Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Of course i did. What, you think i played with a train set and played tag with my friends in the playground until i turned 16, put on my big boy suit and picked up a copy of the financial times?

And every abusive situation is founded upon the same basic principles. If no two abusive situations were the same, then psychiatrists and councillors would not be qualified to help any victim of an abusive relationship.

i didnt say no two were the same, i said not every situation is the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Self righteous tut tut :mfing:
    Sarcasm comprehension fail :mfing:

For the record, im not self righteous. I don't think that i am better than anyone else commenting on this thread. Just because i believe that i am right, does not mean that i believe that i am therefore better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    i didnt say no two were the same, i said not every situation is the same
    Oooh are we playing that game where we repeat everything that we say? Well then, i said that all abusive relationships are founded on the same principles, thus qualifying councillors and psychiatrists to be able to help those in abusive relationships.

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was. The word "neither" is separating Truth from Right and Wrong.
    Yes, hence creating two statements - that truth isn't relative, and that right and wrong also isn't. My question was where does the first statement belong in a debate about morality.

Welcome to the world of ethical debate.
    As someone who tends to have some experience of ethical debates, if you started assuming your own morals were right and should apply to all you've pretty much lost the point. Ethical debate is about why something is moral or not, not simply stating your morals, assuming they're right and arguing conclusions from there. If you learned to argue, you're patronising might be a little more appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was. The word "neither" is separating Truth from Right and Wrong.

Welcome to the world of ethical debate.
    You crossed the line beyond ethical debate when you told the OP she was a bad person for having an abortion. That's just self righteous cruelty. Just because you think abortion is wrong that doesn't mean you can say stuff like that to people as if you're the moral authority. Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh are we playing that game where we repeat everything that we say? Well then, i said that all abusive relationships are founded on the same principles, thus qualifying councillors and psychiatrists to be able to help those in abusive relationships.

and we all know that counselling works in all situations............ oh wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Yes, hence creating two statements - that truth isn't relative, and that right and wrong also isn't. My question was where does the first statement belong in a debate about morality.

As someone who tends to have some experience of ethical debates, if you started assuming your own morals were right and should apply to all you've pretty much lost the point. Ethical debate is about why something is moral or not, not simply stating your morals, assuming they're right and arguing conclusions from there. If you learned to argue, you're patronising might be a little more appropriate.
    It was slightly off topic, but still valid.

I never just stated my morals and battled with them. Plus its very hard to conduct an ethical debate without some starting point. You need some morality to begin from, you first question it and if you find that it holds, you support it and show why it is correct in the face of opposite views.

Also, if you learned to grammar, you're patronising might be a little more appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    You crossed the line beyond ethical debate when you told the OP she was a bad person for having an abortion. That's just self righteous cruelty. Just because you think abortion is wrong that doesn't mean you can say stuff like that to people as if you're the moral authority. Grow up.
    Oh please, you're like a dog with a bone. Calm down, i apologised.

ReputationRep:
    and we all know that counselling works in all situations............ oh wait!
    *sigh* never mind. I forgot that the only arguments you are able to construct are hypothetical.

ReputationRep:
    You certainly did not.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh* never mind. I forgot that the only arguments you are able to construct are hypothetical.

and i keep forgetting im actually trying to have a debate with a child who hasnt lived properly yet

ReputationRep:
    It was slightly off topic, but still valid.

I never just stated my morals and battled with them. Plus, its very hard to conduct an ethical debate without some starting point. You need some morality to begin fromwith,. yYou first question it and, if you find that it holds, you support it and show why it is correct in the face of opposite views.

Also, if you learned to grammar, you're patronising might be a little more appropriate.
    If you're going to attack someone's grammar, at least make an effort not to write like a primary school drop-out.

ReputationRep:
    I never just stated my morals and battled with them. Plus its very hard to conduct an ethical debate without some starting point. You need some morality to begin from, you first question it and if you find that it holds, you support it and show why it is correct in the face of opposite views.
    Actually, you did just state that it was wrong and argued from it. You only gave an argument for why it's wrong after pages of debate when talking about your personal life. You never argued why it was right in the face of opposing views, you just berated her for being wrong. Regardless of your point, your debating style has been appalling, not engaged or tried to refute other moralities (just the consequences - "there are other options" etc.) and avoided arguing the point. Enjoy uni, I have a feeling you'll learn a lot about debating and logical argument. I mean that literally and honestly as well as being patronising.

:rofl: Not only have you moved onto grammar comments, which really adds weight to your argument, you've done it in bad English. Well done! :yy:

Your argument here deserves patronising, to be frank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    If you're going to attack someone's grammar, at least make an effort not to write like a primary school drop-out.
    Learned to grammar was intentional.

Thanks Pink.

ReputationRep:
    and i keep forgetting im actually trying to have a debate with a child who hasnt lived properly yet
    Wait up, let me just take some photos of my ass. Maybe then we will be on equal footing.

ReputationRep:
    Mate I'm not being funny but you really didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Actually, you did just state that it was wrong and argued from it. You only gave an argument for why it's wrong after pages of debate when talking about your personal life. You never argued why it was right in the face of opposing views, you just berated her for being wrong.

Wow, onto grammar comments. Great. Really adds weight to your argument :yy:
    If you look you will see several counter arguments, counter assertions and analogies with which i argued why my opinion was right in the face of others.

ReputationRep:
    Learned to grammar was intentional.

Thanks Pink.
    And the other mistakes?

Grammar attacks are bad enough coming from someone who knows correct grammar, but when your own grammar is worse than the person's you're attacking, it's never going to end well for you.

Here's a tip: learn your weaknesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Mate I'm not being funny but you really didn't.
    Mate, i did.

ReputationRep:
    Wait up, let me just take some photos of my ass. Maybe then we will be on equal footing.
    come back and have an adult debate about adult things when you are actually an adult

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.