Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle)
    I think you'll see that the computing element of the degree is very dissimilar to your A-level.
    right, so in teh degree you do a large chunk of programming etc, and in the computing a-level u also do a large chuck of programming?

and in the degree you also learn about computer systems and u also do that in the a-level?

the a-level is like a foundation for the degree to build on. when i go into that degree, i will already have a sound knowledge of computers etc and be able to program to a compotent standard.

irrelevant - i think not.

ReputationRep:
    i think its very relevant consiering half the degree is comp.sci.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_thompson)
    i think its very relevant consiering half the degree is comp.sci.
    But for a Maths course you would need f. maths and comp sci is very mathematical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    But for a Maths course you would need f. maths and comp sci is very mathematical.
    but it isnt a maths course - its a combined maths and comp sci.

ReputationRep:
    Alex
    A mistake that most people make is what u r just making now.
    Most top unis (for computer science) don't want their students to study A-level ICT or Computing, instead they encourage their students to take as much maths modeuls as possible.
    Computer science is made up of lots of maths...I would ve still adviced u to take further maths even if u were applying for BSc Computer Science.
    Because it'll give u a better chance of getting into top unis.
    But now ur applying for Mathematics and Comp.Sci. So Further MAths is neccessary.
    It is ur choice but if u do take Maths , Further Maths and Physics then u'd made ur life much easier.

ReputationRep:
    right, so in teh degree you do a large chunk of programming etc, and in the computing a-level u also do a large chuck of programming?

and in the degree you also learn about computer systems and u also do that in the a-level?

the a-level is like a foundation for the degree to build on. when i go into that degree, i will already have a sound knowledge of computers etc and be able to program to a compotent standard.

irrelevant - i think not.
    What you say makes complete sense. Unfortunately, admissions don't.

Computing is a nice Alevel to have (and won't put you at a disadvantage), but if you actually want to do Computing in any of the top uni's they'd prefer you to have Further Maths (especially with the mix you want to take).

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure why you asked this question when you seem unwilling to take on board the sound advise been given to you.

Don't be so defensive, listen and think and then do whatever you wish.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure why you asked this question when you seem unwilling to take on board the sound advise been given to you.

but i have already done a term of AS levels.

I have applied for Comp Sci and only do A-Level maths (not further). I think that Oxbridge would generally expect you to have done further maths but the majority of the other top ranking Uni's are generally happy with a good performance in maths alone. Doing further maths would certainly make you more appealing to them, particularly if you couple it with a practical / mathematical science (eg. physics or electronics). Computing is a very respected A-level to have but unfortunately the majority of the top Uni's don't really care about it all that much, it will not be a hinderance to you but it will not enhance you application by a great deal either.

Thats my understanding of it anyway...

ReputationRep:
    My bf's doing computer science at warwick, he did maths, f. maths, computing and physics. worked for him!

ReputationRep:
    I have decided that i want to apply 4 mathematics and computer science at oxford next year if these r ok subjects:

Mathematics
    Physics
    Computing
    Economics
    General Studies

are these suitable subjects for the degree i want to apply for? should i do an AS Level in further maths or are these subjects ok?
    A friend of mine studying maths with philosophy at Pembroke, Oxford did AS Further Maths, although as far as I remember that wasnt part of her offer in the end...she had to get AAA in Maths, RE and Chemistry. So I would apply with the aim to do Further Maths - so that the tutors know that you are capable of such a course and then wait and see, should you be made an offer, of whether they include it in their conditions.

ReputationRep:

Well said.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but you asked should you do an AS in Further Maths - we all said YES.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but you asked should you do an AS in Further Maths - we all said YES.
    would it be adequate?

ReputationRep:
    Yes is would show you had taken the opportunity to study it and will make your interview easier. It will give you the edge over 'non-further maths' people.

Good luck with it all - give yourself the best chance possible!

ReputationRep:
    Basically its up to you whether you take it or not...in the end Oxford will probably test you anyway - my friend had a test...as there are many able mathematicians out there...at the end of the day its the admissions tutor you need to convince not us!

ReputationRep:
    Yes is would show you had taken the opportunity to study it and will make your interview easier. It will give you the edge over 'non-further maths' people.

Good luck with it all - give yourself the best chance possible!
    should i kill myself and do All four A2's and an AS in Further Maths, or should i drop a subject and take the as level.......???

ReputationRep:
    I would drop the economics - although the comp. studies isn't neccesary it will look odd if you drop it!

ReputationRep:
    There is no point in doing four as all your offers will be in terms of three...so yeh drop one and do AS Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    There is no point in doing four as all your offers will be in terms of three...so yeh drop one and do AS Further Maths.
    which one though?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.