Turn on thread page Beta

I want to be famous so badly! watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd say early 20s is actually the WORST time to be famous. You lose your youth.

ReputationRep:
    Shoot Gordon brown. That'll get you famous.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't reached the pinnacle of success unless you're famous? :facepalm2:

Do you know who the current Lucasian Professor of Mathematics is? Do you know any of the Project Mangers in charge of the biggest Civil Engineering project in Europe currently, Crossrail, are? Most likely not.

Rethink your silly statement please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunchbox)
    Yeah... I shouldn't be so pessimistic. There is no turning back and no do-overs in life. I just have to get on with it, as they say. It's never too late.

Well the problem is I'm not 100% sure what I want to do yet! I still haven't found the one thing I am super passionate about. It's depressing...

I just feel like success and fame go hand in hand and I read a quote once that really hit me when I read it, which was "Success earned in your early 20's is worth so much more than success later in life." That's when you are at the peak of your youth ... it's not the same when you're 30 or 40.

Yes but once in a while people in their 30's or older do become well known.

Anyway why is it that you want to be famous? What is the reasoning behind it? Is it so you have a legacy to leave by, so that people might admire you for who you are and what you do?

ReputationRep:
    first thing i would suggest is that being famous is not everything..but doing our work is everything..indians usually have a famous saying that dont run for success..but run for perfection..success will then run for you..and this fact is very true in all terms..you should try to evaluate first what in the world is best for you..means what best you can do..and then do it with full heart..you will find a lot of enjoyment forgetting abt success...and one day you will find yourself damn famous in your field..at ur age.i was also running for fame..but soon i realized nothing is better than doing perfect work......it automatically brings the fame..

ReputationRep:
    SuBo didn't get famous until like a year ago.

And I'm the most famous member on TSR. :eviltongue:

ReputationRep:
    I want to be famous for my own merits! It really sucks that the only ways to become famous on such a large scale is to either be a movie/tv star, or a singer. They don't really contribute much to society (these celebrities) in the way writers and scientists do... but they're the ones that get all the attention.
    Have you ever heard of a guy called Einstein?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would hate to be famous.

I love being annonymous.

What's the attraction of being famous? I can see the attraction of being rich, though.

I just don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    Some people strive for fame and then when they become famous, it feels different to what you thought it would be.

People want to be famous, become famous and then don't want to be. Its Catch 22 in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone feel this way? I feel like it is the only thing truly worth working towards. That you have not reached the pinnacle of success if you aren't famous. Obviously there are various ways of getting there, and nowadays it doesn't take much to catapult a person to fame... but the fame I want and which I daydream about is to be famous for something I am proud of and worked hard to achieve.... sort of like Lady Gaga whom I practically worship. I wish I had the presence of mind and the desire at such a young age to pursue success & fame.... because I believe that given enough time and effort you can achieve everything. Now I am in my 20's I feel like it's a bit too late, and fame is not so fun when you are old as when you are young.
    forever young.... do you really wanna live forever... and ever..

ReputationRep:
    I want to be famous for my own merits! It really sucks that the only ways to become famous on such a large scale is to either be a movie/tv star, or a singer. They don't really contribute much to society (these celebrities) in the way writers and scientists do... but they're the ones that get all the attention.
    This from the girl who just said gaga was her idol?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone feel this way? I feel like it is the only thing truly worth working towards. That you have not reached the pinnacle of success if you aren't famous. Obviously there are various ways of getting there, and nowadays it doesn't take much to catapult a person to fame... but the fame I want and which I daydream about is to be famous for something I am proud of and worked hard to achieve.... sort of like Lady Gaga whom I practically worship. I wish I had the presence of mind and the desire at such a young age to pursue success & fame.... because I believe that given enough time and effort you can achieve everything. Now I am in my 20's I feel like it's a bit too late, and fame is not so fun when you are old as when you are young.
    No, most certainly not. I'd rather be completely anonymous to the majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    I pity people like this. So set on becomming something surrounded in fakery and scrutiny, there is nothing attractive about that lifestyle, any suggestion to the contrary is just to make you buy into it even more and support that culture.

People following you in the most private moments of your life and taking photos, not being able to trust why people want to get to know you, loads of reasons. I think it's a real shame so many young people think this is the only way to be successful in life.
    Well as with most things, fame is a double edged sword. It can seriously screw with your life but I imagine it must be the most intoxicating feeling of power and influence. I do genuinely feel like nothing equals that. It's like the biggest"f- you" to every person who has ever crossed you. "Success is the best revenge" as they say. And what better way than fame to broadcast your success in a huge way to everyone who ever doubted you on your road to fame....

What appeals to me about Gaga is that she had this obsessional fixation on becoming famous and successful, and she worked her ass off for that. Most girls her age are not that focussed. She chased and fought for all her success. So to me I can't imagine why anyone would laugh at me for liking her. Even if you don't appreciate her appearance or her music, you gotta admire her chutzpah... she has drive and ambition and dared to dream really big.

ReputationRep:
    sex tape

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to break it to you:

You're gonna live a average life and die an average person.

ReputationRep:
    Famous for what?

Reaching the pinnacle of success is surely an aspiration that's specific - I'd understand if you want to be famous for a particular skill of yours, but becoming famous for the sake of being famous is not at all desirable to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    You worship Lady Gaga? :eyebrow:
    She's not really a decent role model and people will forget about her anyway.

So let's summarise - you want to be famous but you have no idea what you want to do with your life and you haven't found the one thing you're super passionate about - sorry, but it's not gonna work.

Oh, and one more thing:

What a bunch of crap - you're so wrong
    See, when I hear people say stuff like that I can't help but see it from Gaga's point of view. I identify more with her than the lowly folks who disparage her behind their computer screens. She's daring and determined and doesn't care what other people think about her. It takes guts to wear those crazy outfits of hers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieArun)
    Sorry to break it to you:

You're gonna live a average life and die an average person.
    Wow, and you know this because you are God?

I'm the only person who decides my destiny, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    If you have some sort of worthwhile talent then go for it. If you're just a wag wannabe then please evacuate the planet.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I don't really think she "worked hard". I just think there was a niche in the music industry for her wackiness, which gave her an additional unique selling point hence, her rise to fame. Fame does also have its down sides though! stick with what you've got, but work hard at the same time. The sky's your limit!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.