Streetracing Kills... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    street racing doesnt kill,
    .....yeh if youre racing at 30 mph:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    problem being, you price boy racers out of insurance, than you have the problem of said boy racer being uninsured when he drives anyway and wrecks into a family focus..
    I said price them out of driving.

other ways of doing it other than insurance.

With the growing number of ANPR cameras and increased DVLA and police monitoring of cars this phase of uninsured drivers will die out eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    I said price them out of driving.

other ways of doing it other than insurance.

With the growing number of ANPR cameras and increased DVLA and police monitoring of cars this phase of uninsured drivers will die out eventually.
    it really won't.. People literally pick up cars for £100 and under and run them until they get seized or pack in without any cover. they get caught, they do it all over again. they start stealing licence plates, they start taking the risk anyway.. It's not something that will die out regardless of how difficult it becomes..

you can't price driving out of the younger generations in ways other than insurance really, as it will effect others who need cars. It also doesnt stop those who are willing to spend for the privelage. and most importantly, it's a relative minority who are the problem imo so it definately wouldnt be the way forward. Many young people are responsible behind a wheel and many more *need* a car..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Do you understand just how retarded that statement makes you sound?
    :blah: Cool, you done boosting your ego yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vexper)
    :blah: Cool, you done boosting your ego yet?
    Wasn't aware I had one :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    it really won't.. People literally pick up cars for £100 and under and run them until they get seized or pack in without any cover. they get caught, they do it all over again. they start stealing licence plates, they start taking the risk anyway.. It's not something that will die out regardless of how difficult it becomes..
    That is simply not the case for the vast majority of teenagers!! Even your average CHAVs dont go to that lengths.

The only people who go to that lengths are those loosers who have a major criminal history and are going nowhere. Usually the no insurance etc is a drop in the ocean of the other offences these people commit.

ReputationRep:
    That is simply not the case for the vast majority of teenagers!! Even your average CHAVs dont go to that lengths.

The only people who go to that lengths are those loosers who have a major criminal history and are going nowhere. Usually the no insurance etc is a drop in the ocean of the other offences these people commit.
    yes, my point is that that behaviour will increase if driving is priced out for younguns imo. of course it doesnt apply across the board for teens, but theres a suprising amount of under 22's who drive uninsured from various backgrounds for various reasons, and it's something that'd only increase if insurance was made that pricey (which, imo is the only way you could possibly price out a certain demographic from driving).

ReputationRep:
    so you think teens will destroy thier future careers just to commit more and more serious crimes to avoid paying insurance??

Teenagers arent THAT stupid. Remember one uninsured conviction means ban and retest and unaffordable insurance even more so. It soon adds up to driving without license, without insurance, without tax, and perverting course of justice rapidly if they dont learn thier lesson and hence career then ****** until late 20s until their record falls off the picture under rehab of offenders act, plus life exclusion from some careers on character suitability.

Pay per mile tax is the likely way forward for government eventually and that can be easily targetted on young drivers as well as insurance. eg night curfews where majority of young people have accidents!

Youd be surprised to the size of the ANPR camera network these days, not to forget increasingly uninsured cars are being pulled off streets by police even parked up, private car parks etc. New tactics by police etc.

plus once youve got no insurance on your driver record all your vehicles will be red flagged on ANPR to check insurance. Same if you have no license.

Go past fixed or mobile ANPR and your screwed.

Sadly restrictions on youth driving and pricing them off road is the ONLY way to reduce the deaths/accidents as thier irresponsable behaviour continues despite AMPLE education on risks and dangers.

They managed restrictions on motorbikes for under 21s because simply young people in a significant minority of cases just cant be trusted. Its same with cars now and its not likely to improve any time soon.

So like most things, the minority ruin it for majority who get punnished.

ReputationRep:
    so you think teens will destroy thier future careers just to commit more and more serious crimes to avoid paying insurance??

Teenagers arent THAT stupid. Remember one uninsured conviction means ban and retest and unaffordable insurance even more so. It soon adds up to driving without license, without insurance, without tax, and perverting course of justice rapidly if they dont learn thier lesson and hence career then ****** until late 20s until their record falls off the picture under rehab of offenders act, plus life exclusion from some careers on character suitability.

Pay per mile tax is the likely way forward for government eventually and that can be easily targetted on young drivers as well as insurance. eg night curfews where majority of young people have accidents!

Youd be surprised to the size of the ANPR camera network these days, not to forget increasingly uninsured cars are being pulled off streets by police even parked up, private car parks etc. New tactics by police etc.

plus once youve got no insurance on your driver record all your vehicles will be red flagged on ANPR to check insurance. Same if you have no license.

Go past fixed or mobile ANPR and your screwed.

Sadly restrictions on youth driving and pricing them off road is the ONLY way to reduce the deaths/accidents as thier irresponsable behaviour continues despite AMPLE education on risks and dangers.

They managed restrictions on motorbikes for under 21s because simply young people in a significant minority of cases just cant be trusted. Its same with cars now and its not likely to improve any time soon.

So like most things, the minority ruin it for majority who get punnished.

again, several things spring to mind.

firstly again i'm not saying all youths would continue to drive, if I was still 17 and it was made illegal, I wouldnt; there are those who would. I knew 3 people who drove uninsured at one point or another. but I AM saying that in general it WILL increase, it's inevitable. I'm fully aware of how many ANPR cameras there all over the country, it doesn't deter the thousands of uninsured drivers (In some cities such as manchester I beleive it was almost 20% at one point) Your example sort of contradicts itself.

so they're not stupid enough to not risk driving without insurance, if that's the case, why are there so many thousands of cars pulled and removed from the roads uninsured. that ignorance comes with age does it? More so, in your example, they'll ruin their lives by the time the reach there 20's? well that'd be pointless wouldnt it when they can drive by the age of say 20 legally anyway no?

Restrictions on motorbike for under 21's isnt purely because youngun's can't be trusted, it's because getting on a bike that does 60 in 2 or 3 seconds for the first time not only takes restraint, but is easy to get wrong. plenty more mid life crisis riders jump on a bike and die because they ride like fools, more so than young'uns I beleive the restriction should apply there too. On the contrast, you can ride a moped from 16, and a 125cc bike that can reach 90mph and nip to 60 quicker than a lotta first cars without a formal test. That must because young riders can't be trusted too, right? so you can trust the majority of teens not to drive illegaly but can't trust the majority of teens to not go racing around? I suppose you never speed either, right?

I don't think that the problem is serious enough to warrant getting youths off the road, there are ample of older drivers who have worse habits, cause more deaths, drive more senselessly. If people can't drive till older, when they do jump in the car at age 20, there's still scope for the same mistakes and decisions. It makes no difference. Pricing people out of driving acheives nothing. people will either afford it or need to afford it and then instead of studying be forced to work for more money for a car. Tax per mile doesnt just harm 'young' drivers, even if it's more costly for them - theres no acceptable justification that young drivers should be taxed more to drive, and a sliding scale of tax bands based on mileage would do over familes and the elderly alike. It's not a problem purely bound by age, in the same way its not bournd purely by sex etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Wasn't aware I had one :yy:
    Sigmund Freud seems to think you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vexper)
    Sigmund Freud seems to think you have.
    Ahh, gotta love that crazy Austrian. Why, I'm sure he'd have something to say about your apparent lack of common sense :yy:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.