Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I use this thing called witch stick, it always gets rid of spots pretty fast, but I only get 1 or 2 now and then so it might not work if you get a lot of spots.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you've got.
    YOU CANNOT BUY A CREAM FROM THE SHELF IN SUPERDRUG THAT WILL CLEAR UP ACNE UNLESS YOU HAVE A PRESCRIPTION! I THINK ITS ACTUALLY AGAINST THE LAW TO SELL TO SELL A CREAM THAT WILL MAKE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE TO YOUR SKIN WITHOUT PRESCRIPTION. SO IF ITS REALLY BAD GOT TO THE DOCTOR. The likes of Clearasil, Simple etc are not designed for people with bad skin, they are for people with average skin who get the odd spot every few days and use it to clean and freshen their faces up a bit. They will not turn you from Pizza to Princess in 3 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    oiugbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    I use Benzoyl peroxide 2.5%. I use the brand panoxy gel. Works wonders for me, cleared me up completely very fast and I was really bad. Only problem is it dries your skin out a bit at first, but that soon went.

You are right, this stuff is really good. I get it on prescription, I only have to use it at night before bed, and its helped clear up my very bad acne. Miracle gel! :yep:

ALSO in combination with Anti-Blemish solutions by Clinique, my spots havent come back. Pricey, but worth it. Especially the soap, less harsh than normal Dove soap.

ReputationRep:
    There's loads of different spot treatments that you can use you can even use Lemon Juice For Spot Treatment which is about as natural as it gets if your concerned about chemical etc coming in contact with you skin.

Check out This Blog they go through lots of different methods of spot treatment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    I use Benzoyl peroxide 2.5%. I use the brand panoxy gel. Works wonders for me, cleared me up completely very fast and I was really bad. Only problem is it dries your skin out a bit at first, but that soon went.
    Yep, I've just started back up with this - it does work. You do however have to use a good moisturiser too. And never get anything higher than 2.5% if you do this.
    You don't need a prescription - you can get it from most pharmacies.

My routine now is:

Morning - wash with gentle cleanser, moisturise.
    Night - wash with gentle cleanser, benzoyl peroxide, moisturise.
    (you need to leave 10 minutes or so between each part!)

ReputationRep:
    Is this for preventing spots? Or dealing with them once they are there?

Two very different things.

ReputationRep:
    Benzoyl peroxide is the best...google it, maybe buy that oxy cream that has benzoyl peroxide in it..

ReputationRep:
    germolen

ReputationRep:
    Go to Boots and ask if they have a cream in called 'Quinoderm'
    Honestly mate it worked great for me when I had my spots. It's only about £3 a tube I think (may have changed)
    Way better than all that Clearasil ****

ReputationRep:
    This is my first post in well over a year (may be 2), have you missed me TSR?!

Anyway, don't listen to people with greasy hair who wear coats made out of old leaves who tell you to cover your face with strawberries, one straight and simple solution (which from my previous experience is the ONLY solution): roaccutane.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.paulaschoice.co.uk/shop/skin-care/clear

ReputationRep:
    Kiehl's Clearly Corrective spot solution works wonders
    With continued daily usage, Clearly Corrective helps to prevent the formation of future dark spots and other skin discolorations.

ReputationRep:
    It completely depends on the individual as to what treatment will work for them.
    Some people may find a cream will work for them, others may find a lotion or gel will work for them.
    Some people discover that no medical treatment will help their spots but it's in fact their lifestyle which causes them to get spots e.g diet
    Some people use natural remedies and some people need to be prescribed a treatment from a dermatologist or doctor.
    Some people have laser treatment or chemical peals, while others are able to treat their spots with a natural rice face mask or whatever.
    The best thing to do is trial-and-error different treatments and see what works best for YOU.

Also, you must remember that these treatments (at least most of them) can take a long time to make any changes to your skin at all.
    I was once on a gel prescribed by my doctors for my skin, I used it for 3 months before it started making any changes.
    So, you must be patient!

One of the best things to do is to find the core reason as to why you're getting spots.
    Is it because your skin is too oily?
    Has your diet changed?
    Are you ill?
    Have you been in the sun for too long?
    Are you touching your face with your hands without cleaning them?
    These are all common reasons as to what causes acne.
    Once you have sourced the core reason as to why you're getting acne/spots, then you can take the right action to stop the outbreaks from happening.

The best thing to so also, is instead of waiting for spots to arise and then treat them, is to try and prevent spots from arriving at all!
    You can do this by:
    Drinking lots of water
    Having plenty of exercise
    Having a good skin care routine
    Have a good diet
    and treat your skin with care!
    (These are just a few tips as to how you can prevent spots, ask around or look online for more)

Just remember as well, don't just go to the expensive products on the shelf because they are expensive and therefore are more likely to do a better job, as this is not true!
    When trialing and erroring products, start from the cheapest brands first for example, ASDA's own and work your way up!
    This will save you money in the long run, and many people under estimate the lower priced brands, because remember your skin is individual!

I hope this helps Feel free to message me if you have any other questions, I'm a bit of a skin geek.

ReputationRep:
    Drinking lots water help's alot, also you can get perscribed acne tablets from the doctors called 'Tetracycline' It helps to keep you spot's away, It really works.

ReputationRep:
    DON'T USE TOOTHPASTE. It dries out the skin and make it look a lot worse. not to mention that it burns like hell.

I don't know any treatments tbh, just good old water and sweat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dilburt)
    Benzoyl peroxide is the best...google it, maybe buy that oxy cream that has benzoyl peroxide in it..
    Does it prevent spot or treats it? Or both?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuaib786)
    Does it prevent spot or treats it? Or both?
    treats it...if you wanna prevent spots, eat healthy and do exercise

ReputationRep:
    Sudocreme always works for me!

ReputationRep:
    A bit pricey for the size of it but a lot of people swear by this:
    http://www.origins.co.uk/product/634...gel/index.tmpl

I find Sudocrem to be really effective too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.