Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have decided that i want to apply 4 mathematics and computer science at oxford next year if these r ok subjects:

Mathematics
    Physics
    Computing
    Economics
    General Studies

are these suitable subjects for the degree i want to apply for? should i do an AS Level in further maths or are these subjects ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    thats what we have the subforum for though...
    well are they adequate or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    yes tehy are. but you should really put it in the other sub forums
    he only wants advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    yes tehy are. but you should really put it in the other sub forums
    do i need to do an AS level in Further Maths or r my subjects ok as they r ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_thompson)
    I have decided that i want to apply 4 mathematics and computer science at oxford next year if these r ok subjects:

Mathematics
    Physics
    Computing
    Economics
    General Studies

are these suitable subjects for the degree i want to apply for? should i do an AS Level in further maths or are these subjects ok?
    I would suggest you do the full further maths A-level, perhaps instead of economics if you don't want to take 6 A-levels. For Oxbridge, I think this (further maths) is what they would expect for this degree. Perhaps if it were just for comp. sci., it would not be such a concern...

ReputationRep:
    Most other applicants will have further maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    I would suggest you do the full further maths A-level, perhaps instead of economics if you don't want to take 6 A-levels. For Oxbridge, I think this (further maths) is what they would expect for this degree. Perhaps if it were just for comp. sci., it would not be such a concern...
    mmm........odd.

i looked on the oxford website and it said:

essential: Full A-Level Mathematics
    reccommended: Physics or Further Mathematics

and i also have computing which is definately related to the course....

ReputationRep:
    mmm........odd.

i looked on the oxford website and it said:

essential: Full A-Level Mathematics
    reccommended: Physics or Further Mathematics

and i also have computing which is definately related to the course....
    They would prefer further maths to computing.

ReputationRep:
    Computing has little relevance at A-level to the type of course you would do at Oxford.

You will be severely hindering yourself by not doing F.Maths - I would have thought it would be an obvious a-level choice for someone wanting to do a degree in it (providing your school does it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle)
    Computing has little relevance at A-level to the type of course you would do at Oxford.

You will be severely hindering yourself by not doing F.Maths - I would have thought it would be an obvious a-level choice for someone wanting to do a degree in it (providing your school does it).
    so i shouldnt bother applying then?

ReputationRep:
    Yes apply, but if you can do f. maths and don't you're not helping yourself. Plenty of people get in without it, I just don't understand why you seem so 'anti' it. I would have done f. maths if I could and I applied for geology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle)
    Yes apply, but if you can do f. maths and don't you're not helping yourself. Plenty of people get in without it, I just don't understand why you seem so 'anti' it. I would have done f. maths if I could and I applied for geology!
    i am not anti-further maths.

because i do economics, it clashed with further maths and thats why i am doing economics instead of further maths.

i thought that my subjects would be fine.......but it seems i cant apply 4 any degree that i want without being disadvantaged by not doing further maths.

whether it be physics, maths, computer science, engineering or whatever.

i just wanted some breadth in my choices.........

ReputationRep:
    But can you still do the as?

ReputationRep:
    i am not anti-further maths.

because i do economics, it clashed with further maths and thats why i am doing economics instead of further maths.

i thought that my subjects would be fine.......but it seems i cant apply 4 any degree that i want without being disadvantaged by not doing further maths.

whether it be physics, maths, computer science, engineering or whatever.

i just wanted some breadth in my choices.........
    Further Maths is probably better even for economics than economics is. What about taking it up next year to A/S level?

ReputationRep:

Mathematics
    Physics
    Computing
    Economics
    General Studies

Why don't you give em a call and ask, I'm sure they won't mind I applied for Camb Natsci and got an interview with Biol, Geog, Chem and GS A2 and Physics AS, and they said they recommend 3 sci at A2 so don't be put off!!

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that general studies wouldn't really have any significance - do oxford actually accept it?
    I wouldn't just do it in order to get any 'easy' as level, seeing as many universities don't take it.

(Original post by TickityBoo)
    I would have thought that general studies wouldn't really have any significance - do oxford actually accept it?
    I wouldn't just do it in order to get any 'easy' as level, seeing as many universities don't take it.
    Many schools force people to do it.

ReputationRep:

Mathematics
    Physics
    Computing
    Economics
    General Studies

forget computing and replace it with further maths...i'd say ur chances of getting into oxford and doing a Maths degree without further maths is pretty slim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    forget computing and replace it with further maths...i'd say ur chances of getting into oxford and doing a Maths degree without further maths is pretty slim.
    forget computing for a degree that is half computer science? why?

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll see that the computing element of the degree is very dissimilar to your A-level.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.