Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty useless with computers and am not sure how to get music on my laptop. My friend mentioned a programme which converts You Tube songs into songs which can be played on Windows Media Player. Has anyone heard of this? Should I used CDs and copy them on? I'm confused. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Use CDs if you've got them. Put them in the drive and "rip" them to your media player library.

Don't get songs off youtube, despite what anyone claims, the quality is nowhere near as good as CDs.

You can also buy individual songs off numerous websites, or get loads of stuff illegally. I can't believe someone my age is asking this question! :eek: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheshire_Tom)
    Use CDs if you've got them. Put them in the drive and "rip" them to your media player library.

Don't get songs off youtube, despite what anyone claims, the quality is nowhere near as good as CDs.

You can also buy individual songs off numerous websites, or get loads of stuff illegally. I can't believe someone my age is asking this question! :eek: :p:
    I'm not your age, older. I need to get with the times, clearly.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Get spotify!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolimemma)
    Get spotify!
    This is where I get confused. :mad: Is it free?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild_Precious_Life)
    This is where I get confused. :mad: Is it free?
    Spotify is free but it's invitation only so you need to find someone with a premium account to invite you. Problem is that 99% of people have free accounts so can't invite.

Use 'Torrent' websites if you say want to get all songs by a certain artist or...
    That is a youtube to mp3 converter

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products...-Converter.htm

Just click the green download button at the top and follow the instructions. It's very easy to use and easier if you want just singles by certain artists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Spotify is free but it's invitation only so you need to find someone with a premium account to invite you. Problem is that 99% of people have free accounts so can't invite.

Use 'Torrent' websites if you say want to get all songs by a certain artist or...
    That is a youtube to mp3 converter

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products...-Converter.htm

Just click the green download button at the top and follow the instructions. It's very easy to use and easier if you want just singles by certain artists.

Bless you, that's so helpful! Thanks. Would you say it is better to download songs from spotify or the convertor you posted?

ReputationRep:
    You can't download music from spotify you just stream it but unless you find someone with a premium account you can't use it anyway.

If you want individual songs then use the converter i posted.
    If you want entire bands/albums then rip the CDs or download them from a torrent site.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Spotify is real-time, like listening to the radio almost, so it doesn't download to your computer. As others have said it's currently invitation only, however you can sign up for premium membership for one month (which is £10), then cancel it and you'll get automatically downgraded to a free account, so you can keep using it.

Amazon have a pretty good online music store, prices going between 50-90p per track. iTunes is the canonical music store, though music you buy off there has restrictions on its use, making it less useful than Amazon, at least in my opinion.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :fyi: Torrents are illegal.

Download music from Youtube gives pretty naff sound quality in most circumstances.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    :fyi: Torrents are illegal.

Download music from Youtube gives pretty naff sound quality in most circumstances.
    It's also equally as illegal as downloading torrents. People seem to forget that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    It's also equally as illegal as downloading torrents. People seem to forget that.
    It's illegal? :eek:

I've already downloaded ten songs so far, what are the consequences of that do you think?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Wild_Precious_Life)
    It's illegal? :eek:

I've already downloaded ten songs so far, what are the consequences of that do you think?
    Minimum punishment is hanging, I think. :p:

Ever recorded a song off the radio? Illegal. Ever leant a CD/DVD/video to a friend? Illegal. Ever breathed on a DVD box without buying it? That's illegal too. :rolleyes: Big music companies will do pretty much anything these days if it means they can make more money, it's never about actually enjoying music any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Minimum punishment is hanging, I think. :p:

Ever recorded a song off the radio? Illegal. Ever leant a CD/DVD/video to a friend? Illegal. Ever breathed on a DVD box without buying it? That's illegal too. :rolleyes: Big music companies will do pretty much anything these days if it means they can make more money, it's never about actually enjoying music any more.
    Don't scare me!

Do you think I should actually stop doing it or are these just mere threats?

It's gone up to 15 downloaded songs now! :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.