Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bright children 'being held back' at school Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    It would be interesting to see what you would say about this if you didn't get into these special schools, even though the schools for everyone else were basically like ******** comprehensives but without the clever people.

Anyway, yes. It's been fairly obvious, even to me as a child, since I was about six. Gifted and Talented Academy is a load of ******** though; half the people in it from my school I wouldn't trust to change a light bulb.

But to pin this on "social mobility" is dangerously politically deceptive. Social mobility has barely budged and arguably decreased since Labour have been in power; Labour policy has not promoted social mobility, particularly from the lower social classes (it has been mostly the middle class who have benefited, ironically, particularly in education) whether it was intended to or not and to claim that it has usually has the (often intentional) effect of blackening the whole concept of "social mobility" as some kind of NuLab Neo-Marxist Lefty Liberal Plot To Tax The Daily Mail Readership Out Of Existence. Which it isn't. Because the whole point of promoting social mobility is so that the talented poor can do something with their lives. :ta:
    I wouldn't say it was intentional, but I imagine quite a few on the Labour left want 'social mobility' to be discredited because of their egalitarian biases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gremlins)
    I don't understand why apparently bright kids begrudge their less able counterparts receiving help. If you're so clever, do extra work yourself - I thought Tories believed in self-reliance :p:
    I'd be surprised if the 'bright' student's begrudged the extra help, but I can understand the frustration of being ignored because you don't need any help with the task set.

Those student's who are bright beyond their year group DO need support...if they need nothing else they need to be given direction as to what else to study. Independent learning is great, but you need to be taught what is applicable as an extension - otherwise it's teaching bad habits for later study.

Fortunately I was taught not only how to choose and structure what I studied, but prepared for the realities of university and the challenges that come with attending university early. I can't imagine the degree of boredom experienced by those who ought to be offered fast track study programs but are held back with their year group!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)
    I'd be surprised if the 'bright' student's begrudged the extra help, but I can understand the frustration of being ignored because you don't need any help with the task set.

Those student's who are bright beyond their year group DO need support...if they need nothing else they need to be given direction as to what else to study. Independent learning is great, but you need to be taught what is applicable as an extension - otherwise it's teaching bad habits for later study.

Fortunately I was taught not only how to choose and structure what I studied, but prepared for the realities of university and the challenges that come with attending university early. I can't imagine the degree of boredom experienced by those who ought to be offered fast track study programs but are held back with their year group!
    It wasn't that boring actually..
    We spent our time chatting, playing games and doing absolutely anything to pass the time... including reading books and doing work (not of school work) that we found interesting.

But I agree with you entirely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.