Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Haiti - everybody hurts Watch

ReputationRep:

It's now had it's first air play on radio 1, thoughts of the song?

Certainly the best of the songs for Haiti I've heard and I don't think it's completely destroyed the original, even if it is Simon Cowell backed :erm:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8492058.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    I don't think it's completely destroyed the original
    Oh it has.

ReputationRep:
    it's ok, i still prefer the original by REM

ReputationRep:
    It okay, I think the songs from the Haiti benefit are better but I'll still buy it to help raise money like I did with the Haiti benefit album.

You can tell it's been recorded seperately then cut together, it hasn't got the same impact as other charity singles involving a lot of celebs who have recorded it at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Oh it has.
    This. I agree with releasing a charity single, I just don't know why they chose an anti-suicide song :confused: and they ruined it :no:

ReputationRep:
    Mariah Carey warbling ruins everything. Whoever told her that is a good way to sing needs a slap.

ReputationRep:
    Oh it has.
    I said completely destroyed, I've heard far worse versions of this song, and while this one doesn't come close to the original, it hasn't completely destroyed it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    This. I agree with releasing a charity single, I just don't know why they chose an anti-suicide song :confused: and they ruined it :no:
    I completely disagree with releasing charity singles. You butcher someone else's meaningful work, or create your own trite song, and then make it almost immune from criticism because it's for "a good cause", so it doesn't matter how good it is.

Whatever happened to just donating on your own? It's not as if anyone doesn't know about Haiti now, and I don't need a very eclectic group of popstars to spur me into action.

As for the song, Simon Cowell probably didn't care about the meaning of the original, it just has a catchy name and sounds a little bit like they want to help.

Wrecked a good song, will not be buying.

It's a PR stunt for those involved.

ReputationRep:
    Wow this is really bad. So disjointed.. all the voices just clash with each other.

ReputationRep:
    I said completely destroyed, I've heard far worse versions of this song, and while this one doesn't come close to the original, it hasn't completely destroyed it :p:
    To be honest, any version which isn't the classic REM just can't compare. Completely destroyed maybe isn't right, as it hasn't soured any memories of the original, but if you listen to the two one after the other they just are in completely different leagues.

But as I said above, it will still sell like crazy and people will celebrate it because of it's charitable intentions rather than any artistic value it has.

ReputationRep:
    That was absolutely awful.

ReputationRep:
    James Blunt was the highlight of this song.

ReputationRep:
    The song doesnt matter its how much is raised the covers pretty poor sounds like Band aid 20 doing a crap version of the original

I completely disagree with releasing charity singles. You butcher someone else's meaningful work, or create your own trite song, and then make it almost immune from criticism because it's for "a good cause", so it doesn't matter how good it is.

Whatever happened to just donating on your own? It's not as if anyone doesn't know about Haiti now, and I don't need a very eclectic group of popstars to spur me into action.

As for the song, Simon Cowell probably didn't care about the meaning of the original, it just has a catchy name and sounds a little bit like they want to help.
    Couldn't have put it better myself :yep:

ReputationRep:
    oh god that is the most repugnant, cynical load of 'look at me, I care' ******** to ever be recorded by a bunch of brainless self-serving morons who couldn't find Haiti on a map last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Wrecked a good song, will not be buying.

It's a PR stunt for those involved.
    :ditto:
    tbh I wouldn't buy it even it was brilliant, simply because I'd rather give the money I'd pay for it to a small charity which has been overshadowed/hurt by the media's 24/7 bias towards haiti.

ReputationRep:
    Um, it's really bad.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

It's now had it's first air play on radio 1, thoughts of the song?

Certainly the best of the songs for Haiti I've heard and I don't think it's completely destroyed the original, even if it is Simon Cowell backed :erm:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8492058.stm
    I wish they had just re-released The Corrs incredible version of it. Screechy Leona Lewis to Andrea Corr. There is no competition.

ReputationRep:

Very true

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.