Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Not really, if you dont want to listen to him..then you dont have to.
    Well its funny that every time he opens his mouth, it makes the BBC News. So if I somehow turn off all the TV's while he's visiting, I'l wait for him to continue bashing, who I am, and a hell of a lot of people in the UK are, without him having ANY IDEA about what he is talking about, then I'l wait for him to work efficiently at breaking down the only qualities that make living the UK worthwhile, then I'l switch me TV back on and I'l find myself living in somewhere like Iran. Fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Also, sign the petition in my sig if you don't want him to come...could really do with some more signatories tbh, seeing as there are only about 50...

And frankly to those saying "oh, but you believe in freedom of expression so why are you against religious people being able to receive a state-funded visit from the Pope"- what about those who DON'T want a state funded visit from him eh? I'm pretty sure the number of non-Catholics in this country outnumber the Catholics, and frankly if you want to go see some blithering idiot talk about out-dated views on things like homosexuality then you should find your own funding to go and see him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    Also, sign the petition in my sig if you don't want him to come...could really do with some more signatories tbh, seeing as there are only about 50....

There are 2,395 :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    "but the freedom you talk of is an attempt to infringe on other peoples freedom."

You don't have to listen to him infringe on your freedom, thats a nice freedom you have there
    You as in the collective people opposing this bill on the same grounds as the pope.

To simply close your ears to the people who are trying to hep make legislation to discriminate against people is foolish to say the least.
    It's like saying; "I'll just not listen to the BNP".
    In which case everyone who did this would not have a clue on who they are or what policies they have.
    Then if people start voting for them you won't have any debates against them.
    Somehow I doubt you feel the BNP growing in power would be a good thing, but applying your logic as such doesn't seem to be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    No.

Just like all Atheists aren't militant.
    HAHA IRONY. Your more militant than any atheist I have ever met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    You as in the collective people opposing this bill on the same grounds as the pope.

To simply close your ears to the people who are trying to hep make legislation to discriminate against people is foolish to say the least.
    It's like saying; "I'll just not listen to the BNP".
    In which case everyone who did this would not have a clue on who they are or what policies they have.
    Then if people start voting for them you won't have any debates against them.
    Somehow I doubt you feel the BNP growing in power would be a good thing, but applying your logic as such doesn't seem to be a good idea.

What are you talking about? This is about stopping our taxes being used to fund a papal visit. Not to stop the Pope from speaking.:confused:

Bearing in mind the RCC is one of the most wealthy organisations in the world, i'd say it's fair they pay their own expenses.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why he's going to England.

At least go to a country with a significant Catholic population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    There are 2,395 :confused:
    Lol well that's far more than there were yesterday when I signed it! sorry :blush:

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about? This is about stopping our taxes being used to fund a papal visit. Not to stop the Pope from speaking.:confused:

Bearing in mind the RCC is one of the most wealthy organisations in the world, i'd say it's fair they pay their own expenses.
    As far as I'm aware one of the main things he's planning on doing whilst over here is speaking out against laws regarding homosexuality and equality.
    Whilst I think he should be able to have his own opinion of course I am against the pope having political influence in such a way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Inviting foreign dignitaries to the country to show good will and foreign relations to the world? Goshh, shocking!

Hmm, actually..
    Showing good will. But, lol I thought good will is not in your nature, hence the Haiti discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    As far as I'm aware one of the main things he's planning on doing whilst over here is speaking out against laws regarding homosexuality and equality.
    Whilst I think he should be able to have his own opinion of course I am against the pope having political influence in such a way.

Why? His personal opinion is a political opinion, such is the position of his office. Regardless of how despicable and abhorrent his message is we have no right to stop him saying it. In the same way we should not be forced to pay for it.

ReputationRep:

I say "damn right" to that last bit. Plus I think the Catholics in Britain would probably all be able to stump up the money if they chipped in around £20 each- that'd give him around £20 million based on the approximate number of Catholics in Britain. If they want to see him so badly surely they can afford £20 each?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insperatum)
    Please join the following facebook group:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=281046424693

to raise awareness for the pope's £20million trip to the UK, coming out of taxpayers' money, which would be better spent on hard-pressed schools, hospitals and social services which are facing cuts.
    He's coming. Nothing anyone can do about it.

He is making the trip as a Head of State. Noone in this country would say "nope" to visits from foreign dignitaries (unless they are of the same ilk as Mahamoud Amadjinadhad).

Atheism really is militant nowadays. It is shameful. The Pope's visit will be a wonderful thing for the United Kingdom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    Are you serious, the only thing that spouts from his mouth, is hate, intolerance and religious doctrine. :cool:

Such as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    (unless they are of the same ilk as Mahamoud Amadjinadhad).

:curious: I would say Ratzinger is up there.

ReputationRep:
    £20million is 33p from everyone in the UK, I'd hardly make a group on Facebook about it.

ReputationRep:
    Stop bashing Catholics! No one is forced into being a Catholic, and those baptized as children have the freedom not to practice their faith when they come to an age at which they can choose for themselves (as have many of my friends). The pope has as much right as anyone to express his opinion, and as all diplomatic visitors, have their trip paid for in expenses. I do not agree with everything the Catholic Church teaches, but how can you be so openly against a faith that's main aim is to encourage indiscriminate love between people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    Also, sign the petition in my sig if you don't want him to come...could really do with some more signatories tbh, seeing as there are only about 50...

I'm pretty sure the number of non-Catholics in this country outnumber the Catholics,

some blithering idiot talk about out-dated views on things like homosexuality then you should find your own funding to go and see him.
    A petition will do no good and make you look silly - none of the Number 10 ones ever get taken seriously so why should yours?

Catholics have always been outnumbered in the UK.

I find that third part of your post offensive - please reword it or I shall report the post.

ReputationRep:
    I would say Ratzinger is up there.
    Has he threatened to flatten the western world and take over the world via the sword?

Nope. He is a very holy, shy man.

ReputationRep:
    :curious: I would say Ratzinger is up there.
    This, but to be perfectly honest I'd rather have Ahmedinejad than the Pope, at least it might actually accomplish something.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.