Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesXP)
    Anymore on how I could improve the 'general blandness'
    Well these are just ideas but take the football ones to start, I'd make the focal point much more on the key footballers and I wouldn't even include the other footballers in the photo. So for example, IMG_0303 - zoom in and just take the picture of the 2 with the ball, it would even look symmetrical. It's also good to sometimes to get their facial expressions because it adds character.

The christening I thought was cute, especially the second photo because Harry looks somewhat happy, it would of added a lot of joy to the photo if he smiled in them.

Don't know if that helps, for all we know, what I call bland might be really good for everyone else (at least to the other posters in this thread).

ReputationRep:
    I was maxed out at my zoom there, 135MM isn't alot for sport photography, I could probably crop but they are all pretty blurry/OOF

ReputationRep:
    I find some of these really nostalgic

ReputationRep:

Enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matrix15)
    I think the photo with the pink sky and muddy track is fantastic, how did you only keep colour on one part of the picture?
    I don't think the sky is pink, my monitor doesn't say that anyway, who know who's monitor is perfectly calibrated..

I didn't complete remove all of the color, It was a really dark sepia kind of things I was looking for, and I added the vignette in photoshop (vignette is the darkness around the corners)

ReputationRep:
    The pound coin one is cool, nice work man

ReputationRep:
    I like your work, and the colours that are striking. Especially the ones up above ^^^^

And most of the close ups such as the coin.

I really loved the green park one, with the brick red bridge rails... That was beautiful.

Here are my thoughts though, although I'm not in any way a master of photography myself, most of the "good" pictures (such as the beach/docks) are good because of the scenery, and the subjects themselves as opposed to your skill? Not saying that you don't have skill, it's just hard to distinguish it from a scene that was already perfectly laid out.

Does that make sense?

But it's good. Keep it up

ReputationRep:
    I should probably think about spending more time composing and thinking about the pictures I take, I'm a little click happy I just like to snap everything, like 90% of my photographs are just trash, cause I don't put much thought into most of them I suppose that's my own fault.

Some of it is probably due to getting lucky with the scenery like right now it's all dull and for me to go out and take some nice pictures would be a challenge as I don't find it very interesting or please in a photograph to have overcast skies and rainy everything else.

Thanks alot for your input!

ReputationRep:
    I adore the pound coin one.. So simplistic but still amazing to look at The spider one btw? HOUSE SPIDER? My god. I'm scared of my own home now!

ReputationRep:
    I like the pound coin one and also and many of the scenic photographs. Very good, I can't comment on technicalities - very good nevertheless.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, it was quite a large one, I say i'm not afraid of them but upclose they aren't exactly beatiful :O

more!

^Really old stuff

^Benidorm

ReputationRep:
    Went out earlier, took this, unfortunately I don't have lens hood for this lens and there is a little flare..

ReputationRep:
    Second one down under 'Random Pieces', the one below 'These are some pieces I used in My GCSE Art/Photography, which I got a B in..' and the one above 'Longish exposure' are the best

ReputationRep:
    omg so many photos to critique! :p:

right, I'm no expert but this is my opinion:
    The photographs from the christening, they are nice shots of the little boy but there seems to be quite a lot of grain - did you have quite a high ISO setting for it? It may just be my computer? Or if you were experimenting that's a good idea, because sometimes grain gives great effects, but I personally don't think that it is appropriate in this setting.
    I really like the composition and colours of the first photograph from Sharm-el-Sheikh, and the tilted horizon in the second is interesting but I think for it to be effective it needs to be more tilted and have less sky, because the mass of blue leaves it quite unbalanced.
    The football ones - as others have said they should probably be more focused: a good idea is to pick a spot where you think you'll be able to capture a lot of the action and try to focus on the right area before it's time to take the picture. Or getting a faster lens would help too
    I like the photograph of the snow on the fence/gate/whatever (I :love: macro!) but I kinda wish that you'd have focused on just one whole post (the second post would have worked well I feel) rather than between two which you seem to have done.
    The photograph after this one is very nice and sharp but for me the cars kind of ruin it... It may be worth returning at different times to ensure you get the right light and the perfect shot.
    I'm not trying to be rude but the next few are slightly bland and generic... you're 16! You should be experimenting with everything around you!
    That said, the black and white/sepia photograph is quite eye-catching and it shows great use of vignetting - good work!
    I agree that the photograph of the coin is one of the strongest here - such a simple macro (and again, macro=:love:) and really good depth of field. You definitely deserved that win!
    Again, the photographs after this just seem a little dull...
    But I love the one that you said you took earlier. As you said, it would be slightly better without the flare, but the colours, focus and composition are all really good :yep:

Anyway, sorry that was so long, I hope it's helpful, and just keep experimenting! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicealice)
    omg so many photos to critique! :p:

right, I'm no expert but this is my opinion:

/snip

Anyway, sorry that was so long, I hope it's helpful, and just keep experimenting! :cool:

Long is good.

Regarding the christening photographs, yes ISO1600 all at f1.8 pretty much, just so I can get a sharp photograph without blurryness, or resorting to onboard flash.

The street, unfortunately was in wales and I doubt i'll be going back there anytime soon.

And yes macro is something I enjoy, but unfortunately neither of my lens' do very well in macro

/saves up for canon 100mm f2.8

I think that is the only lens I want right now, or sigma/tamron equivalents

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know about which Canon lenses are good, I'm a Nikon girl :p:
    Fair enough about the christening - you've gotta do what you've gotta do; it's just disappointing that the lighting wasn't good enough in the church.
    And it's sad that you can't go back! But next time you're travelling just take us many photographs as possible of something that interests you - even though, at the time, you may think that you get the perfect shot straight away, I find that when I look back I often find annoying imperfections which wouldn't have been there if I'd have taken the photograph a minute later, or if I'd moved a couple of steps to the left etc.

:gthumb: +rep
    thanks very much glad I can be of any use at this ridiculous hour! :p:

ReputationRep:
    ahh, it's not that ridiculous really,

that lens is a true 1:1 macro, costs like 4-500 quid though..

heres a sample

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3075/...279847cd_o.jpg

ReputationRep:
    They all good

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.