Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Not at all. If a woman does not want to get pregnant, she should not get pregnant. If she was so adamant that she would never have a kid, she should have been on the pill and he should have wore a condom to make sure. This is the appropriate action for a woman who does not want a kid, not abortion at the first sight of pregnancy.

If i got a woman pregnant, and my child was inside of her, i would be furious if she decided to toddle off to the abortion clinic one afternoon. That baby would be as much mine as it was hers, a living thing that shared part of my DNA. There is no way it should be her choice to kill it.

Don't start spouting all of this rubbish about how its the womans body and its her that has the 9 months of pain nonsense. If she didnt want it, she shouldnt have got pregnant. In my opinion, if a woman gets preganat, she has a moral duty to deliver the baby. She can then give it up to care if she does not want to look after it herself.
    Urgh, you do know no contraception is 100% effective?

And there is no 'moral duty', the miniscule amount of cells is barely living and does not constitute a human or a living thing. Every woman should and does have the right to abort, and you can't ignore the '9 months of pain nonsense' - why should she ruin her body/put her career on hold when she can just get rid of it early on. In fact, i'm all for extending the time limit, but that's another topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    No.

It's just never gone to trial and stayed the course. Planned Parenthood v. Casey stated invalid due to a 14th Amendment technicality (that we don't currently have here) Court injunctions have also been granted both her and the US temporarily.

Right to abortion itself seems to have been setup as a privacy as opposed to a non discrimination right. Additionally, legal action thus far has centred around the fetus having a legal status, which multiple rulings have confirmed it does not.
    14th Amendment? I think you've got the wrong country. I've never heard of abortions being refused in the UK because of the position of the father. If it's happened in the UK its effects must be entirely negligible (and at my age I've have plenty of friends and friends of friends who have had unwanted pregnancies). Too insignificant to bother mentioning.

(Original post by Aeolus)
    I think we live in an age where modern science recognises that a foetus is a seperate entity. By describing it thus you are merely trying to dehumanise it. A tactic which has been used numerous times before in history to atrocious effect.
    I don't need to dehumanise it, the fact that it's an insensate lump of cells at the time it's aborted does all the work for me. It may have human genetics, but so does my appendix, and no-one throws tantrums when they're removed.

This whole thing sounds ridiculous. Both you and your (ex) boyfriend sound too immature to be in a relationship. You keep leading him on, dumping him out of nowhere, yet he still comes back to you like a dumb puppy, as though you haven't broken his heart a million times. You both have issues. He needs to get some self respect, and you need to grow a heart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Indeed, thats a decent guy smacking stuff releasing frustration instead of knocking out the seflish *****. Because he's better than that.

She'd have deserved it if he did though.
    aognhus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Call the police, it's a bit disturbing he broke into your house. Don't see why everyone is getting mad - you were broken up and it's not like you had planned to have a baby together.
    It was ultimately your decision, and if you didn't feel comfortable talking to him about it then why should you?
    Ever heard of those kids that get adopted at birth, the dad never finds out they exist, then one day they do and meet? It means so much, to all involved.

To suggest it wouldn't affect him is disingenuous. If you were pregnant and broke up, and the guy kicked you in the nethers to destroy the baby, would you not be a bit upset?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Yes but far less of them, or are you too simple to see that?
    wheres your proof of this?

if a woman doesnt want a baby then being married is not going to change her mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Not at all. If a woman does not want to get pregnant, she should not get pregnant. If she was so adamant that she would never have a kid, she should have been on the pill and he should have wore a condom to make sure. This is the appropriate action for a woman who does not want a kid, not abortion at the first sight of pregnancy.

If i got a woman pregnant, and my child was inside of her, i would be furious if she decided to toddle off to the abortion clinic one afternoon. That baby would be as much mine as it was hers, a living thing that shared part of my DNA. There is no way it should be her choice to kill it.

Don't start spouting all of this rubbish about how its the womans body and its her that has the 9 months of pain nonsense. If she didnt want it, she shouldnt have got pregnant. In my opinion, if a woman gets preganat, she has a moral duty to deliver the baby. She can then give it up to care if she does not want to look after it herself.
    What about rape cases?

ReputationRep:
    If I was him, I think I would've killed you.

You're not read for maternal care you say?
    Why does that mean you can deny him a chance at paternal care then? I'm sure he would've happily taken the kid off your hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by folde)
    aognhus
    :eek: Stalker! Who art tho? Unless it's lottie or ray or merv I can just hide from you on my SP anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    I don't need to dehumanise it, the fact that it's an insensate lump of cells at the time it's aborted does all the work for me. It may have human genetics, but so does my appendix, and no-one throws tantrums when they're removed.

Yes, but your apendix does not have the potential to become a human life. Nor will it have a beating heart within the month.

