Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Indonesia is a muslim country and the police are upholding Islamic law. I don't see what the problem is.
    It used to be a Buddhist/Hindu country, then Islam arrived and over time it has displaced the other religions and it's spread wasn't a peaceful one.

Within the last 20 years, the spread of Islam in majority Christian's Eastern areas (e.g. the Moluccas) has made Christians a minority for the first time.

In the last 5 years, Islam there has become more hard-line/orthodox, (if anyone watched the program about the Tsunami the other night, the Islamists said that was a punishment from God and have used it as an excuse to introduce stricter Islam.

Between Christians/Muslims there has been much bloodshed, for example, from the Christian side:

They also have a thriving Al-Qaeda and Islamist terror network which police are struggling to cope with.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5AI1IV20091119

Great isn't it! I'm so happy that we welcome Islam here in Britain with open arms and allow it to flourish!! Got to love the "enrichment."

(Original post by Diaz89)
    Aceh is an autonomous region. They chose to be governed by Sharia law.
    Oh really? Why do they need Sharia police to enforce it if everyone there is happy to follow it?

I suspect that you actually mean that a majority of people in Aceh want it, but democracy cannot legitimise human rights abuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    He still used religion to justify his actions. I don't see one "divinely chosen" person as being more legitimate than another when they do similar things, really.
    Firstly, there is no 'divine chosen' person in the video in the first post. The last divine person (Prophet) in Islam was Muhammed (saw) and he hasn't been here for 1400 years. Secondly, the Indonesians are upholding the law set out in the Qu'ran and Sunnah. I assume you are a Christian so I don't see how you can't understand this when Jesus (pbuh) instructed his followers to uphold God's law. If you were an atheist this would be another matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    If you don't understand analogical reasoning, it's probably best not to respond to posts using it. The specific policies of Naziism are irrelevant, the statement merely demonstrates that it is fallacious to claim that an action is inherently legitimate because it takes place under the colour of law, be that Nazi law, Apartheid, Jim Crow, or Sharia.

That being said, to be perfectly honest, I don't see a problem comparing Naziism to Sharia. Not the Holocaust, but Naziism as an ideology is disturbingly similar. They're both authoritarian, they both involve thought crime, they both force anyone living under them to conform to the ideology or suffer horrific penalties, and they both involve a "higher" people (be it Aryans or Muslims).
    Don't forget the large-scale persecution and hatred towards Jews and homosexuals that both the Nazism and Islam share!
    There's a reason why Mein Kampf is a best-selling book in many Islamic countries you know!

ReputationRep:
    All these arrogant comments.....

Why do you even feel the need to comment on what other countries are doing? It's their country and they can do whatever they want and nothing you ever say will change it.

I for one support the Sharia police, they are upholding Islamic laws. Hold your heads high and continue your job Sharia police!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    It used to be a Buddhist/Hindu country, then Islam arrived and over time it has displaced the other religions and it's spread wasn't a peaceful one.
    Islam is thought to have first been adopted by peoples of the Indonesian archipelago sometime during the eleventh century, although Muslims had visited the archipelago early in the Muslim era. By the end of the 16th century, Islam, through conversion, had surpassed Hinduism and Buddhism as the dominant religion of the peoples of Java and Sumatra. At this time, only Bali retained a Hindu-practising majority, and the eastern islands remained largely animist but would adopt Islam and Christianity in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_spr...m_in_Indonesia

Fail.

Within the last 20 years, the spread of Islam in majority Christian's Eastern areas (e.g. the Moluccas) has made Christians a minority for the first time.
    I don't see what the problem is.

In the last 5 years, Islam there has become more hard-line/orthodox, (if anyone watched the program about the Tsunami the other night, the Islamists said that was a punishment from God and have used it as an excuse to introduce stricter Islam.
    It hasn't really. Only in Aceh which is a autonomous area.

However overall more people have been killed by the Muslim side. An example is the beheading of 3 teenage Christian girls a few years back:
    3 and a picture of a beheaded girl ..... yes

They also have a thriving Al-Qaeda and Islamist terror network which police are struggling to cope with.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5AI1IV20091119
    The government should address social issues.

ReputationRep:
    Both involve people doing bad things under the colour of law. The magnitude of the bad things is different (although only if you look at it collectively, as opposed to the individual concentration camp guard or sharia police officer on the ground), but the principle is exactly the same. Two situations do not have to be absolutely identical to be used in analogy; I seriously suggest you read and reread this if you decide to reply, because you're kinda embarrassing yourself.
    I never commented on whether or not Nazism and Sharia(h) Law are identical. I'm saying you can't neglect the things that make them different. There are more things that make them different than the number of issues which them similar. Because of this, your analogy fails.

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofellatio

You get it?

snmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? Why do they need Sharia police to enforce it if everyone there is happy to follow it?
    Are you serious?. Ok, applying your logic why do we need police here if everyone is happy with the law?

