Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Fellow Students,

In the autumn i will begin my legal studies, but first I will attend a clerkship at Bird & Bird. I've been thinking about making a business card in case i make any contacts. Anyone have any views on that?

If yes, what should I put as my title? would "aspiring lawyer" suffice?

regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmarcher)
    Fellow Students,

In the autumn i will begin my legal studies, but first I will attend a clerkship at Bird & Bird. I've been thinking about making a business card in case i make any contacts. Anyone have any views on that?

If yes, what should I put as my title? would "aspiring lawyer" suffice?

regards,

Mike
    The short answer is "no" and the longer, more detailed answer, is "noooooooo".

Don't do it. You'll embarass yourself. These short vacation schemes are not hotbeds of opportunity to make lifelong contacts with influential members of the legal profession. You'll go along, meet some nice people, do a bit of work, gain a small insight into the work of a law firm, possibly impress a couple of people with your intelligence and work ethic, then finish up. No more.

ReputationRep:
    Please, please, please don't do it. I feel embarrassed just at the thought of a Vac Schemer thinking about making up business cards. In all likelihood your supervisors will give you their business cards at the end of their time with you, if only to be polite, so you will have a means of contacting them if you feel you need to for whatever reason. If they have a burning desire to contact you they have your contact details on file.

ReputationRep:
    I cringed at the thought of it.

ReputationRep:
    alright thanks for the heads up. No need to be condescending.

ReputationRep:
    Actually it is okay if you have a position in a biggish university society, say President of whatever, then it is fine. Quite a few people I know do it. But "aspiring lawyer" is honestly not appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    Actually it is okay if you have a position in a biggish university society, say President of whatever, then it is fine. Quite a few people I know do it. But "aspiring lawyer" is honestly not appropriate.
    hehe, I'm guessing you have a position in a university society and you're trying to justify the fact that you've had some business cards made for yourself

(Even if the above is good advice generally, I'd arguably even less want to be handing out business cards saying "president of the Ruislip University Tiddlywinks Society" on a vac scheme).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    hehe, I'm guessing you have a position in a university society and you're trying to justify the fact that you've had some business cards made for yourself

(Even if the above is good advice generally, I'd arguably even less want to be handing out business cards saying "president of the Ruislip University Tiddlywinks Society" on a vac scheme).
    Yes and no. :p: It is genuinely useful when you network with people. I would only do it if it were a law society (say Treasurer, Trinity College Law Society) or careers society (say President, Oxford University Investment Banking Society). Things like Honorary Drinker of University Rugby Club would be the opposite of impressive...

ReputationRep:
    It is not ever appropriate to have a 'business card' unless you are running a business. You will not make a good impression if you pass such a thing onunless its for for legitimate business ventures. If you want a card with your name and address on it to pass on (if you are ASKED outright for details then that is probably more convienient than writing it), that is a little odd but wont do you too much harm, but don't ever add a title. And it should be blank and good quality. ie It should not be out of a machine in the local shopping centre, nor for the girls, should it have a picture of tinkerbell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    nor for the girls, should it have a picture of tinkerbell!
    I'm glad that boys are allowed a tinkerbell picture

ReputationRep:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Well OBVIOUSLY its ok for a guy! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    Well OBVIOUSLY its ok for a guy! :yep:

Tinkerbell

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to make some business cards, this video should be helpful (pop-up picture of your face optional): http://www.wimp.com/bestcard/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    If you are going to make some business cards, this video should be helpful (pop-up picture of your face optional): http://www.wimp.com/bestcard/
    "This is the most impressive business card I've ever seen. It's mine. It took me 25 years to design this."

:rofl:

Already given rep out today - will make sure to + tomorrow though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    That was amazing, thank you. Doesn't even tell them what he does, just the results he produces.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.