Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    Well of course, there has never been a legal requirement to conduct state visits; you're statement is nothing more than otiose.
    Ok boss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredCamb)
    He may make some Catholic's happy. But he'll make a hell of a lot more angry atheists very unhappy.
    Fixed.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Just like all Atheists aren't militant.
    Good ol' sarcastic thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Ok boss.
    When did that get there?

ReputationRep:
    Fixed?

ReputationRep:
    Something else upsetting is that Gordon Brown said it would be 'inappropriate' for him to comment on the Pope's visit. If this man thinks he has the right to govern, should he not be prepared to say what he thinks? Show his views?
    Presumably he's worried about souring the UK's relations with countries that are predominately Catholic. He can't win either way though - if he condemns the visit, he alienates Catholics in this country and in other countries, if he welcomes it, then he upsets another group of people. I almost feel sorry for him!

ReputationRep:
    When did that get there?
    Oh, I see you were to quick to edit. Well done.

ReputationRep:
    True, it would make homosexuals unhappy in light of his recent comments and he is slightly right wing. Wouldn’t call him a fascist – the Hitler youth was compulsory when he joined... Gordon Brown is a tad hopeless, intelligent but he won’t ever get public support, doesn’t have charisma – and he’s an awful orator. Yet, it is good to maintain a positive relationship with the Vatican especially as the house of Commons ruled against ever allowing a Catholic to marry into the Royal family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.R91)
    True, it would make homosexuals unhappy in light of his recent comments and he is slightly right wing. Wouldn’t call him a fascist – the Hitler youth was compulsory when he joined... Gordon Brown is a tad hopeless, intelligent but he won’t ever get public support, doesn’t have charisma – and he’s an awful orator. Yet, it is good to maintain a positive relationship with the Vatican especially as the house of Commons ruled against ever allowing a Catholic to marry into the Royal family.
    Mmm... not sure I would put keeping good relations with the Catholic Church above ensuring the liberties of citizens in the UK. (if that's what you're implying...)

(Original post by adamrules247)
    Well for example to anglican/catholic situations, in fact, recently HM dispatched the Lord Champerlain to discuss Her worries with the thing introduced by the Pope for Anglicans to convert the Catholicism.

Also about Christian/Muslim relationship/society, etc.
    so he is here in the capacity to speak of religion?

ReputationRep:
    Mmm... not sure I would put keeping good relations with the Catholic Church above ensuring the liberties of citizens in the UK. (if that's what you're implying...)
    No, the Pope cannot affect the laws being made in this country - he has no legal rights over UK citizens in that respect. Thus, his visit will not affect them in regards to their liberties - were not going to condem people because of what the Pope has said yet, good relations with other countries is highly important.

ReputationRep:
    lol, "yet". sounds pretty scary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    so he is here in the capacity to speak of religion?
    Yes. He is the leader of the Catholic state in case you failed to notice. Lets be honest here, you wouldn't mind if it was the President of Germany, or the Grand Duke of Luxemburg, but you have a huge, huge problem as this is the Pope.

Also, the children in your sig are evangelical christians.

ReputationRep:
    lol, "yet". sounds pretty scary!
    Why? Catholics are condemned all the time. Some of the statements in this thread are proof of that.

ReputationRep:
    I can just see more people being pleased with his visit than upset to be honest. I have friends that could have been insulted by his recents comments - or any of his comments to be blunt. The Pope is entitled to his opinion, we dont have to agree with it or even care for him, this visit will be his first to England, hopefully, it'll be his last, at least some people can find solace in the fact that he came and visited their country - if it makes someone happy and it doesnt scar you, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    The legislation introduced by the government contravenes our religious doctrines; you are in no place to make assumptions and condemn us to having to introduce unnecessary and unwanted provisions in our Church. It's a disgrace that the atheists are so scant in their regard for those who may have religious beliefs. You promote freedom of expression yet limit those who wish to practice their respective faith in the privacy of their own homes only. It's a terrible and avoidable state of affairs.
    They don't though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why so much has to be spent on security and the like. Surely if all the UK's Catholics get together and say a few Hail Marys he'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardine92)
    I don't get why so much has to be spent on security and the like. Surely if all the UK's Catholics get together and say a few Hail Marys he'll be fine.
    love it

(Original post by adamrules247)
    Yes. He is the leader of the Catholic state in case you failed to notice. Lets be honest here, you wouldn't mind if it was the President of Germany, or the Grand Duke of Luxemburg, but you have a huge, huge problem as this is the Pope.

Also, the children in your sig are evangelical christians.
    Exactly and stop talking crap as if he is here on statesmen business. The Pope is here to interfere with religious.

(Original post by cardine92)
    I think he should take some of his own medicine ~ faith ...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.