Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official thread FP1, 1st Febraury 2010 watch

• View Poll Results: How do you rate this paper (on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best)?
    7.25%
    1.45%
    0%
    1.45%
    2.90%
    1.45%
    8.70%
    8.70%
    21.74%
    46.38%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ClaireW2708)
    For my course (veterinary) they're looking for totally different things. Cambridge has a very scientifically orientated course, and Nottingham's is more hands on from the start. I guess they didn't think it would suit me so well (and I agree). I also don't have as much work experience as a lot of Nottingham applicants

To keep this on topic, I liked this exam! Any chance of an unofficial mark scheme?
    oh ok....that makes sense

cheers!

ReputationRep:
    I think it was ok. What did we have to do for the non-singular matrices question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    I think it was ok. What did we have to do for the non-singular matrices question?
    Prove that ad-bc could not equal 0 when a is real.
    You found a quadratic for the discriminant, then show b^2 - 4ac < 0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    Prove that if a is real, det(A) can never = 0

ReputationRep:
    Prove that ad-bc could not equal 0 when a is real.
    You found a quadratic for the discriminant, then show b^2 - 4ac < 0.
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Prove that if a is real, det(A) can never = 0

Oh I did the first bit, and I lost the other 1 or 2 marks for the discriminant bit lol. Oh well, didn't get the 100 . How did you know? Or have you done a similar q? The past papers were easiar and the practice papers were harder...

i did detA =/=

edit:

I got a^2+4a+10=/=0

and did some other rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    well x= 15c and -c = y, and you just plug these values into the equation. You can then cancel out the cs, and you get a qudratic with the ts. I solved, and got two values for t.

And it said that a general point P on the curve is: P(ct , c/t)

So you just plug the value of t into this and you get two points. Thats what I done and I got it to be:

A: (3c , c/3)
    B: (-5c , -c/5)

I think I got the same lol.. Would I lose the marks if I said A and B were swapped over? Because they didn't mention anything about the signs...

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get 44/3 or 14.66666667 for the perimeter of the trapezium one?

I have loads of questions lol! Where are FM people!? lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    I think I got the same lol.. Would I lose the marks if I said A and B were swapped over? Because they didn't mention anything about the signs...

What do you mean swapped over? You mean, B is (-5c, -c/5) and A the other? You won't lose marks, coz it didn't specify which one was which.

Yes I did for the trapezium one And I do further maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    Oh I did the first bit, and I lost the other 1 or 2 marks for the discriminant bit lol. Oh well, didn't get the 100 . How did you know? Or have you done a similar q? The past papers were easiar and the practice papers were harder...

i did detA =/=

edit:

I got a^2+4a+10=/=0

and did some other rubbish.
    Yep, I got the same equation.

I wasn't sure what to do for a moment, then I realised. For a matrix to be singular (no inverse) the determinant must be 0. So I put the equation equal to 0. The question said a is real, so b^2 - 4ac seemed the logical thing. Sorry, not very helpful!

I thought this paper was miles easier than the few practise/past ones I did, I was really worried about it but it was ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    What do you mean swapped over? You mean, B is (-5c, -c/5) and A the other? You won't lose marks, coz it didn't specify which one was which.

Yeah. A friend of mine was like but "in mathematics, you should always do +ve to -ve when A and B are involved" :blah: She was talking a whole load of tosh then. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)

Don't we all do Further Maths? Otherwise, why would ou have sat the paper..?
    I do AS Further Maths, as an extra AS for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    Yeah. A friend of mine was like but "in mathematics, you should always do +ve to -ve when A and B are involved" :blah: She was talking a whole load of tosh then. :p:
    If that was the case that would be very harsh. I call BS :P

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I got the same equation.

I wasn't sure what to do for a moment, then I realised. For a matrix to be singular (no inverse) the determinant must be 0. So I put the equation equal to 0. The question said a is real, so b^2 - 4ac seemed the logical thing. Sorry, not very helpful!

I thought this paper was miles easier than the few practise/past ones I did, I was really worried about it but it was ok.

No I totally get you now! Damn it lol. Should've re-read the question.

I seem to have forgotten some of the questions lol.

And omg, I normally finish pure exams in like 45- 60 mins. That exam, I finished like 75 mins... I really panicked, because I kept looking up at the board and seeing END: 3:58 but it was actually 3:28 and that time was for Health and Social Care students. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    No I totally get you now! Damn it lol. Should've re-read the question.

I seem to have forgotten some of the questions lol.

And omg, I normally finish pure exams in like 45- 60 mins. That exam, I finished like 75 mins... I really panicked, because I kept looking up at the board and seeing END: 3:58 but it was actually 3:28 and that time was for Health and Social Care students. :mad:
    I've forgotten most of it I come out, and then clock out the while thing. I only remember them when someone mentions it.
    I've struggled to do both the other FP1 papers I've attempted with in the time limit, but this one took 35 minutes I work fast though, and write fast. C1 = 20 mins max. I hate having to wait out the rest of the time!

ReputationRep:
    Don't we all do Further Maths? Otherwise, why would ou have sat the paper..?
    I do AS Further Maths, as an extra AS for no reason.

Yeah, I do AS FM but in 18 months, mainly independent learning... But I have a FAB teacher who comes once a week and goes through it all. That was my last FM AS module.

ReputationRep:
    I've forgotten most of it I come out, and then clock out the while thing. I only remember them when someone mentions it.
    I've struggled to do both the other FP1 papers I've attempted with in the time limit, but this one took 35 minutes I work fast though, and write fast. C1 = 20 mins max. I hate having to wait out the rest of the time!

Yeah! C1, the examinars must think, damn this girl was bothered, I literally did every question at least twice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    Yeah, I do AS FM but in 18 months, mainly independent learning... But I have a FAB teacher who comes once a week and goes through it all. That was my last FM AS module.
    Oh fair enough We're doing it (taught) over a year, with 2 lessons a week, so we aren't confident about much of it. Not enough practise! What other modules did you do? We just started S1, and we'll be doing D1.

ReputationRep:
    For that matrix question...i completed the square and found the minimum point which was (-2.6) i think and so that means it can't be zero...i thought it made sense...im sure theres more then one way to show it though

ReputationRep:
    Oh fair enough We're doing it (taught) over a year, with 2 lessons a week, so we aren't confident about much of it. Not enough practise! What other modules did you do? We just started S1, and we'll be doing D1.

Erm, I'm currently doing, M1,S1 retake. C4 and S2. I've done, C1-3, D1. confusing lol. Are you doing AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)

44/3

hi-five!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.