I am not getting into a debate on the ethics of abortion. I just think the distinction needs to be made, calling the foetus a tumour or growth was left behind with the ignorant fanaticism of the 90's. I like to believe the pro choice lobby has risen above the immaturity of the religious right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Ever heard of those kids that get adopted at birth, the dad never finds out they exist, then one day they do and meet? It means so much, to all involved.

To suggest it wouldn't affect him is disingenuous. If you were pregnant and broke up, and the guy kicked you in the nethers to destroy the baby, would you not be a bit upset?
    No to the first bit, and the second situation isn't even comparable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sundance_kid)
    What about rape cases?
    wish i lived in his black and white world

ReputationRep:
    the miniscule amount of cells is barely living
    Biology fail ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    wheres your proof of this?

if a woman doesnt want a baby then being married is not going to change her mind
    Most women getting abortions (83%) are unmarried; 67% have never married, and 16% are separated, divorced, or widowed. Married women are significantly less likely than unmarried women to resolve unintended pregnancies through abortion.
    Source

Well glad we cleared that up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Er, before she was even pregnant he tied her up when she tried to leave him. Is that ok behaviour? Not to mention breaking into her house and smashing stuff up. He could and should be arrested for that. That's not losing his temper, that's breaking the law.
    So? He acted stupidly but that doesnt make him abusive. If OP was more considerate then nothing would have happened in the first place

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, you do know no contraception is 100% effective?

And there is no 'moral duty', the miniscule amount of cells is barely living and does not constitute a human or a living thing. Every woman should and does have the right to abort, and you can't ignore the '9 months of pain nonsense' - why should she ruin her body/put her career on hold when she can just get rid of it early on. In fact, i'm all for extending the time limit, but that's another topic.
    Don't be foolish. Condoms are 99% effective. The pill is aprox 97% effective. If both are used, the chance of pregnancy occuring is 0.03%.

This means that if a couple were to have sex 3333 times, statistically they would only conceive once. Just once. Out of over three thousand times. Its not 100% but its pretty damn close don't you think?

And of course you are right. Why should a woman damage her career because of a baby? By your twisted logic, a woman should be able to murder other applicants for a job that she applied for. Think about it for a while.

The "miniscule amount of cells" has the potential to become a human life. You were once a miniscule amount of cells. Don't try and talk about it in such a detatched way. You were an insignificant little bundle of cells once. Does that mean that if your mother thought that you would be a bit of an inconvinence to her work she should have got rid of you?

ReputationRep:
    Err... you obviously should have consulted with him...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Biology fail ^^
    Wow, i didn't pick up on this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok so in a situation and I don’t know what to do.

A couple of months ago I found out I was pregnant and immediately aborted it without a second thought. There is no way I can have a baby at this stage of my life and I never plan to have a baby ever – I’m not a maternal women.

I didn’t consult the ex as I knew he would force me to keep it (I broke up with him straight after I found out I was pregnant)

Some history on me and the ex:
    We’ve been on/off for 5 years. He is way more attached to me than I to him. As much as I love him I have problems in holding down a relationship – fears of commitment and abandonment which I can’t be bothered to go in detail – most of all our problems in the relationship stem from me e.g some months I would be ok and things would ok between us then I would leave him out of the blue as I felt I was being smothered and needed space. He is a very loving man and says I am “the one” he will marry and that he wont stop – emotional ******** like that puts me off im not a lovey dovey person - he has on more than one occasion proposed but I always run away as I cant be bothered with all this commitment **** . He’s always complaining that I’m dead and cold-hearted.

Anyway a couple of days ago I found my ex had broken in to my flat after he found (I still don’t know how – I told no one) out about the abortion. I come home to find him sitting in my living room. He immediately started screaming profanities at me calling me evil for aborting his baby, and what kind of mother I was etc.
    When I tried to argue my case he started punching the walls and smashing everything in the room the TV, the chairs, just everything - I got really frightened so I ran in my bedroom and locked the door.
    I could hear him screaming at me “we could have made it work” “why didn’t you tell me” “you killed my baby”

After a few hours of him hysterically crying, screaming profanities and trying to break my bedroom door he had calmed down and asked me to open the door so we could talk properly and he would promise not to lose his temper on me – I still was pretty shaken up and was too scared to open the door so I asked him to leave which after a while he did.

Anyway now I’m really scared as I don’t know what he will do. I know I was wrong not to tell him but I know what he is like and he would’ve forced me to keep it which is a no-no for me. He has a history of doing stupid things as he is (actually we both are) eccentric people e.g at one point he tied me up to the bed post to stop me from leaving him – very stupid very dumb stuff.

I have heard anything from him for a few days but I have a feeling something will happen in the next few days. What shall I do?

You should of consulted him first:mad: It's understandable that he is annoyed but he is taking it too far. Don't call the police like someone else said but go live with mates/family for a week or so till he calms down and then try and talk to him with someone with you.:yep:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.