Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[SOLVED] Computer turns on at some point in the night... watch

ReputationRep:
    ok, if i put my computer to sleep/hibernate, when i come back in the morning, it is already on.
    i don't know if it is the same time every time (last night i hibernated it at 4.30am) or something random triggers it.
    if i shut down, it wont turn on, but this is not always convenient.

any ideas as to what it could be?

edit: if you want to know the hardware, its in my sig, the top one. only relevant thing i can think of is its running windows 7

ReputationRep:
    That's strange, I have this problem too. It only happens occasionally when I put my computer into hibernate at night and I've come back in the morning to find my computer on.

I'm running Windows 7 too, just I'm running Home 64bit edition rather than professional edition

ReputationRep:
    I've had this problem aswell. I set my computer to hibernate then when I come back in the morning I find that it has turned itself back on. The only difference is that I'm running Vista rather than Windows 7.

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you try actually turning the thing off? If you put it into hibernate, something as small ass the mouse moving can turn it back on. Hibernation is not the same as turning it off.

ReputationRep:
    I think its to do with windows update. Everytime I put it into sleep when there is an update notification next to the "shut down" option on the start menu, I will wake up to hear my computer turning itself back on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Why dont you try actually turning the thing off? If you put it into hibernate, something as small ass the mouse moving can turn it back on. Hibernation is not the same as turning it off.
    Isn't that sleep you're talking about?

EDIT: Alex you can try unplugging your mouse just to be safe. Is it connected to the internet via LAN or wireless?

If it's LAN, Click.

ReputationRep:
    I put my pc into sleep frequently and I never have this problem...
    Check your hibernation settings..

Maybe it's your PSU resetting and causing the pc to start again.

I had a similar problem with my Vista machine.
    When I shut it down, it would just restart instead of shutting down. I had to hold down the power button for a hard shut down.

ReputationRep:
    is it connected to the net?

mine did this before an update put an end to it, but it was being pinged by the network (either general modem activity or someone trying to access my computer) which was causing it to turn on. scared the hell outta me at 3am! DOOO DEE DOO DOOOOOO...

ReputationRep:
    It's windows update. It's configured to install updates at 3am (usually) and will come out of sleep/hibernation mode to do so.

You need to either actually shut down the laptop before bed, or change the windows update settings.

ReputationRep:
    It could be a problem I get. It could be the mouse or something else like the keyboard that wake it up if unintentionally moved/keys pressed. If you go into device manager (start, right click computer and then manage) and find your mouse/keyboard, you can right click that and if there is one, click the power management tab. After, ensure "Allow this device to wake the computer" is not checked. Rinse and repeat for other likely devices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    ok, if i put my computer to sleep/hibernate, when i come back in the morning, it is already on.
    i don't know if it is the same time every time (last night i hibernated it at 4.30am) or something random triggers it.
    if i shut down, it wont turn on, but this is not always convenient.

any ideas as to what it could be?

edit: if you want to know the hardware, its in my sig, the top one. only relevant thing i can think of is its running windows 7
    Do you have it set up to run on a TV? Mine does the same, and I think I've worked out to be that because it's connected by HDMI to my TV, it thinks it is still running and boots back up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    if you read my OP, i said i can turn it off normally but this is sometimes not convenient.
    the thing about moving the mouse is sleep. plus i have a wireless keyboard and mouse, so the only way to turn the pc on when fully off, in sleep, or hibernation, is using the power button.

(Original post by ChrisBan)
    I think its to do with windows update. Everytime I put it into sleep when there is an update notification next to the "shut down" option on the start menu, I will wake up to hear my computer turning itself back on.
    windows update is set to 8pm, not 3am

(Original post by khalaf)
    Isn't that sleep you're talking about?

EDIT: Alex you can try unplugging your mouse just to be safe. Is it connected to the internet via LAN or wireless?

If it's LAN, Click.
    il have a read

(Original post by ash-corbett-collins)
    Do you have it set up to run on a TV? Mine does the same, and I think I've worked out to be that because it's connected by HDMI to my TV, it thinks it is still running and boots back up.
    its connected by DVI

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you sleepwalk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)

windows update is set to 8pm, not 3am

Regardless of whether that is the case, I didn't mean to imply that windows update runs... just if you have an update that requires a restart and you haven't restarted before you put your computer into standy-by it seems to do it at exactly 3am in the morning... I'm just basing this on what the consistent theme is with mine for starting up through the night.

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem when I first got my laptop, it's a total nightmare!

I fixed it like this, but it may be a different issue depending on your computer and setup.

- You need Device Manager: Control panel; System; Hardware; Devices - Device Manager
    - Click the arrow next to Network Adapters
    - Right-click the one you're using and select properties
    - Select the Power Management tab
    - Uncheck the box that says 'Allow this device to wake the computer'
    - Cross your fingers and hope

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Regardless of whether that is the case, I didn't mean to imply that windows update runs... just if you have an update that requires a restart and you haven't restarted before you put your computer into standy-by it seems to do it at exactly 3am in the morning... I'm just basing this on what the consistent theme is with mine for starting up through the night.
    ok, well there were no windows updates waiting to be installed

(Original post by Scavenger)
    I had this problem when I first got my laptop, it's a total nightmare!

I fixed it like this, but it may be a different issue depending on your computer and setup.

- You need Device Manager: Control panel; System; Hardware; Devices - Device Manager
    - Click the arrow next to Network Adapters
    - Right-click the one you're using and select properties
    - Select the Power Management tab
    - Uncheck the box that says 'Allow this device to wake the computer'
    - Cross your fingers and hope

Good luck!
    i've changed this

i will let people know if this fixes it

ReputationRep:
    ok, so with the network adaptors not allowed to wake the computer, it still turns on:holmes:
    now il try the keyboard and mouse

ReputationRep:
    At first I would have said the NIC would be waking it up but I see you have disabled that :hmmmm: I don't think there is much chance of the mouse moving during the night, unless you have ghosts :vroam: or possably a dog or cat could be walking past :dontknow:

It could be something to do with Windows Update, though I would also check what software you have running in the background; for example auto de-fragmentation software can wake the computer to preform a defrag.

Seems quite strange though :pcguru:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielNewton)
    At first I would have said the NIC would be waking it up but I see you have disabled that :hmmmm: I don't think there is much chance of the mouse moving during the night, unless you have ghosts :vroam: or possably a dog or cat could be walking past :dontknow:

It could be something to do with Windows Update, though I would also check what software you have running in the background; for example auto de-fragmentation software can wake the computer to preform a defrag.

Seems quite strange though :pcguru:
    hmmm
    i have had 2 BSODs in the last few days, how odd

anyway, tonight i will see if its the keyboard/mouse

ReputationRep:
    turned on again :mad:

this time il check the BIOS

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.