I suspect that you actually mean that a majority of people in Aceh want it, but democracy cannot legitimise human rights abuses.
    What you consider as human rights abuses, evidently they don't.

Are you serious?. Ok, applying your logic why do we need police here if everyone is happy with the law?
    Everyone isn't happy with the law, as seen by the fact that we have police. That was my point. If you need to force someone to follow Sharia, clearly they haven't chosen to be governed by Sharia.

What you consider as human rights abuses, evidently they don't.
    There are murderers out there who don't believe they're doing anything wrong when they kill; should they be allowed to do so on that basis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Indonesia is a muslim country and the police are upholding Islamic law. I don't see what the problem is.
    You are so right. Germany in the 1940s was a nazi country, and the police were only upholding the law.

Thanks for clearing this up for me. You are totally right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    Erm yes it was. Its a well known fact Indonesians became Muslims optionally.

"The spread of Islam was driven by increasing trade links outside of the archipelago; in general, traders and the royalty of major kingdoms were the first to adopt the new religion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_spr...m_in_Indonesia

YOU LOSE

ReputationRep:
    Nazi Germany was a Nazi country and the concentration camp guards were upholding Nazi law. I don't see what the problem was.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone isn't happy with the law, as seen by the fact that we have police. That was my point.
    Well then you answered your own question. People break the law the police comes in.... it's very simple.

There are murderers out there who don't believe they're doing anything wrong when they kill; should they be allowed to do so on that basis?
    Again it's incredibly moronic to compare these people to Nazis and Murderers. They're completely different phenomena.

ReputationRep:
    Nanananana...Sharia Police!

Well then you answered your own question. People break the law the police comes in.... it's very simple.
    If you need police to force someone to follow Sharia, you cannot reasonably claim that they chose to be governed by Sharia, because if they chose to be governed by Sharia they would follow it without morality police breathing down their necks. I'm not sure how I can make this simpler.

Again it's incredibly moronic to compare these people to Nazis and Murderers. They're completely different phenomena.
    Congratulations, you're the third person in this thread who has proven that they completely lack any understanding of analogy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Firstly, there is no 'divine chosen' person in the video in the first post. The last divine person (Prophet) in Islam was Muhammed (saw) and he hasn't been here for 1400 years. Secondly, the Indonesians are upholding the law set out in the Qu'ran and Sunnah. I assume you are a Christian so I don't see how you can't understand this when Jesus (pbuh) instructed his followers to uphold God's law. If you were an atheist this would be another matter.
    The people on the video are upholding a "divine law" put in place by a person supposedly chosen by God. The guards in the concentration camp mentioned earlier were upholding a law also put in place by someone supposedly chosen by God. The 1400 year time difference really doesn't matter.

But in any case, I don't think even Sharia Law states that men and women aren't allowed to sit next to each other so the people in that video are crazy from any perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9a3iqa)
    Why do you even feel the need to comment on what other countries are doing? It's their country and they can do whatever they want and nothing you ever say will change it.
    And yet i assume you rant and rave about Palestine? What a stupid argument, injustice and unfairness happens overseas, therefore we can't have an opinion? ******* moron.

I for one support the Sharia police, they are upholding Islamic laws. Hold your heads high and continue your job Sharia police!
    Go live there then.

ReputationRep:
    If you need police to force someone to follow Sharia, you cannot reasonably claim that they chose to be governed by Sharia, because if they chose to be governed by Sharia they would follow it without morality police breathing down their necks. I'm not sure how I can make this simpler.
    You need the police to enforce any kind of law. With every society you'll get those who break it and need to be reprimanded. I really don't see what you argument is.

Congratulations, you're the third person in this thread who has proven that they completely lack any understanding of analogy.
    Not really, your analogies are woefully ignorant that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    And yet i assume you rant and rave about Palestine? What a stupid argument, injustice and unfairness happens overseas, therefore we can't have an opinion? ******* moron.

The problem with your deluded argument is that in Palestine people are oppressed by foreign invaders. Upholding the laws of your country and religion is justice, something you have no knowledge of. The problem with your type is they seem to think that their silly understanding of life is the ultimate definition of justice.

Go live there then.

I will live here just to annoy you, also I will take your jobs and make you pay taxes for my health and well being. Happy now?

ReputationRep:
    The people on the video are upholding a "divine law" put in place by a person supposedly chosen by God. The guards in the concentration camp mentioned earlier were upholding a law also put in place by someone supposedly chosen by God. The 1400 year time difference really doesn't matter.
    Every police/guard takes his orders from somewhere. The police in the UK uphold the law set by parliament. From what I see, the police in Indonesia are upholding the law set by God which is better than upholding man-made laws created by some guys in Jakarta.

But in any case, I don't think even Sharia Law states that men and women aren't allowed to sit next to each other so the people in that video are crazy from any perspective.
    Mixing between the sexes is forbidden in Islam, especially when there is no beneficial reason for doing it.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.