Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

[SOLVED] Computer turns on at some point in the night... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    turned on again :mad:

this time il check the BIOS
    I'd have said Wake on LAN is set in your BIOS tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Sure it isnt just windows set to update/scan in the middle of the night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lapis lazuli)
    Sure it isnt just windows set to update/scan in the middle of the night?
    please read the thread before posting, i said i've changed it

ReputationRep:
    please read the thread before posting, i said i've changed it
    You said you have changed the update time, have you also changed the windows defender scan time?

Have you checked the task scheduler to see if any programs as set to do anything at that time?

Edit: I have found a test which shows what woke your pc up in windows vista (no doubt the same in 7)

Control Panel --> Admin Tools ---> Event Viewer --> windows logs --> SYSTEM --> then in the source column check items listed under 'power troubleshooter' and it displays what woke up your pc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lapis lazuli)
    You said you have changed the update time, have you also changed the windows defender scan time?

Have you checked the task scheduler to see if any programs as set to do anything at that time?

Edit: I have found a test which shows what woke your pc up in windows vista (no doubt the same in 7)

Control Panel --> Admin Tools ---> Event Viewer --> windows logs --> Setup --> then in the source column check items listed under 'power troubleshooter' and it displays what woke up your pc.
    there is nothing related to power in that list

but there is in System...

ReputationRep:
    there is nothing related to power in that list

but there is in System...
    Perhaps its a typo!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The system has resumed from sleep.

Sleep Time: ‎2010‎-‎02‎-‎02T04:37:30.137899600Z
    Wake Time: ‎2010‎-‎02‎-‎02T05:50:20.292216900Z

Wake Source: Unknown

ReputationRep:
    Try this. (In Windows 7) Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power Options -> (Left side click) Change when the computer sleeps -> (Click) Change advanced power settings
    You will get a new window open called "Power Options"
    Click Sleep -> Allow wake timers. Change it to disable
    See if that fixes your problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness123)
    Try this. (In Windows 7) Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power Options -> (Left side click) Change when the computer sleeps -> (Click) Change advanced power settings
    You will get a new window open called "Power Options"
    Click Sleep -> Allow wake timers. Change it to disable
    See if that fixes your problem.
    good find, il try that tonight

ReputationRep:
    Open Command Prompt.
    Type this in:
    powercfg -lastwake

Do this if it turns itself on tonight. It should tell you what turned it on. Copy and paste the information here.

ReputationRep:
    Do you use windows media centre?

On vista, mine comes out of hibernate/sleep every day at 6am to fetch the Electronic Programme Guide for the day, I can't find any way of changing this setting.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it's going to be a Wake-on-LAN, it's not just any LAN activity that'll wake the thing up...that's not the point.

Regardless of fixing Windows update, I still blame Windows, it has so many mysterious services that it schedules for God knows when. It was turning my PC on at 4am, quite disturbing when you wake up to find your PC turned on in the middle of the night...especially given the eerie blue glow from the power LED.

ReputationRep:
    Check hibernation/sleep settings.

Also, check the BIOS for power on. Ages ago when I was on dialup, the pc turned on whenever a call was recieved on the same line. LAN may also have the same effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkness123)
    i think this has fixed it

rep is on its way

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.