Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

People talking throughout lectures - does this really **** anyone else off? watch

ReputationRep:
    I always turn around and give people who talk in lectures evils. I don't mind the odd comment here and there, but when it's a constant rambling it's like, why are you wasting your own time as well as mine?!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it does. Luckily on my course its not a group of people all talking at once. Its just a couple of people who always answer every single question (even if they're wrong) and don't give anyone else a chance to answer. They even butt in when you've just started talking, it p***es me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    I was in a lecture this morning where there were a group of 5-6 girls sitting behind me talking (not just to the person next to them but across the whole row), giggling, making stupid noises etc. At first it made it difficult to focus, but it progressed to the point that I couldn't even hear my lecturer over them. I glanced back a few times but they seemed oblivious, so eventually I turned around and asked them to be quiet. They stopped talking for a little bit, but it started again towards the end of the lecture.

This has happened to me before (never really to this extent), but it's made me realise just how angry it makes me. The issue of paying 3 and half grand /year for this education is one thing, but then there is also the fact that I have gotten out of bed and made the effort to travel an hour to get to uni, only to have 2 hours of my time wasted because of inconsiderate idiots. How I see it is that when you get to the stage of higher education, you have a choice as to whether or not you are there. What is the point in making the decision to take up a university course if you are just going to **** around? And if you do choose to mess your own education up, do it in a way that doesn't affect others who are actually trying to focus. hfnksrhwgerhiothweiotfejlsnfjkse bfgbsek </rant>

Does anyone else feel like this, or am I just being old and grumpy?
    Email the lecturer about this concern, my lecturer heard girls behind me giggling, talking, etc. Lecturer in the lesson put all those girls in the spotlight and ask them to leave, giving them a big lecture pretty much what you said, respect others education.

So yeah, do that, hopefully lecturer does something about it, just don't mention names, just give a heads up.

ReputationRep:
    I swear I'm the only person who has NEVER experienced incessant whispering in lecturers.

I did a year of geology and have done a year of physics and so far, I have never ever had the issue of whispering. People just generally shut up. Either you guys are unlucky or I'm just oblivious to the talking!

ReputationRep:
    First step is to move seats to somewhere else in the room. Alright, you shouldn't really have to, but at least be seen to be doing something first. Don't do it in the middle of a lecture, but in general, move where you sit, and if they sit near you, move away before the lecture starts.

If this doesn't help, speak to either your lecturer or even better speak to your course rep, or if you can't get hold of them, your school rep. These are students on your course/in your school who will take matters up and it can all remain anonymous so that it gets sorted with very little fuss. As a result, you should see at least one of your lecturers mention it at some point, just noting to keep the noise to a minimum.

If it's not any better, tell your course/school rep and they'll take it further, possibly with the individuals themselves if it's persistent.

ReputationRep:
    Not in lectures cause I'm still at school but if a teacher is speaking to the whole class then yeah, really annoying. If we're just doing our own thing then it's different.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand *****es making noise in class, giggling away...I'm thinking these whores just don't have any courtesy what so ever :dry:

There's only one way to deal with these inconsiderate morons...tell them to shut up, loud enough for other people to hear so they get embaressed but quiet enough so that you don't become that inconsiderate moron making a loud noise :laugh:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Our library is pretty poor for this. The only computers (all 40 of them :shifty: ) in our main library arn't in a silent study area and it's surrounded by sofas and a big communal area. It's pretty much the same volume as a cafeteria but with people playing music too.. Waste of time.
    Aik, where do you go?

Coventry isn't so bad; the downstairs area has the group work areas and is fairly noisy; the upper levels are split into Silent Zones (no noise at all) and Quiet Zones (pair work, keep your voices down!) with a couple of dedicated rooms for silence. Stairway bits are the Phone Zone for calls and stuff. We also have a 'Learning Lounge' which is a group area and you can eat in there as well, but that tends to be busy.

There are a **** load of computers, but it is often harder to find somewhere without one (most students here use their laptop), on my floor at least.

Incidentally, our library won an architectural award thing It's 'highly innovative' and very energy efficient.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, especially in Games and Decisions, where the lecturer is actually really cool, and very funny if you listen closely. But everyone just blabbers over the top of him 'cause he's really shy and nerdy.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Just throw them out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    I swear I'm the only person who has NEVER experienced incessant whispering in lecturers.

I did a year of geology and have done a year of physics and so far, I have never ever had the issue of whispering. People just generally shut up. Either you guys are unlucky or I'm just oblivious to the talking!
    In my experience it depends on the course. In my lectures lots of people talk, and it's very annoying. I've spoken to course reps and lecturers about it and I sit at the front now so that I can hear the lecturer.

But I've asked everyone else in my halls and they all say their lectures are silent.

ReputationRep:
    Argh, it seriously enrages me when people talk throughout lectures. I end up wanting to beat them with a very large stick. Dx< (And that's when I'm feeling merciful.)

It enrages me even more when the lecturer ignores them and just carries on regardless. MAKE THEM SHUT UP AND LISTEN WHEN THEY'RE IN YOUR LECTURES, YOU FOOL.

ReputationRep:
    Ack, I hate that! All I'm hearing about is who got laid last night or who drank the most shots...I can't even hear the bloody lecturer regardless of where I sit.

Although last term, my anger did manage to get the better of me. This group behind me were talking throughout the lecture until the lecturer posed a question to all of us. Only time they went silent...in fact, everyone was...for a rather awkward length of time. So I said that I have an interesting point but because I don't like to take credit for something that isn't my idea, I would like to defer to those from whom I heard it, which would be the group behind me.

Too bad that they didn't even know what the question was and had nothing of any value to say. When the lecturer realised that they hadn't even been listening, they were told to leave. :p:

YES . .grrrr it pisses me off. I have a hard time as it concentrating, but when the nattering starts - it drives me nutssss. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    It is annoying, but eventually you do learn to drain it out. Thankfully Im in small lectures (of about 20), so no-one tends to talk as they know the lecturer will spot them.

A few quiet word don't hurt, but anything more it get irritating.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.