much that you're not actually wearing a "real" flapper dress. "Boyish figure" clothes do tend to look like horrible sacks on us hourglassy girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heranje)
    I think you could definitely get away with a drop-waist dress, especially if it were sleeveless.

Otherwise, perhaps try to interpret the style without using the shapes? As in, try to find a fringe or drop waist dress that actually fits a curvy body and wear a feathered headband with it? I think as long as you get the overall feel right (focusing on accessories can help with this), it won't matter much that you're not actually wearing a "real" flapper dress. "Boyish figure" clothes do tend to look like horrible sacks on us hourglassy girls.
    I like the feathered headband idea, thanks. Guess I could use a boa or something as well. I'm still looking for a dress - I haven't been able to find a nice drop-waist one yet. Has anyone else seen anything good?

ReputationRep:
    I went to a 1920s party last week and posted this exact question a month ago, aha.
    I ended up buying a dress from H&M.. it comes in a nude-peachy colour and the sort of lavender-blue one I got.. not a fringed flapper dress as I found they were awkward, but still tiered, and I wore it with a peacock feather headband from UO.
    I know the twenties were very much for the boyish figure, which didn't really help me as my waist to hip ratio is a joke (seriously.. 34-29-38, lmao), but the dress kept the feel of the theme without me looking too terrible, I think.
    If I can find a decent pic from the night I'll show you, but otherwise I think a drop waisted dress would also work well

ReputationRep:
    Could you try belting in a flapper dress? I don't know if it would work but might look better on you?

ReputationRep:
    There's a dress on boohoo that has an element of flappery but perfect for hourglass figure.. http://www.boohoo.com/FashionClothin...10&color=BLACK

although its been on there a long time so they only have it in 8,10,12

ReputationRep:
    Here's mine, not sure if it's what you're looking for but, yeah..

Spoiler:
    Show
    ]

Yay for MS Paint skills! No one needs to see my drunken face, lol.. but that's the H&M one in a small.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tropical-twist3)
    There's a dress on boohoo that has an element of flappery but perfect for hourglass figure.. http://www.boohoo.com/FashionClothin...10&color=BLACK

Such a pretty dress! I would buy it if I had monies

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everybody for the replies, do keep them coming if you have any more brainwaves!

(Original post by eeriikaa)
    I went to a 1920s party last week and posted this exact question a month ago, aha.
    I ended up buying a dress from H&M.. it comes in a nude-peachy colour and the sort of lavender-blue one I got.. not a fringed flapper dress as I found they were awkward, but still tiered, and I wore it with a peacock feather headband from UO.
    I know the twenties were very much for the boyish figure, which didn't really help me as my waist to hip ratio is a joke (seriously.. 34-29-38, lmao), but the dress kept the feel of the theme without me looking too terrible, I think.
    If I can find a decent pic from the night I'll show you, but otherwise I think a drop waisted dress would also work well
    Haha, glad it's not just me who has this problem! I will have a look in H&M and also Zara at the weekend - I always forget about them because they don't have UK websites. I don't think I'd look great in the dress you wore, but I do remember seeing imitation vintage dresses in H&M before, so clearly worth a look. Love your cigarette holder btw!

(Original post by tropical-twist3)

That dress is so pretty! I do wish it came in other colours - I have so many LBDs now that I shouldn't really buy any more if I can help it. If I can't find anything as good in a non-black colour on the high street, I probably will get that one though, it's a much better compromise than anything I've found so far, and cheaper as well. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Dress like a flapper but use a waist belt to define your waist? Flapper style but something that clings to your skin?

ReputationRep:
    Any opinions on this? (Black again...I know...)

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/second-hand-clothes/383672

And to the people suggesting belting flapper dresses - trouble is, I think the point of a flapper dress is specifically to disguise your waist, so I don't think the look will work with a belt. If I'm going down that road, it's probably better just to wear a normal cocktail or prom dress and accessorise with feathered headdress and a cigarette holder like eeriikaa's, and a beaded or fringed clutch.

ReputationRep:
    That's a great dress! Looks like it'd work great on a curvy bod too. I say go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I made my own headress (i think that's the one in profile pic) easy to do if you have the materials. Dress wise i would go for something figure hunting but simple (just one colour) and then use 1920's accessories rather than the dress itself. Oh and maybe a fur shrug or bolero. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Just for the record, the cigarette holder wasn't mine, lol.. my friend used it when she went to a fancy dress party dressed as Cruella De Vil before, but they're easy to get off ebay or a fancy dress shop.

Don't forget about the 1920s makeup, too! Dark smokey eyes and cupid's bow lips :]

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.