Turn on thread page Beta

when is too much self harm, too much for a doctor... watch

ReputationRep:
    --deleted--

NO, hospital/emergancy mental health team maybe. not the police though.

ReputationRep:
    Nope; he won't tell anyone because he's not allowed due to the hypocratic oath. i'd guess he'll advise ''Bill'' and that...''Bill'' should listen and try to get help.

If they feel your life is in immediate danger they would section you, if you did not comply the police would be called and you forcefully sectioned.

It happened to my mum, so I know thats what happens.

(Original post by Siobherz)
    Nope; he won't tell anyone because he's not allowed due to the hypocratic oath. i'd guess he'll advise ''Bill'' and that...''Bill'' should listen and try to get help.
    Erm no, doctors can section you if needed.

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to popular opinion, the hippocratic oath has nothing to do with hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    But you're not going to be sectioned for self harming.

if the cuts are recent your doctor may talk to you about getting you some help. I'd suggest you actually brought this up yourself and asked for some help.

(Original post by lekky)

if the cuts are recent your doctor may talk to you about getting you some help. I'd suggest you actually brought this up yourself and asked for some help.
    Depends, if your ******* about with arteries and **** it could be considered.

But depends how bad, if it was that bad you would be in A&E.

nah you, sorry I mean bill, will be fine, you shouldn't be put off getting help just because you think they'll over react.

I was having a pretty tough time before xmas, needed stitches several times but they just patched me up and sent me on my way.

Just get help mate.

ReputationRep:
    You are spouting ****. The doctor has to weigh up the two (in this case opposing) medical ethical issues of the patients right to confidentiality (and to an extent autonomy) and the patients well being. If he believes the well being is seriously at risk, then he can tell who the **** he wants, assuming he can back up his decision infront of potentially an ethics comittee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)

Wrong. Could quite eaisly be sectioned, if the doctor thought he was at genuine risk to himself and others. Or saw the self harm as evidence of a severe psychiatric complaint needing medication/treatment as matter of urgency.

ReputationRep:
    For Bill:
    http://www.supportline.org.uk/problems/self_injury.php
    http://www.thesite.org/healthandwell...ealth/selfharm

ReputationRep:
    You can be sectioned if you're deemed a risk to yourself or others. Yes it is pretty difficult to section someone self harming but I doubt it's impossible if the doctor or crisis team believe there is a high enough risk

The police can be called if you're acting violently/threateningly towards another person whereby you'd be considered dangerous to any healthcare professionals.

Odds are however that "bill" wouldn't be sectioned for bringing this up with his gp. There are many routes to go down, depending on bills age, but there is lots of support out there. And as hard as it seems it is possible to come out the other side and live a normal life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    Wrong. Could quite eaisly be sectioned, if the doctor thought he was at genuine risk to himself and others. Or saw the self harm as evidence of a severe psychiatric complaint needing medication/treatment as matter of urgency.
    Yes but a genuine risk to themselves or others is going to be indicative of other problems, no? Not self harming, which true might be a symptom of said problems but by itself.. Self harming does not equal sectioning... self harming isn't even a good enough reason to break confidentiality unless you believe that they're in serious physical harm (ie, going to bleed to death) or that they have suicidal intentions (which again is different from suicidal idealations)... or at least so I was told in my training!
    Most people wanting to get help for self harming are going to be referred to adult services. Not sectioned.

ReputationRep:
    If they feel your life is in immediate danger they would section you, if you did not comply the police would be called and you forcefully sectioned.

It happened to my mum, so I know thats what happens.
    whats sectioning?

this is nothing similar to prison is it?

(Original post by anon4042)
    whats sectioning?

No, its when your forced into hospital so that you can be treated because they believe its in your best interests under the mental health act.

Sectioning does not have to be forced, if you agree then you can walk in, get treated and leave like a normal hospital visit pretty much, but they decide when you can leave.

If you don't, then the police are called and thats when it can get messy if you don't listen, because your going into hospital if you like it or not if they believe its the best for you, but you have to be seriously in danger of killing yourself or harming others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon4042)
    whats sectioning?

It's whereby you can be taken to be assessed if it is genuinely believed that you are a threat to yourself (suicidal) or to others.

Seriously OP, just go to the docters. You will not be the first case of harm that they have dealt with. Its probably a daily occurance.

Oh and chill, the fact you have come on here and had a discussion shows your 90% not in the state of mind to be sectioned even if your cuts are retardly deep etc.

ReputationRep:
    you need two doctors to otherise a section and one needs to be a phychiatrist.

in the OPs situation the doctor may (be may not) mention it to the patient and advice extra mental health supprt.

it takes at awful lot more than slitting your wrists to be sectioned, believe me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.