Turn on thread page Beta

Nope to the Pope watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Such as?

We could start with his statement and preaching that condoms are evil and spread aids. Which has led and will lead to millions of deaths in regions of Africa where the Catholic church has a monopoly on AIDS education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Has he threatened to flatten the western world and take over the world via the sword?

Nope. He is a very holy, shy man.
    Right, because Ahmedinejad threatened to take over the world?

What utter pish.

You make the pope sound like an angel or even a saint, when in actual fact he's the head of the Catholic Church, an establishment far worse than anyone or anything that has ever walked on the face of the earth.

I doubt a facebook group is going to tell the Pope to **** off, sadly?! :mad:

At least, we won't have him in London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nwbenc)
    Stop bashing Catholics! No one is forced into being a Catholic, and those baptized as children have the freedom not to practice their faith when they come to an age at which they can choose for themselves (as have many of my friends). The pope has as much right as anyone to express his opinion, and as all diplomatic visitors, have their trip paid for in expenses. I do not agree with everything the Catholic Church teaches, but how can you be so openly against a faith that's main aim is to encourage indiscriminate love between people.
    Exactly, so why is he coming over here to spout his wholly Catholic indoctrined views? Why is it every time he speaks, it is on the news? I'm not Catholic, why should I have to sit through the news and listen to him bash homosexuals? How is it fine for him to say... homosexuals are a bigger threat than global warming? and get away with it, but if he said it about another minority group there would have been an uprising.

In regards to the latter part of your paragraph, he wants to spread love, how he see's it. He is interested in his own perspective only and not of a modern day society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    I doubt a facebook group is going to tell the Pope to **** off, sadly?! :mad:

At least, we won't have him in London
    At least there won't be any hate between us in this thread as we're both Atheists, which is perhaps the only thing we have in common.

Has he threatened to flatten the western world and take over the world via the sword?

Nope. He is a very holy, shy man.
    Don't be ridiculous!

How could you say that, when the Pope has labelled homosexuality and gays themselves as an "intrinsic moral evil"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Why? His personal opinion is a political opinion, such is the position of his office. Regardless of how despicable and abhorrent his message is we have no right to stop him saying it. In the same way we should not be forced to pay for it.
    I'm not saying stop him from saying it, but as far as I'm aware he isn't a political figure but instead a religious figure, at least with regards to the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I'm not saying stop him from saying it, but as far as I'm aware he isn't a political figure but instead a religious figure, at least with regards to the UK.
    Religion and politics are usually the same thing for a few people.

(Original post by Stalin)
    At least there won't be any hate between us in this thread as we're both Atheists, which is perhaps the only thing we have in common.
    It is only one issue we disagree on. I am an antitheist anyway. For me, it isn't even the disbelief in God but the religion is harmful.

So yeah, I think we should invade the Papacy. They have the ultimate WMD ~ the bible! lol

ReputationRep:
    Don't be ridiculous!

How could you say that, when the Pope has labelled homosexuality and gays themselves as an "intrinsic moral evil"?
    I've done that topic to death both with you and several other people on TSR.

I have addressed the matter on the following thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post19095406

In short, you're wrong about what he's "labelled." NO Pope in coming years will change the Catholic Church's stance. Society must accept that.

ReputationRep:
    It is only one issue we disagree on. I am an antitheist anyway. For me, it isn't even the disbelief in God but the religion is harmful.

So yeah, I think we should invade the Papacy. They have the ultimate WMD ~ the bible! lol
    Well in that respect I guess I'm an antitheist too, as are quite a few Atheists.

Do you have proof of this bible you speak of?

ReputationRep:

I have addressed the matter on the following thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post19095406

In short, you're wrong about what he's "labelled." NO Pope in coming years will change the Catholic Church's stance. Society must accept that.
    As I recall you equated homosexuality to a mental illness, with the 'suffers' being 'intrinsically disordered'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Religion and politics are usually the same thing for a few people.
    In our country the state and the religious bodies are apart from each other.

ReputationRep:
    In our country the state and the religious bodies are apart from each other.

Honestly what are you going on about? What point are you trying to make?

