Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The NHS pays to 'cure' homosexuals watch

(Original post by Ataloss)
    On the substantive claim - it borders on abuse to take vulnerable young people who are distressed that they may be gay and offering them "cure". Their published theories as to the potential causes of homosexuality are thrown at the patient by the therapist and, as with all things, if you throw enough mud a tiny bit will stick. This is of course true when the patient desperately does not want to be gay and is looking for an excuse/cause for their sexuality. The desperate desire not to be gay is what makes some people think "ex-gay" therapy works as the patient wants to change to so badly they are willing to accept anything the therapist says.

Ex-gay therapy is opposed by all recognized and reputable psychological and psychiatric organizations including the American Psychiatric Association and the Royal College of Psychiatrists.

Far from being a treatment this does more harm than good breaking one of the fundamental ethical principles of medical treatment.
    You're assuming that all those who seek reparative therapy are "vulnerable young people".

There are 'cases' on NARTH's website that are people who are mature and fully adult. Have a look and see for yourself.

The treatment does work. Not in all cases, but certainly in some...and without any harm to the individual as you claim.

The fundamental ethical principles of therapy are that they meet the needs of the individual, not that they meet certain criteria that reflects the opinions of those opposed to such therapy.

In respone to the anonymous neg repper who claims that these points are 'sick' they are points elaborated on by the people involved in reparation therapy.

Regardless of our own views, the views of those who are closely involved in this work are surely more credible than our own since we do not have the experience that they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    1You're assuming that all those who seek reparative therapy are "vulnerable young people".

2There are 'cases' on NARTH's website that are people who are mature and fully adult. Have a look and see for yourself.

3The treatment does work. Not in all cases, but certainly in some...and without any harm to the individual as you claim.

4The fundamental ethical principles of therapy are that they meet the needs of the individual, not that they meet certain criteria that reflects the opinions of those opposed to such therapy.
    I hope you don't mind but I have labelled each of your points for ease of reply.

1 - The vast majority of the "ex-gay" therapy clientele are young people. People seeking psychological therapy for something they are deeply insecure and/or are unhappy about are by definition vulnerable.

2 - There are "cases" of being hit by lightning but they by no means make up the majority of the population. I have glanced at NARTH's website and listened to Dr Nicolosi's speeches. Neither are impressive.

3 - There is simply no decent or medically substantiated evidence that the treatment works and please do not suggest Psychological Reports for reasons outlined in my last post.

4 - The 4 ethical principles of medical therapy are beneficence, non-maleficence (meaning to cause no harm), autonomy and justice. Undoubtedly "ex-gay" therapy does not adhere to the principle of non-maleficence as stated by the American Psychiatric Association and the Royal College of Psychiatrists among others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    That's not a 'fact' at all, it's just ********. Indeed, as it seems sexuality is largely an environmental thing, people cannot only change the sexuality of others, but are instrumental in its creation.
    This is just wrong, I'm afraid. Every major psychological/psychiatric/medical association has made it clear that sexuality is not a choice and cannot be changed.

These so-called 'therapies' are just avenues for bigots and ignorant people to assert their idea of what's 'normal' onto others. According to reputable opinion, homosexuality is no longer seen as something which needs to be treated, thankfully.

Do you view homosexuality negatively? I thought you were a strong liberal, so I was quite surprised to see some of your posts in this thread, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to see their efforts to convert a gay man into a straight man.

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was the loony right wing americans that were this stupid

ReputationRep:
    If gay people would like to make use of such services then why not, the NHS is for everyone after all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruby321)
    If gay people would like to make use of such services then why not, the NHS is for everyone after all!
    ...but not for everything.

ReputationRep:
    I have found a gay cure, please send me your dosh and I will cure you or anyone you wish to be cured :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    The NHS does not fund such things on purpose. Counsellors and therapists have been struck off for doing this sort of thing, it's unethical to provide a course of "treatment" which is unnecessary and dangerous, no matter how much the patient might want it at the time. But the way the funding structure of the NHS works, some people probably do get hold of money for doing this sort of thing.

I note the article didn't go into specifics, hell it barely got into vague accusations. I doubt it's a widespread problem.

(Original post by yawn)
    Not entirely correct.

Have a look at this website which is scientifically based - and the claims of success in affecting a change in homosexual orientation.

I did link it on my post #17 on the previous page...you might not have seen it.

http://www.narth.com/docs/published.html
    NARTH is a hate group, with fewer scientific credentials than Dr Mengele, and only marginally better ethics. Several people have explained this to you but you don't seem to get it: NARTH exists to sell a therapy which is at best dangerous, unreliable and unnecessary. It came into existence because when every discipline in mental and social health came to the conclusion that homosexuality was not a disorder, a bunch of homophobic asshats decided to ignore the collective wisdom of their respective disciplines and carry on medically torturing people for it anyway.

If you cannot grasp that this is not a viable source of information, then you're seriously lacking in either intellect or integrity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    ...but not for everything.
    It all depends on what each PCT decides to fund. They all agree on which services to provide and which ones not to provide and that relies on the needs of that particular area

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.