Had an abortion - boyfriend found out! Watch

This discussion is closed.
nolongerhearthemusic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
fair enough. I just think a guy does have a right to know. Reverse the roles a bit. If you were the guy, surely you would like to know?
Presumably I'd be using contraception and I'd be hoping for it work. No babies is the outcome I'd want. It doesn't make a lot of difference whether that's because none were conceived, or because none were carried to term. That wouldn't be my business. The only scenario where I'd have sympathy for the guy is if he were in a serious relationship and was upset that she was unable or unwilling to talk about it with him. But that's a relationship problem and unrelated to who has a right to know what. The OP was not in a relationship with this guy when she had her abortion.
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sophistress)
Where does his "right" to know come from? Why is that a given? If his ideas don't match her own thoughts as they relate to abortion then what good would have telling him done? She'd clearly already made her decision. Telling him would only have added extra problems for her. And based on what she's told us about him, telling him may well have jeopardised her safety.
Rubbish. In an equal relationship surely the partner should be consulted on her decision. If my g/f had done that I wouldn't be happy either (although I doubt I would have acted in the same way). Even if the final decision is that of the woman, abortion is a big decision and not one that should be entered into lightly, the fact that the OP did not consult her partner shows how little regard she had for him in the first place. If she feared for her safety in the first place why not tell him over the phone, or in public? Frankly the OP sounds like she's making excuses for a decision which was rash and inconsiderate. He may have overreacted, that does not excuse her behaviour.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
Presumably I'd be using contraception and I'd be hoping for it work. No babies is the outcome I'd want. It doesn't make a lot of difference whether that's because none were conceived, or because none were carried to term. That wouldn't be my business. The only scenario where I'd have sympathy for the guy is if he were in a serious relationship and was upset that she was unable or unwilling to talk about it with him. But that's a relationship problem and unrelated to who has a right to know what. The OP was not in a relationship with this guy when she had her abortion.
The OP doesn't say if she did use any protection or not though. So I am assuming they did not.

And I don't see why it matters if its a serious relationship or not. And from what the OP has said, it seems like the guy thought it was serious (wanting to marry her etc).

I'm not saying he should have the final word, or even be allowed to try to convince the girl. But he should know IMO.
And tbh I'd imagine most guys would agree with me.
Sophistress
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not rubbish, it's the truth. She doesn't have to tell him. She doesn't have to tell anybody she doesn't want to other than the relevant medical staff. She doesn't need his consent to have an abortion. You might not like it, but that's another matter.
XFire36
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ash-corbett-collins)
His behaviour was understandable in the situation. To him, his child has been murdered. I suppose you would take that news calmly?
Actually, there is a likelihood that it would not have come to term (around 1 in 5 don't, if I remember correctly), so emotionally and biologically she terminated a group of cells which had the possibility to become a human, you shed more cells when you scratch your arm then you do a baby in the first few days.

In my opinion the OP did the correct thing, the boyfriend should not have reacted in such a way.
nolongerhearthemusic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The OP doesn't say if she did use any protection or not though. So I am assuming they did not.

And I don't see why it matters if its a serious relationship or not. And from what the OP has said, it seems like the guy thought it was serious (wanting to marry her etc).

I'm not saying he should have the final word, or even be allowed to try to convince the girl. But he should know IMO.
And tbh I'd imagine most guys would agree with me.
It wasn't a relationship at all at the time she had the abortion. He was nothing to do with her. He had no right to know anything about her life.

He sounds like an abusive psycho tbh. He asked her to marry him several times when it probably should have been obvious to him that she didn't want to. That's clingy and creepy. He thinks he's allowed to control her medical decisions, or at least verbally abuse her for them. He broke into her house and broke her property. Absolute psycho.
Sophistress
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Carl)
Rubbish. In an equal relationship surely the partner should be consulted on her decision.
What do you mean an "equal relationship" and how does that relate to this thread? As far as abortion is concerned then no, it absolutely isn't an "equal relationship", not legally. It's up to her and the relevant medical staff. Whether she wants to consult her exboyfriend is entirely up to her.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I give up.
All I can say is I am so glad my girlfriend agrees with me.
I personally would be furious if she did something like this to me.

