Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Quote what I said you moron or I am not responding, stop posting your responses into my original post...I am not going to trawl back through pages in order to respond to a closed-minded, bigoted fool like yourself.

Translated as "I will now run away because I have been beaten down through pure logic and truth"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Those problems are caused by sexual attitudes, which are a result of a general lack of religion in the UK, not by the simple legality of men and women being able to come within 20 feet of each other.
    Well, the latter certainly stops the problem :rolleyes:

Its all about priorities. Here, our priorities may include getting a better future for ourselves whilst having fun in the present. There, the priorities are to continue living by a set of rules.

Yes, they're old rules, and no they may not be right rules - but that's all a matter of opinion. The passing of time isn't an excuse to make rules more and more slack - the loss of those rules are just influence from our western culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Why do defenders of Islam's excesses always feel the need to bring up Christianity? Not only does it feel a bit like "LOOK! LOOK! SOMEONE ELSE DID SOMETHING BAD! EVERYONE LOOK AT THEM AND IGNORE US!", but it makes the massive assumption that because I oppose fundamentalist Islam I must support Christianity, which is completely untrue and illogical. This isn't a competition over who has the most oppressive religion.
    Unless Muslim fundamentalists killed a relative or friend of yours in the ONE attack on this country, I see no reason for you and others to carry an Internet crusade against them.

If you are aware of Christianities oppressive and violent past then why do you feel it necessary to focus all your efforts on opposing ONLY islam.

I am not a defender of islam nor a muslim. You are succumbing to hypocrisy there as you pour scorn on my assumptions that you are a christian yet you assume I am a muslim?

Indeed it is not a competition so step down from your all knowing seat of whats right and wrong and cease to merely criticize islam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Not bad for a country that's one of the poorest in the world.
    Of course, this is only one issue of many; including the reprehensible fact that girls as young as ten are married, completely against their will, to aging men. In my humble opinion, that is absolutely disgusting and the reality is that many of these girls also feel similarly, so much so that instead of facing years of abuse, they would rather douse themselves in petrol and suffer horrendous burns.

ReputationRep:
    If Sharia was a perfect God-mandated set of laws, then he wouldn't be entrusting something as imperfect as humanity to be interpreting and enforcing it.
    God entrusted manking to implement his laws throughout history. He instructed Moses (pbuh) and the Children of Israel to implement the laws of the Torah; and he instructed Jesus (pbuh) and the Christians to implement the law of the Bible. These laws are sent down through Prophets and enforced through the hands of men. This is a clear instruction to the Muslims in the Qu'ran and hadiths. What would you God rather do? Come down himself to do it?

Those problems are caused by sexual attitudes, which are a result of a general lack of religion in the UK, not by the simple legality of men and women being able to come within 20 feet of each other.
    Men and women will always lust after one another. This is part of our biology. Prohibiting unneccessary mixing and banning alcohol goes a long way in preventing this as it prevents the avenues to these problems. If you look at pre-Islamic Arabia, the similarities between the culture then and the culture now in the world is astonishing. Yet these laws managed to prevent all these vices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Of course, this is only one issue of many; including the reprehensible fact that girls as young as ten are married, completely against their will, to aging men. In my humble opinion, that is absolutely disgusting and the reality is that many of these girls also feel similarly, so much so that instead of facing years of abuse, they would rather douse themselves in petrol and suffer horrendous burns.
    Many little girls are molested, trafficked and raped in this country? Bad things happen everywhere. In their societies people get married at that age due to several factors, societal,environmental etc. It's ignorant to focus only on the negative side of a society and then superimpose it. This can be likewise done here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R91)
    In the UK marital rape was made illegal less than 20 years ago and just so you no, it may be illegal but to actually get a conviction again someone who commits marital rape is exceedingly hard due to al the legal barriers put in place. Freedom? Glass ceiling? You perceive high levels of anorexia and young girls aspiring to do nothing with their lives as freedom. Anorexia is not culture bound but the hatred of self - image is a western phenomenon, as is the idealising of celebrity - that's not freedom in any way shape of form and people are so obsessed with thinking that their way of living is the only acceptable way that they fail to see the flaws within their society. Why not fix them before pointing the finger??
    I expressed no belief in the utter utopia of Western society that you suggest I maintain, rather I am simply saying that conditions such as Anorexia and an interest in celebrity do not rival forcing women to wear head-covering sacks, forcing them to marry aged men, denying them an education, in terms of depravity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    So if God had told him to do it it would have been fine?
    Pointless question. Last time I checked Hitler wasn't a Prophet nor did he claim to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    shame you don't apply that "pure logic and thought" to your religious views, eh.
    What's wrong with following the religion one finds most appealing and believes in? You may believe in secularism, but I believe in God and the sacredness and sanctity of His laws. I also believe that only by following them can we truly die at rest.

