Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Unlike the vast majority of Muslim countries, the West does not subjugate women through measures such as legalised martial rape, as we see within Afghanistan for example.
    Marital rape only became Illegal in this country in 1991.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    :eek: That is shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Are you stupid or selectively ignoring the point I am trying to make? I gave that as a hypothetical situation, you claimed for some strange reason that people couldn't hold opinions about other countries.

Seeing as you brought it up..In Saudi Christianity is actually banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christi...n_Saudi_Arabia

So what, I said the Muslim world, which consists of more than 50 countries! You go and bring Saudi Arabia as proof that christianity is banned?

It happend in Christianity as well...Christianity fell and then grew again in the late 19th century, before falling again

Doesn't mean it will happen with Islam. After all there is a difference between Islam and christianity. You claim "modernism" will bring about athiesm. However the problem with your argument is you don't need to be athiest to invent or use technology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    My point is that Aceh, like any state, is not a homogenous group-think where everyone holds the same opinion, so to talk about "their" customs and laws is disingenuous and creates a false portrayal of a consensual society when the very fact that they need enforcers on the ground proves otherwise. Western liberalism largely avoids this problem through reasonable pluralism, but because Sharia is so authoritarian, it practically proves itself that it cannot be consensually applied to all in the fact that it prescribes punishments for transgressors. I'm perfectly happy to see a strict Muslim live as a strict Muslim, I simply oppose a strict Muslim forcing others to live his lifestyle because he has more strict Muslim neighbours than not.
    i dislike the fact that my Uni fees will shoot up because people vote conservative or labour. Yet as I am aware we live in a democratic country. Democracy in theory pleases the majority of the electorate but there is going to be a minority that despises the legislation imposed on them so therefore i reject that argument. Also if they are getting told off for sitting next to members of the opposite sex im pretty sure that means there aren't many children born into broken families suffering as a result.

My point is overall, just because these things seem harsh from our perspective, does not mean that they are wrong. We are not the benchmark for international society.

(Original post by az1992)
    FAIL

You are attempting to umbrella Islam based on its middle eastern interpretation. You will find many other muslim countries do not follow this very hard line interpretation of islam.

Also to note, Islam is 1400 years old. When christianity was at that age we went around the world forcing native peoples to convert to our religion or we slaughtered them for heresy. We were the divine and one true religion just as some Muslims feel they are today.

We also burnt "witches" and spent centuries executing those that produced scientific explanations for the world. Tell me that by todays standards this is civilized?

You will also find that every religion from the jews (chosen ones) to the christians to the muslims think that they are superior to other religions. just some hard line muslim militants choose to distort their own gods message.

One final correction as well, I am led to believe that Hitler was a Christian and im sure your aware that he killed 6 million people of jewish
    faith. When Al Queda and friends have reached those atrocious figures then start comparing Islam to Nazism!
    Why do defenders of Islam's excesses always feel the need to bring up Christianity? Not only does it feel a bit like "LOOK! LOOK! SOMEONE ELSE DID SOMETHING BAD! EVERYONE LOOK AT THEM AND IGNORE US!", but it makes the massive assumption that because I oppose fundamentalist Islam I must support Christianity, which is completely untrue and illogical. This isn't a competition over who has the most oppressive religion.

ReputationRep:
    Is that an admissions of its inherent repugnance? At any rate, it is an admission of the fact that the much of the Islamic world is at least nineteen years behind.

ReputationRep:
    Why does God allow me to live yet I break pretty much every rule in the Qu'ran. Maybe he doesn't exist? :teehee:
    Because one day you will return to Him and then He will exact his judgment upon you. Till then there is still chance for you to fix your ways.

ReputationRep:
    Is that an admissions of its inherent repugnance? At any rate, it is an admission of the fact that the much of the Islamic world is at least nineteen years behind.
    Not bad for a country that's one of the poorest in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkinstall)
    :eek: That is shocking.
    It is, cultural evolution...the very thing you oppose in Indonesia meant that it could occur. Remember at one time Britain was very similar to Indonesia, one day Indonesians will outlaw it.

(Original post by Lou Reed)
    X
    Thanks buddy :top: Remind me to rep back tommorow :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az1992)
    We are not the benchmark for international society.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9a3iqa)
    :rofl:

Excellent again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Because one day you will return to Him and then He will exact his judgment upon you. Till then there is still chance for you to fix your ways.
    No thanks. I would rather be in hell with the sinners :ahee:

ReputationRep:

Excellent again.
    lol I did reply to him, the bold paragraphs are my reply to his posts.

ReputationRep:
    Quote what I said you moron or I am not responding, stop posting your responses into my original post...I am not going to trawl back through pages in order to respond to a closed-minded, bigoted fool like yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Unlike the vast majority of Muslim countries, the West does not subjugate women through measures such as legalised martial rape, as we see within Afghanistan for example. Rather it provides freedom for them, with which they are able to do what they like.
    In the UK marital rape was made illegal less than 20 years ago and just so you no, it may be illegal but to actually get a conviction again someone who commits marital rape is exceedingly hard due to al the legal barriers put in place. Freedom? Glass ceiling? You perceive high levels of anorexia and young girls aspiring to do nothing with their lives as freedom. Anorexia is not culture bound but the hatred of self - image is a western phenomenon, as is the idealising of celebrity - that's not freedom in any way shape of form and people are so obsessed with thinking that their way of living is the only acceptable way that they fail to see the flaws within their society. Why not fix them before pointing the finger??

ReputationRep:
    lol I did reply to him, the bold paragraphs are my reply to his posts.
    I know, I wanted to say the exact thing about the 50 countries :p:

ReputationRep:

Excellent again.
    I have worked out that you are one of the world's cleverest internet trolls, I can't believe I have actually allowed myself to get annoyed by you. Fair play to you though, I haven't half wasted my time responding to what you have to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    I never said that British laws are oppressive. If anything they are very liberal on a lot of issues (criminals, drugs, etc). The point is Sharia law is perfect as the laws are made by God hence there zero chance for them to be wrong as God does not make mistakes.
    If Sharia was a perfect God-mandated set of laws, then he wouldn't be entrusting something as imperfect as humanity to be interpreting and enforcing it.

If there wasn't as much casual mixing between the sexes as there is currently in the UK, social problems such as teenage preganancies, STDs, number of abortions etc. would reduce. Once you have free mixing with alcohol then the problem just gets worse so you can see why Islam prohibits both of these things.
    Those problems are caused by sexual attitudes, which are a result of a general lack of religion in the UK, not by the simple legality of men and women being able to come within 20 feet of each other.

ReputationRep:
    I have worked out that you are one of the world's cleverest internet trolls, I can't believe I have actually allowed myself to get annoyed by you. Fair play to you though, I haven't half wasted my time responding to what you have to say.
    :nopity:

now please

:vroam:

before you're subjected to further ownage (deliberate misspell)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Hitler didn't invade Europe and perform the holocaust because he thought God told him to do it. His view of the world was based on race so I don't see what he has to do with this thread.

So if God had told him to do it it would have been fine?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.