Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    AS the title suggests, Im thinking I may want to do an MA in London, but part-time rather than full-time as I thought it may help with the cost (enables me to work more hours,etc).
    But its accommodation Im worried about. How would part-time students go about this, considering one can expect to get no offer to live in university managed accommodation.
    Are there any helpful websites, or ways of searching that may prove useful? Has anyone been in this position who can offer advice?. I already have some money saved and intend to keep saving as much as possible.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acelib82)
    AS the title suggests, Im thinking I may want to do an MA in London, but part-time rather than full-time as I thought it may help with the cost (enables me to work more hours,etc).
    But its accommodation Im worried about. How would part-time students go about this, considering one can expect to get no offer to live in university managed accommodation.
    Are there any helpful websites, or ways of searching that may prove useful? Has anyone been in this position who can offer advice?. I already have some money saved and intend to keep saving as much as possible.
    Thanks
    Can easily get accomodation within 2 weeks in any zone 2 area for about £400-500. It's all about impressing the people there and finding people you want to live with.

www.gumtree.com is the site you're looking for. I've done it twice now and it really is quite simple but frustrating at the same time. You arrange 2-3 viewings per week, check for new ads every day and hope you get lucky.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Unite accommodation and Goodenough College might be both worth a look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponjavic)
    Can easily get accomodation within 2 weeks in any zone 2 area for about £400-500. It's all about impressing the people there and finding people you want to live with.

www.gumtree.com is the site you're looking for. I've done it twice now and it really is quite simple but frustrating at the same time. You arrange 2-3 viewings per week, check for new ads every day and hope you get lucky.

Ok, thanks very much for your help. Ive had a quick look at this site and it does seem a very good starting point, but I did wonder one thing. Can anyone just advertise a vacancy on here, or must they go through some kind of checking first?. Im just thnking about safety issues and so forth, but it definately seems worth a go.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

You can also have a look at the University of London Hosuing Finder:

http://housing.london.ac.uk/cms/

You can regsiter with your studnet number when you ahve received an offer from any univeristy connected to UoL. It might have a bit more security than gumtree, as there are quite a lot of scams from my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks very much for your help. Ive had a quick look at this site and it does seem a very good starting point, but I did wonder one thing. Can anyone just advertise a vacancy on here, or must they go through some kind of checking first?. Im just thnking about safety issues and so forth, but it definitely seems worth a go.
    Anyone can just have a go. The thing is though you're visiting someones flat in central london so I find it kind of hard for them to do anything criminal especially since the ad is on the site.

I've gone to maybe 10 viewings and had 10 people view my flat through gumtree and no problems so far, nor from my friends who've done the same. I wouldn't worry, it's a good site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    Unite accommodation and Goodenough College might be both worth a look
    Unite is a good choice but bear in mind to calculate the total cost (e.g. there's admin charge for splitting the rental into monthly payments and credit card surcharge). If you sign up, you are also committing yourself for a 51 week tenancy. There are other short-term flatshare on offer in London so perhaps you can looking into that.

Also, Goodenough College caters for full-time students only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoMeR)
    Hi

You can also have a look at the University of London Hosuing Finder:

http://housing.london.ac.uk/cms/

You can regsiter with your studnet number when you ahve received an offer from any univeristy connected to UoL. It might have a bit more security than gumtree, as there are quite a lot of scams from my experience.
    Do they cater for part-time students? I was under the impression this was only an option for full-time students. And what sort of scams do you mean, have you encountered scams from this gumtree website regarding accommodation?.

ReputationRep:
    Do they cater for part-time students? I was under the impression this was only an option for full-time students. And what sort of scams do you mean, have you encountered scams from this gumtree website regarding accommodation?.
    Only one I've seen is where they ask you for a deposit before you view the flat. But anyone silly enough to fall for that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think if you rent a hosue there with a registered Landlord, it doesn't really matter whether you are part-time or full-time. It would then obviously be private accomodation.

Yeah exactly the deposits that ponjavic mentioned. There are apparently a lot of people who have fallen in and i have heard that they often put wrong pictures on the web, so viewing is definately essential, which migth be problematic for overseas students.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.