Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

feeling confident with a body thats not seen as 'perfect' watch

ReputationRep:
    we always hear that people should be confident and happy with what theyve got but how true do you think that is

because whenever i see someone post a pic of someone whos not seen as 'perfect' people **** the person and they seem to think they have no right to be happy how they are

do you think its wrong to be happy with a body thats not seen as 'perfect' IE a skinny girl who doesnt have curves, a girl thats overweight, a bloke that doesnt have a six pack ripped pecks and big arms, is it so wrong to be happy with what we have

i dont think it is, i think if a person is confident with how they look then it shouldnt matter if they have what is seen as the 'perfect' body, get sick of seeing 'i hate my body' topics

i told a 'friend' of mine i was planning a surprise for my bf, im planning on going to ann summers and getting a couple of outfits

http://www.annsummers.com/webapp/wcs...er+Cheerleader

and

http://www.annsummers.com/webapp/wcs...+Matron+Outfit

^^ those, when i showed my 'friend' she was like oooh no you shouldnt wear those, only girls who are happy with their bodies should wear things like that and i was like but i am happy with mine and my partner more than loves it then she was like well you shouldnt be because you're fat (shes hardly thin herself yet she seems to be confident with herself) this is what got me thinking about this topic

so i thought i would see what you guys thought

are you happy/confident with your body? does your partner like it?

ReputationRep:
    I have a perfect body and so wouldn't know.
    Sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    we always hear that people should be confident and happy with what theyve got but how true do you think that is

because whenever i see someone post a pic of someone whos not seen as 'perfect' people **** the person and they seem to think they have no right to be happy how they are

do you think its wrong to be happy with a body thats not seen as 'perfect' IE a skinny girl who doesnt have curves, a girl thats overweight, a bloke that doesnt have a six pack ripped pecks and big arms, is it so wrong to be happy with what we have

i dont think it is, i think if a person is confident with how they look then it shouldnt matter if they have what is seen as the 'perfect' body, get sick of seeing 'i hate my body' topics

i told a 'friend' of mine i was planning a surprise for my bf, im planning on going to ann summers and getting a couple of outfits

http://www.annsummers.com/webapp/wcs...er+Cheerleader

and

http://www.annsummers.com/webapp/wcs...+Matron+Outfit

^^ those, when i showed my 'friend' she was like oooh no you shouldnt wear those, only girls who are happy with their bodies should wear things like that and i was like but i am happy with mine and my partner more than loves it then she was like well you shouldnt be because you're fat (shes hardly thin herself yet she seems to be confident with herself) this is what got me thinking about this topic

so i thought i would see what you guys thought

are you happy/confident with your body? does your partner like it?
    Yes. I don't have one. Next question please.

ReputationRep:
    if you're not perfect and you're completely happy then great, the feeling of contentment with your looks is a pretty valuable thing to have. The worst people are the ones who aren't that good looking but brag about their looks, but then again at least they're happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    I have a perfect body and so wouldn't know.
    Sorry
    Mmmhm, prove it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starless Eyes)
    Mmmhm, prove it.
    Pm'd

ReputationRep:
    I've seen your photos and you really are fat. I'm not happy with my body, and I don't care what my partner or anyone else thinks of it. It's mine, and if I'm unhappy with it then whatever anyone else thinks won't make me any happier or even more unhappy about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Pm'd
    I need proof too... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starless Eyes)
    Mmmhm, prove it.
    You need to clean your mirror!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    I've seen your photos and you really are fat. I'm not happy with my body, and I don't care what my partner or anyone else thinks of it. It's mine, and if I'm unhappy with it then whatever anyone else thinks won't make me any happier or even more unhappy about it.

thats stating the obvious tbh, but like saying the sun is yellow :rolleyes:

yeah i get what you mean with that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    thats stating the obvious tbh, but like saying the sun is yellow http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...s/rolleyes.gif
    The sun is not yellow, it's chicken.

ReputationRep:
    Your friend sounds a bit nasty.

I mean, I've no idea what you look like, but I wouldn't ever say that to my friend..

Well, unless I absolutely had to tell her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhokes)
    You need to clean your mirror!
    I know

ReputationRep:
    Since I gained a little self respect I've considered the idea of a universally perfect body completely nonsensical. It is absolutely subjective and you will never get anybody to agree on what is a perfect body. Whether you are rail thin or morbidly obese, soft and curvy, or toned, or ripped, there will be people declaring your body to be perfect and asserting with all the authority in the world that anything other than that is inferior. I don't consider my body to be perfect but I know that my fiancé does, genuinely. But his is the only opinion I care about. I get compliments and derogatory comments in equal measures about the way I look and I really don't care. I think to set too much store by what anybody else says would be giving them rather a lot of credit in the way of authority to comment.

ReputationRep:
    OP those outfits are soooo nice! :love:
    I want them

Be happy with your body, it's completely yours! if you're not, change it :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennybean)
    Since I gained a little self respect I've considered the idea of a universally perfect body completely nonsensical. It is absolutely subjective and you will never get anybody to agree on what is a perfect body. Whether you are rail thin or morbidly obese, soft and curvy, or toned, or ripped, there will be people declaring your body to be perfect and asserting with all the authority in the world that anything other than that is inferior.
    Wicked post The bold bit especially!

ReputationRep:
    Just be yourself!

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as one form of perfection. No judgement of perfection is a perfect one so ultimately it's judgement of perfection in a frame of imperfection.

Irrelevant to me though, I'm perfection all the way through in every single way and form...it can't be disputed :awesome:

Babay :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BunnyS:))
    Wicked post The bold bit especially!
    It's true, though, especially on TSR. There's nothing more entertaining than some poor, pathetic girl with zero self esteem posting a load of pictures in a thread entitled "Am I too fat/thin/flat-chested/pear-shaped? Plz halp me I are so unhappy with my body" and watching a f***tonne of ugly, spotty, Vitamin D deficient internet nerds pounce and start bellowing how "that is just not attractive, sorry, if you lost weight off your belly/toned your thighs/had bigger boobs/had curvier hips/a different-shaped ass/looked more like such and such a celebrity I would consider doing you, maybe" when you know that if you take away the safety of their computer screens, they have probably never even touched a human girl. The girls aren't as vicious in my experience, but you still get a similar mix of "I think too many muscles are unattractive, you're too bulky for me" and "you're too weedy" comments which is probably just as confusing to the average insecure teenage male. The moral of this story is that happiness with your body has to come from within yourself, or at most from one person whom you really love and trust, and not from the world at large.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    I need proof too... :rolleyes:
    Earn it then.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.