Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My daughter wants to do Pharmacy or Bio medical Science Degree but she may not get higher than C with the Double Science Award...Do Resits get scrutinised by Uni later on? Advise

And where are the best courses

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard, A Levels matter more.

ReputationRep:
    If she gets above C for the main GCSE's and hits As across A-level it shouldn't matter.
    She will be disadvantaged against students who get better GCSE's as universities use GCSE's, AS/Predictions to determine whether you're likely to hit the grade. In which case it may be wiser to take a gap year, apply on that year when she has her certified grades so universities know she meets the academic requirement.

It won't block her route, but she'll need to be prudent as to how she applies.

However, if she doesn't get a C at GCSE science i highly doubt any college/6th form will let her take the science A levels needed for biomed/pharmacy at under grad.

Why does she think she won't get above a C? Exams are ages away..

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to revise from the revision book.

That's all I've used for GCSE science double award and I've got AA :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    If she gets above C for the main GCSE's and hits As across A-level it shouldn't matter.
    She will be disadvantaged against students who get better GCSE's as universities use GCSE's, AS/Predictions to determine whether you're likely to hit the grade. In which case it may be wiser to take a gap year, apply on that year when she has her certified grades so universities know she meets the academic requirement.

It won't block her route, but she'll need to be prudent as to how she applies.

However, if she doesn't get a C at GCSE science i highly doubt any college/6th form will let her take the science A levels needed for biomed/pharmacy at under grad.

Why does she think she won't get above a C? Exams are ages away..
    Perhaps she's being put into the foundation group. But if she really wants to study science and feels passionate, she could always get extra lessons and help and talk to the teacher about giving her a shot in the higher tier.

ReputationRep:
    If a couse has GCSE minumum req. it would say on UCAS. Doing well in A-levels is more important.

At UEA they only want GCSE English and Maths at grade C. She will be fine

ReputationRep:
    I never got English & Maths at a grade C when I left school come to think of it the highest grade I got was a C the rest were all D's & E's. It just simply meant that I had to retake Maths and English in college.

ReputationRep:
    ive been held back by my shizz GCSE grades, some of the unis i really wanted to apply to wanted B in maths and i got a C and D in english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just say hello)
    ive been held back by my shizz GCSE grades, some of the unis i really wanted to apply to wanted B in maths and i got a C and D in english
    Wouldn't they let you retake them again in college?

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's are irrelevant to universities, as long as they can get to a good school and get good A-Levels that will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splodger)
    Wouldn't they let you retake them again in college?
    im retaking english but i am soooo bad at it il probs get another D, and i have very little motivation for GCSEs which never helps
    i just dont understand english lol, all the other subjects you get the marks for specific things such as getting the correct answer in maths, unlike english the examiner can just pick and choose how many marks someone gets.

ReputationRep:
    GSCE's are useless in their own right, but I think they're more of a stepping stone for benefits later in the future. If you do well in GCSE English, it (pressumably) better prepares you to do well in your A-Levels, then you'll have better developed skills for University, then a (again, pressumably) decent job. Mine have not mattered in a long time, since I'm near the end of University now.

ReputationRep:
    ujk;jl,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just say hello)
    im retaking english but i am soooo bad at it il probs get another D, and i have very little motivation for GCSEs which never helps
    i just dont understand english lol, all the other subjects you get the marks for specific things such as getting the correct answer in maths, unlike english the examiner can just pick and choose how many marks someone gets.
    My best friend was exactly like you, and got an E, and then a G on the resit of English GCSE.

He's taken a City and Guilds English certificate which is equivalent to GCSE, and it's just a case of showing you can use English properly, rather than just analysing poetry and things like that. If you feel bad about it, I'd recommend going to see someone about that.

ReputationRep:
    My friend failed to get into 4 medical schools because of his G.C.S.E grades, and he even got 8A* i think. So it can hold you back, but that is only if you are applying for a competitive course.

Yaaaaay 200th post :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mint Tea)
    My daughter wants to do Pharmacy or Bio medical Science Degree but she may not get higher than C with the Double Science Award...Do Resits get scrutinised by Uni later on? Advise

No, crap GCSE results didnt hold me back.

Oh wait, thats because im not a mongo, and actually got off my arse and did some work....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mint Tea)

Resits wont get scrutinised

She should be okay with the c grade as long as she really puts in the effort at a level.

saying that, I got cccb at as level and managed to get offers from two top 10 unis for my course

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure she actually passes the sciences because some schools will not take A2 students without the necessary GCSE grade and ensure that she's aware that A2 gets much harder and if she wants to do well she'll need to study.
    I'd also advise maybe having extra help in Chemistry/Biology because lots of people who intend on studying Pharmacy/Biomedical Sciences will have studied Triple Science. Therefore they will have an extra grade and further experience with some topics. I'm sure she'll do fine as long as she doesn't let the work pile up and she stays motivated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.