Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cambelt problem watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi guys umm i got a ford telstar 1995. i bought it a month ago from my landlord... she told me that she has no history of it whatsoever.. but she sold me the car for a very cheap price and if i resold i wouldve gotten profit. but i needed a car and this car is just great.. it runs smooth and its going great. i called ford's dealer to try and find out when the last time the cambelt was changed but they all told e they have no records of it.. i looked under the hood and didn't find a sticker or anything that says the cambelt has been changed.
    i called a mechanic and asked them for a quote and they told me its gonna cost a 1000$ (new zealand dollars)!!!! to change the cambelt and the water pump. first of all i don't trust mechanics and this is my first car so i don't really know a mechanic i can trust. but i bought this car for 1500$ NZ and can resell it for about 2200$ but i like the car and i just want to change the cambelt before it snaps. the car has done 219000... i have no idea when or if the cambelt has ever been changed. My question is: why would i need to change the water pump? (mechanic told me its better to change the water pump) and why is it so damn expensive to change a cambelt... i thought it was cheap and it would only be expensive if it snaps.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why the pump would need replacing. Certainly not normally done when changing a cambelt, but it could be something model specific when you get to that sort of mileage. As for cost..... might be about right...... in the UK its about £300 to change.

If your prepared to risk it then the cam belt might be fine for another many many miles. If you can flog it for a profit why not do that and buy something lower mileage or which you know the history of?

ReputationRep:
    From the Uk the price of a cambelt change can vary. For instance on a Fiat Coupe it can cost upwards from £700. It costs such a high price depending on accessibility to the tensioners. Some cars, it is hard to access, thus requiring further dismantling which results in more labour. It is worth getting done, dont do it unless you know what youre doing, if the cambelt snaps whilst the enginie is in rev, the engine will be screwed for want of a better expression. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I HEART KFC!!!)
    My question is: why would i need to change the water pump? (mechanic told me its better to change the water pump) and why is it so damn expensive to change a cambelt... i thought it was cheap and it would only be expensive if it snaps.
    See bottom paragraph by me.

(Original post by Riderz)
    Not sure why the pump would need replacing. Certainly not normally done when changing a cambelt, but it could be something model specific when you get to that sort of mileage. As for cost..... might be about right...... in the UK its about £300 to change.

If your prepared to risk it then the cam belt might be fine for another many many miles. If you can flog it for a profit why not do that and buy something lower mileage or which you know the history of?
    Many models for example advise the timing belt should be replaced at 72k along with the water pump and tensioners.

The water pump often leaks onto the belt, seeing as its driven by the belt causing it to fracture and break. The tensioner can also mean the cambelt will skip causing it to jump and thread the teeth causing untold damage to valves.

In most cases, it's advisable to get all 3 done at the same time as it saves significant cost and leaves no anxiety on whether it may go.

Peugeot for example now have a policy, especially on the 306 XU engine that a tensioner and waterpump along with the cambelt should be changed every 40k.

The significant cost lies in the labour figure in taking the head off to fit the cambelt. Effing it up, which can be done easily if you don't seriously know what you're doing could mean it being a notch or two out again causing irreparable damage to the head, which significantly costs.

Moral of the story: Get it changed. And ask about the tensioners as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there fellow kiwi bro,

Firstly if the car has been regularly serviced it’s likely to have had its cam belt changed at 200,000km. You know with the price quoted on replacing it and value of the car I’d just say sweet as and just take the risk that it might snap and shag the engine.

Get another quote (shop around a bit to get the beast deal) and just say you want the cam belt changed, oil/filter changed and timing checked (they all sort of fit together in servicing). Labour is a much bigger part of the cost than the actual parts so if you have a mate who can twirl spanners it might be worth asking, it’ll cost you less than NZ$200 (including a box or two of beers :yep:).

Changing a cam belt isn’t that hard and is a skill that is worth learning, you’ll save a load in the long term servicing your own car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippopothomas)
    Hey there fellow kiwi bro,

Firstly if the car has been regularly serviced it’s likely to have had its cam belt changed at 200,000km. You know with the price quoted on replacing it and value of the car I’d just say sweet as and just take the risk that it might snap and shag the engine.

Get another quote (shop around a bit to get the beast deal) and just say you want the cam belt changed, oil/filter changed and timing checked (they all sort of fit together in servicing). Labour is a much bigger part of the cost than the actual parts so if you have a mate who can twirl spanners it might be worth asking, it’ll cost you less than NZ$200 (including a box or two of beers :yep:).

Changing a cam belt isn’t that hard and is a skill that is worth learning, you’ll save a load in the long term servicing your own car.
    hey there... thanks a lot for the advice.. i'll see what i can do

ReputationRep:
    Some older Fords power the water pump off the cam belt, that's why it needs replacing. You might as well replace it while its off, considering they're not the most expensive thing ever and I think they can cause a lot of damage if they break on these vehicles.

Oh and the tensioners was bloody good advice!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.