ReputationRep:
    People have currently failed to note how rich the Catholic church is. Surely if the pope wants to visit the UK to do whatever business he wants to do then he can dam well pay for it.

I like to compare it to football clubs having to pick up the costs for policing games.

Religion is such tosh anyway, I was taught about the jewish zombie up to totally rejecting it at 18. There's as much chance as him exsisting as me being a dutchman.

/my 2 cents

Bull***.

You are gay and so am I ... How, in this day and age, can you possibly accept someone saying that homosexuality is a "tendency ordered towards an intrinsic moral evil" and think highly of him?

That is deeply homophobic. You are an intelligent guy, and we've had good conversations .. but can't you see how homophobic that is, and the effects that will have on families around the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    As I recall you equated homosexuality to a mental illness, with the 'suffers' being 'intrinsically disordered'.
    The real subject for consideration is sin.

As defined by the Catechism, sin is an offense against GOD, who is infinitely loveable and worthy of our worship. Therefore, ALL SIN whether it takes the form of murder, robbing banks, not going to Mass on Sundays, homosexual acts or some other form, is equally disordered.

Because we believe that God is calling us to perfect order (to be saints). Anything that falls short of this is a disorder.

ReputationRep:
    Bull***.

You are gay and so am I ... How, in this day and age, can you possibly accept someone saying that homosexuality is a "tendency ordered towards an intrinsic moral evil" and think highly of him?

That is deeply homophobic. You are an intelligent guy, and we've had good conversations .. but can't you see how homophobic that is, and the effects that will have on families around the world?
    I'm Catholic. I have no choice. I love the Church and I love the Pope.

Yes I have"the disorder" but it doesn't put constraints on anything apart from my sexual practices. Very few people know how understanding the Church can be of something that is unarguably a TRIAL - it certainly is for me. I find hope and comfort in the Church - which is why I left the Anglican Church.

I think we should agree to disagree on this, because I enjoy talking to you on here. HOpe that's ok

ReputationRep:
    You as in the collective people opposing this bill on the same grounds as the pope.

To simply close your ears to the people who are trying to hep make legislation to discriminate against people is foolish to say the least.
    It's like saying; "I'll just not listen to the BNP".
    In which case everyone who did this would not have a clue on who they are or what policies they have.
    Then if people start voting for them you won't have any debates against them.
    Somehow I doubt you feel the BNP growing in power would be a good thing, but applying your logic as such doesn't seem to be a good idea.
    They are not trying to help make legislation to discriminate against people. They just dont want that law to be imposed on them. Did they complain when it was being drafted in the first place?
    Well actually....the BNP are taking advantage of the media time they are receiving, and this is why they are growing...

I dont oppose the bill btw. I think its a good bill, I just dont want it imposed on the church, or any religious establishment because its undermining some of the concepts of the religion. Sure, they are not perfect, they have their own problems..but this doesnt help it.
    (we are debating about the same thing right..?)

(Original post by robbo3045)
    Well its funny that every time he opens his mouth, it makes the BBC News. So if I somehow turn off all the TV's while he's visiting, I'l wait for him to continue bashing, who I am, and a hell of a lot of people in the UK are, without him having ANY IDEA about what he is talking about, then I'l wait for him to work efficiently at breaking down the only qualities that make living the UK worthwhile, then I'l switch me TV back on and I'l find myself living in somewhere like Iran. Fantastic.
    Eh?...what are you talking about "I'll wait for him to work efficiently at breaking down the only qualities that make living the UK worthwhile" A bit of an exaggeration. And he is not bashing anyone and whats Iran got to do with it?

ReputationRep:
    The real subject for consideration is sin.

As defined by the Catechism, sin is an offense against GOD, who is infinitely loveable and worthy of our worship. Therefore, ALL SIN whether it takes the form of murder, robbing banks, not going to Mass on Sundays, homosexual acts or some other form, is equally disordered.

Because we believe that God is calling us to perfect order (to be saints). Anything that falls short of this is a disorder.
    So you have no problem with the fact that the Pope more or less ranks homosexuals as 2nd class citizens, and not only that but believes it's not right for them to be attracted to the same sex?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.