One last point - Sophistress - you seem to be hung up about legality and stuff. I don't think anyone here is talking about the law. Yes, I know in the eyes of the law the female can do what the hell she wants and the guy has no rights what so ever.
Last edited by WelshBluebird; 8 years ago
adamrules247
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
See, this is why sex should only be inside of marriage.
username291885
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by XFire36)
Actually, there is a likelihood that it would not have come to term (around 1 in 5 don't, if I remember correctly), so emotionally and biologically she terminated a group of cells which had the possibility to become a human, you shed more cells when you scratch your arm then you do a baby in the first few days.

In my opinion the OP did the correct thing, the boyfriend should not have reacted in such a way.
Despite the lack of physicality and the odds of survival, emotionally it is still a child to the parent. Some people have different maternal/paternal instincts, and he may have been strongly paternal, meaning harming his children no matter their form, is an emotional issue for him.
Sophistress
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
One last point - Sophistress - you seem to be hung up about legality and stuff. I don't think anyone here is talking about the law. Yes, I know in the eyes of the law the female can do what the hell she wants and the guy has no rights what so ever.
I'm not "hung up on it", but Carl's "Rubbish" seemed pretty definitive. I was just reminding him that it isn't that cut and dry.

Whether she wants to consult her exboyfriend is entirely up to her.
i.e. it's a choice, not a given. He has a "right" to know/be consulted why? "Because it's his child too" is a non sequitur. As is "because it's an equal relationship" (in what way and how is that relevant?).

I am yet to understand where this "right" to know or be consulted comes from. It's not in the letter or spirit of the law.
Last edited by Sophistress; 8 years ago
tom//
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
op you make me sick. you cant see why he would be angry about that? hes not a ******* psychopath because of that. he sounds like a decent bloke before he found out. his reaction is completely understandable, and whether or not its your choice you provoked that reaction.
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by folde)
The OP sounds so smug with her "cool calm demeanour", "cold and heartless" etc, like she thinks this guy is a little pathetic for "being more attached to her than she to him".
She sounds like she has some kind of narcissism disorder and all I can say is, the guy is well rid of her.

BTW ladies, punching the walls is not being a "violent abusive thug" :mrssanta:
Indeed, thats a decent guy smacking stuff releasing frustration instead of knocking out the seflish *****. Because he's better than that.

She'd have deserved it if he did though.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i.e. it's a choice, not a given.
Whereas I disagree. I think the only moral thing to do is to let the person know.
nolongerhearthemusic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I give up.
All I can say is I am so glad my girlfriend agrees with me.
I personally would be furious if she did something like this to me.
That's a relationship issue and you two can sort that out however you like. If you've made the agreement that you would be told, then as long as you were still in the relationship at the time then you'd have every right to be upset that she broke the agreement. You also have every right to ask any girl you sleep with to make that agreement, if it's important to you. But that doesn't mean that men have any kind of right to know outside of that. Aside from issues of be able to share things within relationships, it literally cannot affect him.
XFire36
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ash-corbett-collins)
Despite the lack of physicality and the odds of survival, emotionally it is still a child to the parent. Some people have different maternal/paternal instincts, and he may have been strongly paternal, meaning harming his children no matter their form, is an emotional issue for him.
But it wasn't a child, it was a grouping of cells, titling it as such is inaccurate. Becoming angry over the issue, especially against a person whom had repeatedly expressed desires against long-term commitment is irrational and somewhat disturbing.
BrightGirl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Call the police, it's a bit disturbing he broke into your house. Don't see why everyone is getting mad - you were broken up and it's not like you had planned to have a baby together.
It was ultimately your decision, and if you didn't feel comfortable talking to him about it then why should you?
theBOON
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I totally understand his situation, poor fellow.

. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . .. .. .. . .. .I accept neg rep happily from all the heartless vile abhorrent creatures on TSR. I never give neg rep back so don't worry.
Last edited by theBOON; 8 years ago
Sophistress
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Whereas I disagree. I think the only moral thing to do is to let the person know.

Yes, I know, you said. He "deserves" to know because he has a "right" to and it's the "moral" thing to do. Why the above is naturally the case still eludes me.

It's certainly not the practical advice I would give a friend.
tinktinktinkerbell
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by adamrules247)
See, this is why sex should only be inside of marriage.
abortions would still happen then lol

OP your ex sounds crazy, you are well within your right not to tell him, it was your decision he has no say in it
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (723)
90.83%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (73)
9.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise