Turn on thread page Beta

need tips for very cheap food budget watch

ReputationRep:
    Just don't eat or drink (booze). I find this a fantastic way to save money. I can tell I have been to busy to eat well cause I have money in the bank!

NB- not long term sustainable.

Saving money, buy the cheapest where quality make little/no difference / all time depending on what you can tolerate or need to save (not always value, not always non organic LOOK dont assume for example value frosties are more than standard tesco frosties)
    Make stuff from scratch is generally cheaper or healthier or both.

ReputationRep:
    Student Grub Cookbook

My Aunty bought me this when I first moved out of home about 8 years ago, when I admitted i'd been living on weetabix and toast for 8 weeks. Thoroughly recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    go to your markets towards the end of the trading day i.e. 1530 onwards the butchers in particular will want to be rid of whatever they have still got out on display... have got some storming bargains doing that , ditto with some farm shops they are just so much cheaper / better than the supermarkets

ReputationRep:
    Buy in bulk legumes, pasta, tinned tomatoes

Go to markets for lots of vegetables and fruit , MUCH cheaper than supermarkets, groceries are cheaper to

Buy from bakeries or in store bakeries in supermarket french bread, cookies, doughnuts, often very cheap.

Cereal and staples such as supermarkets own milk/soya milk/yogurt if you have it

(Original post by hothedgehog)
    Have you seen the price of tinned tuna recently? It's incredibly high which is a pity as tuna is one of only 3 fishes i like eating! Anyhoo... i agree with all others you've said.
    You need to go wholesale with tuna. I got 10 tins of Princes tuna at Costco a few weeks back for £3!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    You need to go wholesale with tuna. I got 10 tins of Princes tuna at Costco a few weeks back for £3!
    Yeah, good plan.. i usually just wait til it's on offer and then stock up though!

ReputationRep:
    Cooking in batches is always cheaper than cooking meals individually for one.

Make a big shepherds pie for 4-6 people and then freeze the other portions....you have then got 6 meals for not very much money. Same with stews, bolognaise etc.

If you like your meat, try to cook with the cheaper cuts. Eg, chicken wings and drumsticks are much cheaper than breast, braising steak can make a big batch of meal and is much cheaper than any other cut of beef etc.

Although some people ahve said always buy the cheaper brands/supermarket basics unless the more expensive brands are on offer.....I don't always agree with this. Some things just are worht the extra pence. For example I never use anything other than fairy liquid for washing up....it seems to last me a few months....when i bought an economy one for half the price I had used it within a few weeks so altough it was half the price, I would have needed about 3 times as much..therefore more expensive. Ofocure not all things are like this, but some are so be careful.

Plan, plan, plan!! I always make a meal plan for the meal so if I buy a big bag of potatoes, they all get used rather than getting thrown away etc. For example, this week, somked slamon was on offer, so today we are having somked salmon tagliettelle anf tomorrow, smoked salmon with eggs....if I didn't plan like that, the other "free" half would have gone to waste.

Also never go shopping on an empty stomach or you will impulse buy!

PP

ReputationRep:
    a question to people who spend 15 quid or less a week on food...
    do you eat generally healthily, or do you tend to fill up on cheap things (pasta, rice etc)? do you have a lot of fruit and veg (fresh)?
    when i was at uni i used to spend probably 40 quid a week and even then i had the basics already (spices, herbs, few tins, pasta etc) and even then i struggled. im vegetarian so i obviously wasnt buying expensive meat and i try not to eat anything full of fat or calories because i constantly seem to be on a diet lol
    so what kind of meals do you eat during the week? i pop into the supermarket for a couple of bits and it costs more than £10!

ReputationRep:
    eat with the special offers and out of date reductions
    the fruit/veg i eat is usually what's on offer at lidl and cheap at the market, and i eat a lot of fruit & veg!
    i used to spend under #10 a week on food, but now i spend a few quid more on whatever meat is on offer at sainsburys(legs & wings are dirt cheap).
    invest in dried lentils, chick peas, beans etc. takes a while to cook but is like 1/4 the price of buying the same thing in a can. east end brand spices are in packets and much cheaper than jars.

asda and waitrose reduce their fresh breads to literally 10p at the end of the day! i usually make my own bread rolls and pitas though, because i enjoy it, it's only slightly cheaper than super basic supermarket equivalents when you're not paying for 'leccy

There is nothing wrong with frozen vegetables and as they are cheap they are good to have in the freezer. I get bags of frozen spinach which can last all term, to put in pasta sauces and curries. Much better value than a bag of fresh spinach!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.