You believe you will die and not be judged. Good for you. But don't be surprised when you have to explain to God why you did not believe in Him when he created you, fed you, clothed you and did countless other blessings for you.

ReputationRep:
    It's sad when they move into small non-Muslim villages, they break up friends in groups, make the girls dress "properly", tell them foreigners are bad etc.

Luckily I was born in a free country.

(Original post by 9a3iqa)
    What's wrong with following the religion one finds most appealing and believes in?
    That's not how beliefs are made, it's not possible to believe something for no good reason and realize that's what you are doing. Simply wanting something to be true will never be a reason to actually believe it exists, you can hope, but if you understand that, you'll never believe.

(Original post by az1992)
    Unless Muslim fundamentalists killed a relative or friend of yours in the ONE attack on this country, I see no reason for you and others to carry an Internet crusade against them.
    My empathy doesn't cease to function at the UK's borders.

If you are aware of Christianities oppressive and violent past then why do you feel it necessary to focus all your efforts on opposing ONLY islam.
    Well, at a guess, because this is a thread about Aceh enforcing Islam, not a historical state enforcing Christianity. It also seems sensible to me to prioritise oppression happening now, since there is at leas the potential for change, whereas the past is immutable.

I am not a defender of islam nor a muslim. You are succumbing to hypocrisy there as you pour scorn on my assumptions that you are a christian yet you assume I am a muslim?
    When did I claim you were a Muslim? You've been posting defences of Sharia throughout the thread. Hell, this post is a defence of Islam, given that you claimed I have no right to criticise it unless it's directly affected me.

Indeed it is not a competition so step down from your all knowing seat of whats right and wrong and cease to merely criticize islam?
    ...why would I criticise anything but Islam in a thread specifically about Islam? You're seriously reaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Many little girls are molested, trafficked and raped in this country? Bad things happen everywhere. In their societies people get married at that age due to several factors, societal,environmental etc. It's ignorant to focus only on the negative side of a society and then superimpose it. This can be likewise done here.
    Not on such a scale. What you refer to represents a very minute portion of Western society, whilst I refer to matters that are embeded into the very fabric of Afghani culture and exist not as evils but as accepted norms.

ReputationRep:
    Enough with the superiority already! Now your rambling on about any CULTURE bound phenomenon you can attribute to a religion your clearly to ignorant to understand. I say that as people who spend their time slandering on the internet are never really right – nor are they aware of anything but the bias media fed to them by their respective countries. How would you know how those girls feel? Have you spoken to any of them? I have, as well as western girls who have been abused or raped or attacked, or had their drink spiked. Going on and on about how your culture is better doesn’t make it any better – all cultures are flawed. Accept it, try and fix it, create a movement, do something that’s NOT SPOUTING OFF IGNORANT COMMENTS.

ReputationRep:
    Not on such a scale. What you refer to represents a very minute portion of Western society, whilst I refer to matters that are embeded into the very fabric of Afghani culture and exist not as evils but as accepted norms.
    Minute? the West dominates in terms of trafficking,molestation and rape. Secondly it's a highly ignorant generalization to suggest that it is within the culture of the Afghan people to marry off their 10 year old daughters to "aging men" without their will. It may occur in the rural villages on a minute scale usually determined by societal and financial factors but this certainly isn't something ingrained as you suggest.

ReputationRep:
    In which case who are you to say they are wrong?

I personally find them disgusting - but all I have to reason with is my own views, my own beliefs. Who am I to tell the world that I am right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Pointless question. Last time I checked Hitler wasn't a Prophet nor did he claim to be.
    I think you failed to read ' if ' near the start of what I wrote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    No thanks. I would rather be in hell with the sinners :ahee:
    Its not a funhouse. It is called Hell not heaven minus colour.

ReputationRep:
    Shari Police
    Ensuring that no one has any fun. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R91)
    How would you know how those girls feel? Have you spoken to any of them? I have, as well as western girls who have been abused or raped or attacked, or had their drink spiked.
    Please elaborate on you dealings with marital-burns suffers in Islamic countries and also of your meetings with Western rape victims. Do go on.

ReputationRep:
    "were sitting too close to one another":mmm:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.