Turn on thread page Beta

People talking throughout lectures - does this really **** anyone else off? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was in a lecture this morning where there were a group of 5-6 girls sitting behind me talking (not just to the person next to them but across the whole row), giggling, making stupid noises etc. At first it made it difficult to focus, but it progressed to the point that I couldn't even hear my lecturer over them. I glanced back a few times but they seemed oblivious, so eventually I turned around and asked them to be quiet. They stopped talking for a little bit, but it started again towards the end of the lecture.

This has happened to me before (never really to this extent), but it's made me realise just how angry it makes me. The issue of paying 3 and half grand /year for this education is one thing, but then there is also the fact that I have gotten out of bed and made the effort to travel an hour to get to uni, only to have 2 hours of my time wasted because of inconsiderate idiots. How I see it is that when you get to the stage of higher education, you have a choice as to whether or not you are there. What is the point in making the decision to take up a university course if you are just going to **** around? And if you do choose to mess your own education up, do it in a way that doesn't affect others who are actually trying to focus. hfnksrhwgerhiothweiotfejlsnfjkse bfgbsek </rant>

Does anyone else feel like this, or am I just being old and grumpy?

ReputationRep:
    I hate them too, *****

ReputationRep:
    You're not just being old and grumpy. I don't get turning up if you're just going to sit and talk through the whole thing!

ReputationRep:
    it's bloody inconsiderate. If you're not going to listen in a lecture then stfu or get out. If we get bored we text each other or write notes... what's wrong with being considerate to your peers?

Saying that, the odd comment here or there doesn't really bother me.

next time take a machette and wield it in front of the chatterers.

ReputationRep:
    Damn that must be really annoying. If I were you I'd make a big scene and tell them to shut up and others may agree and screw at them as well. I would definately do that, we need to be assertive with these kinds of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    next time take a machette and wield it in front of the chatterers.
    Hee hee, that's a funny image

ReputationRep:
    Go to your student reps and they should bring it up at subject meetings, perhaps suggest lecturers taking a more strict approach i.e. asking people to stop talking or leave or stop the lecture until they're quiet.

Alternatively (which a friend of mine did) put your hand up, so the lecturer addresses you then say I'm sorry to interrupt but (turn to girls) could you all please be quiet or leave because it's ridiculously difficult to concentrate when you're talking.

Everyone will turn around and they will feel embarrassed and shut up.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. There are a group of 4 girls in my class that always sit in front of us in class and they talk absolute **** non stop. They usually sit downstairs with their friends everyday, but come to class like once a week. Why come to college if your not gonna come to class!?

ReputationRep:
    Lol. This happens all the time. But, lol its annoying as hell.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I'm not sure about this. In first year there was 200 people in our lectures, so there was a little whispering, but if you sat at the front the lecturer was really clear. However, now when there's only 30 people in our lectures you can here everything people are saying and its really annoying, and no matter how far forward you are, you can still here it. You know who are the worst.... INTERCALATED MEDICS! They're MEANT to be really clever so please please shut the hell up in lectures. I think because its not their last year, but it IS OURS! Grrr

ReputationRep:
    yeah i just turn around and tell them to shut up..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a lot, it was rife in my first year- made a few threads about it on here actually. However the group of girls have all now dropped out (failed their exams..lol) and it's now a really nice, 'learning' atmosphere in lectures!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, particularly when it's in another language. There is an entire row of lithuaniuns who take non-stop throughout two hour lectures on my course. If you accidentally sit near them it is impossible to concentrate or block it out.

ReputationRep:
    Give me their names and I'll forward them to my special police.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes, it's incredibly annoying.

Some people talk from start to finish...why turn up when they have no intention of learning?!

ReputationRep:
    Sit right at the front...i find the people that sit at the front are more focused so you're less likely to be distracted...I just turn around and say 'I dont mean to be rude but could you just stfu please...' I get bored in lectures but then i just text or doodle but its rude to the lecturer and other people if you're constantly talking...although, the odd conversation here and there is unavoidable in a space of two hours, as long as its quiet..

ReputationRep:
    urgh i hate this !

why cant they be normal and just bring scrap paper and write abusive notes to one another thats what normal people do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeak)
    Go to your student reps and they should bring it up at subject meetings, perhaps suggest lecturers taking a more strict approach i.e. asking people to stop talking or leave or stop the lecture until they're quiet.

Alternatively (which a friend of mine did) put your hand up, so the lecturer addresses you then say I'm sorry to interrupt but (turn to girls) could you all please be quiet or leave because it's ridiculously difficult to concentrate when you're talking.

Everyone will turn around and they will feel embarrassed and shut up.
    that is briiant, I'll keep that in mind should i ever need to use it

Profusely.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.